Hairball Mishap...
Jan 16, 2010 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Zaubertuba

100+ Head-Fier
So, I'm sitting in my chair watching Deep Space Nine a couple of nights ago.

I have our cat, Daphne, in my lap with a blanket. Nice and cozy. Daphne's really been an outdoor cat since she started a nasty habit of marking things, but I bring her in from time to time when she'll stay put on my lap where I can keep an eye on her.

Suddenly, she starts up with that wide-eyed "I got a hairball" look and a couple of dry coughs.

"Oh Crap," Thinks I.
eek.gif

I grab her (as carefully as you can quickly grab a cat trying to cough up a hairball) and start across the living room to the door, to get her out to the garage where she can get the darned hairball out in peace (and without staining/damaging anything on my person or inside the house).

CRASH!

Something pulls on my head and I fall halfways to my knees, still partially holding the cat, having a *real* bad feeling in my gut as I look back--knowing already what I've done.
frown.gif

My recabled HD555's are still partly on my head, the cord stretched across the living room to the amp, which I yanked rather abruptly off the end table on to the floor.

"O.K., first things first," think I, "whatever damage I did is already done..." so I somehow slip the headphones off and half carry/coax Daphne back out to the Garage.

I walk back to the living room and assess the damage.

The amp took a big bounce on the carpet. The dual trs 1/4" plugs I used for the recable yanked partially out of the jacks, as did the dual 1/4" trs plugs I used on the cable from my E-Mu to the amp. I was using a sub-standard cheap power socket for the wall-wart powering the amp which pulled free as soon as the amp left the end table.

The headphones and their cable, miraculously, appear to be undamaged. I turn the volume down, plug everything back in and slowly bring the volume back up.

Sound--in both sides. Disaster averted. How lucky can a guy get?
atsmile.gif

If I had been wearing my HD580's I can't help but think I would have damaged the cable, at the least.

Lessons Learned:

1.) Cable ties and shrink tape were a *really* good choice for strain-relief.

2.) Going cheap isn't necessarily always bad. The cheap dual-trs components I used on this first build "gave" a little bit. If I had used locking 1/4" or XLR jacks something (most likely the headphone plastic, IMO) might easily have broken. If the power cord hadn't pulled out I might have shorted my 'phones and permanently damaged them.

3.) Mogami 3106 is nearly bullet-proof.

...and, most importantly...

4.) Be sure to remember to feed the cat hairball formula before you listen to your headphones.
tongue.gif

Anybody else experience any similar absent-minded mishaps?

Edit: ....and what lessons did you learn?

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ouch my heart would of sank really hard if that happened to me. I feel for you and your equipment.

Thanks! I actually feel awfully lucky--like I said my HD555's ended up fine, as did my amp. Hopefully nothing rattles loose now.
rolleyes.gif

The recable of my HD580's just jumped a few notches on my priority list, though!
wink.gif

Jan 16, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #5 of 12
No serious mishaps yet, but I've had the same issue with spraying cats.

Sorry to hear about that - it sucks. I've had to move a couple of kitties mostly outside because of it. They're coping, but I really enjoyed having them inside.

Jan 16, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #6 of 12
Our garage is just in front of me when I am studying. I saw one of our cats spraying my scooter.
redface.gif

For your reason though I don't like the locking (Neutrik) jacks. The jack on the Goldpoint is also pretty tight.

Jan 17, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #7 of 12
I got half way down that post and actually called out “oh no!” The significant other looked at me with eyes of panic until she noticed I was reading something online. You nearly had my worst hi-fi disaster come true! As said, had that been (my LD Mk IV SE) with locking jacks it could have been very bad. Nightmare.

Jan 17, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #8 of 12
LOL nice story mate. My cat has been having a lot of hair balls recently so I'm well versed in the art of rushing the cat onto tiles so he can chuck it out. I still haven't done the walk away with headphones on thing yet but I know it can only be around the corner
tongue.gif

Also some sympathy from me for the spraying. Our cat has only done it a handful of times inside the house but he enjoys what was my afternoon reading chair . .. .

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #9 of 12
The need to make acceptable wireless headphones
eek.gif

Or next time get a hairless cat!!!

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #10 of 12
It's hard not to read the op with a thread title like that.
wink.gif

Jan 17, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to hear about that - it sucks. I've had to move a couple of kitties mostly outside because of it. They're coping, but I really enjoyed having them inside.

Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Our garage is just in front of me when I am studying. I saw one of our cats spraying my scooter.
redface.gif

Quote:

Also some sympathy from me for the spraying. Our cat has only done it a handful of times inside the house but he enjoys what was my afternoon reading chair . .. .

Daphne actually once sprayed a portable propane heater I had sitting out in the garage. They really must feel like they *have* to mark things that are our of place. It is nice bringing her in--when she's not having hairballs, that is.

I guess I should consider myself lucky--at least she hasn't sprayed my motorcycle. Or perhaps she's lucky she hasn't sprayed my motorcycle.
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

For your reason though I don't like the locking (Neutrik) jacks. The jack on the Goldpoint is also pretty tight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sithompson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got half way down that post and actually called out “oh no!” The significant other looked at me with eyes of panic until she noticed I was reading something online. You nearly had my worst hi-fi disaster come true! As said, had that been (my LD Mk IV SE) with locking jacks it could have been very bad. Nightmare.

Yeah, it could have been very bad. Another funny thing--I just re-soldered a bad signal ground wire joint on this amp last week...just wonder what might have happened if it hadn't had gone bad when it did.
rolleyes.gif

Of course, it figures that I'm planning on using locking XLR's on my next balanced build. I guess "hairball prone cat" is going to be on the cautionary list when I finish it and start listening to it.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL nice story mate. My cat has been having a lot of hair balls recently so I'm well versed in the art of rushing the cat onto tiles so he can chuck it out. I still haven't done the walk away with headphones on thing yet but I know it can only be around the corner
tongue.gif

Glad you enjoyed it. I was hoping people would be able to get a laugh out of it, in addition to the cautionary tale.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The need to make acceptable wireless headphones
eek.gif

Yeah - or maybe a snazzy magnetic break-away connector like the AC plugs I've seen on some Macbooks.
wink.gif

Quote:

Or next time get a hairless cat!!!

LOL!
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back