Halloween Movie Fright List
Oct 27, 2002 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

DarkAngel

DarkAngel's a man, baby!
Ok ghouls it's that time of year to list your creepiest/scariest horror/slasher films and tell us why you chose them, perhaps mention some memorable kill scences........
very_evil_smiley.gif

I was just at Best Buy and noticed there is new DVD widescreen edition of Halloween with 12 extra minutes added, almost walked home with it even though I have wide screen VHS version, it may yet be mine soon.......I need to see those 12 minutes, heh heh

Oct 28, 2002 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 47
LOL ! Jerry Lewis, yeah, got shivers down my spine just thinking about it...

Actually I'm enjoying some old B&W classics (The Mummy, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Wolfman, etc) on AMC's frightfest. I love those old black & white classics with Bela Lugosi, Lon Chaney Jr., Boris Karloff, etc. Loved the old Hammer classics too, with Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, etc. Grew up on those...

Oct 28, 2002 at 12:45 AM Post #6 of 47
I haven't seen it yet, but The Ring has garnered some interest. It's a film that was remade from a Japanese slasher flick. I'd rather see the Japanese original, but for convenience sake I might just walk down to the theatre to watch this one.

But if you want some real-life-poop-yer-pants scariness...

I have two midterms and a project due on halloween this year
frown.gif

Oct 28, 2002 at 1:09 AM Post #7 of 47
The Exorcist
Prince of Darkness
Hellraiser 1 and 2

Oct 28, 2002 at 1:09 AM Post #8 of 47
DA,

cool thread. i don't usually go in for the slasher films for halloween. like HighwayStar, i go for the old universal B&W's. hammer films are great too.

for me, i like to watch halloween films i used to watch when i was a kid.

i'll probably watch the spanish version of dracula (1931) -- it's actually better than the english version. or maybe the mummy (1932). no doubt i'll throw on the killer shrews (1959).
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2002 at 1:12 AM Post #9 of 47
john carpenter's "the thing": the ultimate monster movie. nothing comes close. best moment: electro-shock paddles scene.

"dawn of the dead": best zombie film by romero.

"return of the living dead": funny and scary. watch for "tarman".

"evil dead 2": funny/scary, perhaps most blood in any horror film, with the exception of...

"the shining": ok this has the most blood.

"the blob" (1988): requisite dumb 80's horror flick, with superior effects. showstopper scene: when the janitor tries to use a plunger on the blob.

"candyman": very creepy, good story

"alien": of course, everyone knows about the chest******* scene. lots of scares.

"the fog": good old fashioned ghost story. watch for "wormface".

"the others": sophisticated, lots of jolts, surprise ending. great dvd if you have a surround system.

"the 6th sense": another great surprise ending, plus very eerie.

"prince of darkness": this dvd might be harder to find, but it must be seen on dvd. watch for alice cooper (he's scary, right?).

well, that should get you started. enjoy!

Oct 28, 2002 at 1:12 AM Post #10 of 47
If you want really cool Vampire movies with great gothic atmospherics, very visually artistic, yet heavy on the blood:
-Subspecies II, Bloodstone
-Subspecies III, Bloodlust

These blow away the big budget Hollywood duds:
Interview with vampire
Dracula (coppula)
These are about as creepy/scary as Caspar the Ghost.....Boooo!

Subspecies II & III also has the incomparable Denise Duff, queen of scream for B grade horror flicks

Oct 28, 2002 at 1:17 AM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by HighwayStar
LOL ! Jerry Lewis, yeah, got shivers down my spine just thinking about it...

Actually I'm enjoying some old B&W classics (The Mummy, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Wolfman, etc) on AMC's frightfest. I love those old black & white classics with Bela Lugosi, Lon Chaney Jr., Boris Karloff, etc. Loved the old Hammer classics too, with Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, etc. Grew up on those...

LOL, Ken...me too! However, I'm now jumping back and forth to the World Series Game 7....this is real scary...

biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2002 at 1:26 AM Post #12 of 47
Redshifter
Carpenter's "thing" does take the original to another level, the SFX are very good and creepy seeing people/dogs tranform into the alien, good suspense A+

I like Romero's "day of the dead" a little better vs "dawn of dead" because of higher graphic carnage factor, but the concept of dawn is brillant..........a shopping mall full of mindless zombies plus a motorcyle gang just for kicks, sheer genius! (hare krishna zombies are a hoot!)

Alien/Aliens are two of the greatest movies ever made in any genre in my book, near perfect.

Oct 28, 2002 at 1:32 AM Post #13 of 47
Night of the Lepus.

Giant rabbits attack and kill many people in Nevada. I was scared that I was going to die... laughing. Seriously this is one of the worst "horror" movies I have ever seen, with slow-motion pictures of rabbits running around on small-scale sets, and flaming rags danged around to try and look like flaming rabbits. Plus there is the problem that no matter how hard you try, you cannot make cottontail rabbits look scary, no matter how big they are.

If you want something classic you can get THEM. Or texas chainsaw massere.

Oct 28, 2002 at 1:39 AM Post #14 of 47
Gloco
I really like Pinhead also, Hellraiser II is my favorite by far the labyrinth concept is fabulous, visually stunning and ties in well with the puzzle box theme. The plot is very well thought out and has unexpected twists and surprises. We get to see more of the cenobites which is always a good thing, some incredibly graphic kills here, not for the squeamish.

Oct 28, 2002 at 1:45 AM Post #15 of 47
Not really scary, but really fun is the "ghoulies" series.

Scary-wise... go with anything by hitchcock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back