Hakko 936 users
Mar 20, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by seanohue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm I'm having a real tough time with this. I think proper heat levels may make this easier. I'm trying to solder 30ga wires to the pins on a chip and I keep making bridges between the pins. I don't want to kill the chip on the board that I am working on because, well, its going to be expensive if I mess up. What can I try to do this more effectively? Temp ranges, tips, techniques, etc all help.

Get flux on the pins. Flux helps solder stick to the metal rather than kinda hanging there by itself.

Mar 20, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #17 of 22
Ok, I have a feeling I'm using the wrong thing for flux. I have this sort of hard paste (bought it at rat shack, go figure
rolleyes.gif
) that is supposed to be applied with a brush, but from what you guys are saying is there like a squirt bottle for this stuff or something?

Mar 20, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Ok, I have a feeling I'm using the wrong thing for flux. I have this sort of hard paste (bought it at rat shack, go figure
rolleyes.gif
) that is supposed to be applied with a brush, but from what you guys are saying is there like a squirt bottle for this stuff or something?

The paste is fine, as long as it's the non-corrosive type. Unfortunately, this stuff used to be softer back in the day.
wink.gif
Dip your iron into the paste to melt and soften a section. Then you dip the tip of the solder or a part into the soft part of the flux - very similar to chips and dip.
wink.gif
Depending on what you're soldering, only "a little dab'll do you", though.

Boy, I am really dating myself.
blink.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #19 of 22
Much (all?) of the liquid rosin fluxes have alcohol in them, you might take a plastic spoon, put some alcohol in it and see if you can dissolve the paste by stirring it around a bit. If you can, you can make your own liquid flux with what you have to the viscosity you want, then choose an appropriate application container for that viscosity.

Mar 21, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #20 of 22
I love flux now
icon10.gif
Solder stays put now! I was able to do the same parts much easier with the big tip at 700F, thanks for all the help
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

I love flux now
icon10.gif
Solder stays put now! I was able to do the same parts much easier with the big tip at 700F, thanks for all the help
biggrin.gif

Praise the gods! Someone else has seen the light and found flux. Use it liberally and spread the word, flux is your friend
icon10.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #22 of 22
Oh I have one more question, this one's about getting the flux off
tongue.gif
Are aerosaul flux removers ok to use or should I use a liquid like isopropyl alcohol (91%)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back