Halloweenin' anyone?
Oct 25, 2002 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

neil

500+ Head-Fier
When I was a kid I loved halloween. Free candy -- pillow cases full of it. I think the last time I went out was when I was in my early 20s. Then, I graduated to halloween parties. But to be honest, I just kinda got sick of getting all dressed up.

But, for some people, it's still a huge thing -- I mean, the parties, the candy, the costumes, the parties (heh). Any of you guys throwing or going to parties, or heck, even hitting the streets with your buddies?

My cousin is a halloween nut. He's throwing some halloween bash out in Boston. He's an artist too (really funny stuff), and in fact, here's a Hizzappy Hizzalloween shirt that maybe m00 could appreciate.

Oct 25, 2002 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 18
I'm going to a halloween party!!!.

I couldn't think of a costume, so i'll just tie a potato around my waist and go as a dictator.

Oct 25, 2002 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 18
Oh, I get it
wink.gif

"Heh, Heh. He said dictator!"

Oct 25, 2002 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 18
For some reason, this talk of Halloween made me think of a Halloween photo I saw on a Head-Fi member's web site (phidauex). Unfortunately, phidauex hasn't posted here in a while, but I'll never forget the photo.

I believe that's phidauex on the right. His costume is titled "Mindless Jellyfish Sam".

dennissam.jpg

I think I laughed for five minutes straight when I first saw this pic (and even now as I'm looking at it)! Oh, man....

Oct 26, 2002 at 6:03 PM Post #6 of 18
Traditionally, at my house we go overboard...

I'm slightly technically inclined, so I'm usually the one responsible for decorating, setting up the fog machine, placing the blacklights, getting Fred the Skull (yep, a real one - my dad got him for his birthday when he was going to medical school) to glow red, making sure my friends know how to work the flashpaper pyrotechnics, setting up my flash pot(green flash powder... woohoo!
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
), setting up the strobe light, bolting the minature-strobe-like-light to the bottom of the candy bowl (one year a bunch of ne'r do wells tried to steal it), making sure the dry ice was sufficiently dry and icy, dropping a green glowstick in the dry ice bowl...

Unfortunately, this year I haven't had NEARLY enough time to prepare everything... so it looks like we'll just go trick-or-treating (maybe visit Mr.Gates' house? Apparently he gives out king-size candy bars...)

Oct 26, 2002 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 18
My kid's B'day (the first one) is on October the 31st. So we decided to have a costume party on November the 2nd (Day of the Day, the Mexican Halloween) for him. We are going to dress him up a a devil and then as an angel. Both costumes suite his personality pretty well. Bu really, Halloween is not something I like a lot. I woul rather go to a place like Janitzio, state of Michoacan, and have a traditional celebration for the dead. They have a lake there, and they sail in it, under the light of candles. It's beautiful. In Mexico we try to give it a more religious/spiritual meaning to all, since we believe that's the day when our dead beloved come back to join us. But hey, children like to party, and we just have to give in.

Oct 26, 2002 at 7:39 PM Post #8 of 18
I refuse to participate in Halloween. This is American cultural imperialism at it's worst.

Last year, I got about 4 kids knocking on my door:
-Trick Or Treat?
-You do realise what country we're in, don't you?
-Eh?
-This is ENGLAND, We don't do this sort of nonsense.
-But we're supposed to get sweets!
-Only in America. Bugger off.
-MUMMY!!!!! WAAAAAA!

evil_smiley.gif

I mean, I don't run around my house shouting "Oniwa-Soto!, Fukuwa-Uchi!" in February, do I? I'd look a right berk if I did.

Oct 26, 2002 at 9:01 PM Post #10 of 18
Where I grew up Halloween was great fun. The houses were quite a ways apart so we really didn't collect that much candy but we made the trek every year. The evening always culminated at the same house. The father was president of a company that produced apple cider. When all the kids got there he would have a party for us. All kinds of treats topped of with freshly pressed apple juice. It was always a fun time no matter what the weather. Now days I meet the kids at the door and make an effort to give out treats that they really like. It is too bad the days of carmel apples are gone.

Oct 26, 2002 at 9:27 PM Post #11 of 18
Haha, great post, bagraman. You probably wouldn't be pleased to hear that while living overseas we celebrated Independence Day with our Scottish friends -- nothing quite like blowing things up to the melody of a bagpipe. A little strange on both our parts, I guess, but probably inspired by a mutual disdain for the English.

kerely

Oct 27, 2002 at 7:12 AM Post #12 of 18
**** halloween, the year before last I lurked in the shadows dressed as a mexican outlaw with my massive supersoaker and blasted party goers outside the civic center.

Last year I went to a party as the 69 rebel, I turned a T shirt inside out and wrote 69 rebel on it. Then I put on a straw hat and tied a plastic toad with a big hard on to the front of it with a long piece of red ribbon. I proceeded to play spin the bottle with mildly attractive sexually repressed, retardimated bitches, non of whom knew how to kiss worth a damn, and the lot of which I could have scored with simply by asking or alternatively avoiding speech altogether and just dropping my shorts. It was one of the stupidest events of my life and im ashamed to have participated. If not for the sheer genius of my costume I would never mention it.
wink.gif

This halloween I plan to just skip the event altogether and do so called "important" things.

Oct 27, 2002 at 8:40 AM Post #13 of 18
Last year we adopted my parents way of Halloween. They are very religious.
We locked up the house about a 1/2 hour before it got dark and got in the car and went for a drive. Since it was a full moon last year we ended up at a place where everybody takes their dirt bikes and 4 wheelers and did a little off roading and a little shooting of the old 45 acp under the full moon at midnight. Very much fun and a lot better than feeding the neighbor hood brats junk food.
This year will probably be similar. Unfortunatley the moon is not full, so there may not be enough light to do any shooting.

Oct 27, 2002 at 8:58 AM Post #14 of 18
My avatar did enough halloweening for the both of us. And besides, our good old rugby parties are better than the Halloween party I missed tonight, and we don't even need to dress up in unimaginative costumes to get our cheap beer.

Oct 27, 2002 at 10:56 AM Post #15 of 18
How many of you guys have a curfew in your city/town? We have a horn/siren that goes off and that means no more trick or treatin'. I think its 8:00 or 8:30 PM. Very odd. When I was a kid we stayed out for longer, looking for those anxious porch people waiting to give out the rest of their loot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back