Hagerman Audio Labs "Tuba"
Mar 29, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #62 of 383
Dang Jim - why didn't you make this a kit?

I don't make any money selling kits! No can pay rent. The kits (when available) have mostly been used for advertising purposes; getting the word out, generating some buzz. I'm doing it again in the guitar pedal world...

Mar 30, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #63 of 383
Yeah, I get that, but I really enjoyed making your kits. I need another headphone amp like I need another hole in my head but I'm considering this one anyway. Is there a way to make the crossfeed circuit switchable if it's installed?

Mar 31, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #65 of 383
I like the Tube even more than anticipated :sweat_smile: What I can surely say by now, that functionality-wise, this is the perfect desktop tube-amplifier. In my opinion, the solution with the volume-knob and power-button combined is done brilliantly and feels more sturdy than initially thought (in fact, very sturdy). The Tuba is super cute and easy-going :smile_cat: Sound-wise I'm as impressed as with the rest of it.

Mar 31, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #66 of 383
After resisting for a whole 2 weeks, I just put in my order for a TUBA. Can anyone plz tell me what can i expect, sound signature wise, from the tuba compared to my liquid platinum? is my LP obsolete now?

Mar 31, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #67 of 383
I guess you'll find out soon........when you do, let us know.

Apr 1, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #68 of 383
After resisting for a whole 2 weeks, I just put in my order for a TUBA. Can anyone plz tell me what can i expect, sound signature wise, from the tuba compared to my liquid platinum? is my LP obsolete now?

I would say you can expect a stellar amp for not so power-hungry headphones. I'm using the Tuba with a Denon D9200 from it's low impedance output, and it has everything I hoped for: non-fatiguing, quite transparent I'd say, has enough thump for modern music (I like Hip-Hop and electronic music) but still that 'tubeyness' I can't live without. Haven't listened to it enough to make a final statement, but it's sounding very nice in my opinion.
Compared to the Liquid Platinum I'm sure it has way less power, but as said, if you use the Tuba with not too power-hungry headphones, that really doesn't matter and can even be an advantage as you have a wider range on the volume-knob.

Apr 1, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #70 of 383

The Tuba is transparent and very natural sounding. A very well balanced headphone amplifier. I have not heard an LP so I can't comment on its sound.

Jim builds a great product for a very reasonable price. Add his 10 year transferable warranty and you have an incredible value for your audio dollar.

I really enjoy my Hagerman Audio Labs Castanet. You can turn the volume control all the way up and there's no distortion. The Tuba is based upon the Castanet's circuit topoplogy, except that the Tuba uses a pair of EL 84 tubes, while the Castanet uses a single 6H30 tube.

My Castanet is 13 years old and still sounds great! A testament to the excellent quality of the components Jim uses in his products.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #71 of 383
Thank you alex and jimmy for your response. I currently own a lcd-x, hd660s, focal clear, DCA Aeon 2 Closed and a ZMF Auteur on the way. Are an of those considered power hungry? Additionally, I own a THX 887 amp which has plenty of power to drive anything. So my dilemma is that should I keep my LP alongside my Tuba? My personal opinion is that my 887 and LP sounds fairly similar (w/ the LP adding some tubish flavor to it).

Apr 1, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #72 of 383
Thank you alex and jimmy for your response. I currently own a lcd-x, hd660s, focal clear, DCA Aeon 2 Closed and a ZMF Auteur on the way. Are an of those considered power hungry? Additionally, I own a THX 887 amp which has plenty of power to drive anything. So my dilemma is that should I keep my LP alongside my Tuba? My personal opinion is that my 887 and LP sounds fairly similar (w/ the LP adding some tubish flavor to it).

So why not wait and compare the LP and the Tuba side-by-side? I'd say none of your dynamic headphones should pose any problems for the Tuba, with your planar magnetic ones I honestly have no idea, but the two you mentioned shouldn't be that difficult to drive either I think - maybe someone more knowledgable than I can chime in.

Apr 1, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #73 of 383
The Tuba is transparent and very natural sounding. A very well balanced headphone amplifier. I have not heard an LP so I can't comment on its sound.

Jim builds a great product for a very reasonable price. Add his 10 year transferable warranty and you have an incredible value for your audio dollar.

I really enjoy my Hagerman Audio Labs Castanet. You can turn the volume control all the way up and there's no distortion. The Tuba is based upon the Castanet's circuit topoplogy, except that the Tuba uses a pair of EL 84 tubes, while the Castanet uses a single 6H30 tube.

My Castanet is 13 years old and still sounds great! A testament to the excellent quality of the components Jim uses in his products.

I want to agree that the Tuba brings incredible value. One is tempted to think that you get the audio quality (and everything else) the worth you paid for, but the Tuba makes you think otherwise - also that it doesn't need to cost $2000+ to satisfy you (me in this case :beyersmile:).

Apr 1, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #74 of 383

You're welcome!

The LCD X needs a decent amount of power to sound its best, as does the
HD 660. My Castanet runs my Fostex T50RP MK3 and Hifiman HE4XX just
fine at 75% volume. I can max it without any distortion. You should be
able to do the same with the Tuba.

In fact, I use my Castanet with all of the headphones in my Head-Fi signature and they all sound great. The Castanet also scales really well with better headphones. It does not play quite as loud with planar magnetic headphones as it does with dynamics, however, the sound is rich and detailed.

I would go as far as to say that the Castanet and Tuba offer completely fatigue free listening for hours on end.

Best of luck with your new Tuba!

Jim

Apr 1, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #75 of 383
I want to agree that the Tuba brings incredible value. One is tempted to think that you get the audio quality (and everything else) the worth you paid for, but the Tuba makes you think otherwise - also that it doesn't need to cost $2000+ to satisfy you (me in this case :beyersmile:).

Very well said.
The Tuba is a quality product that offers substance over flash. All of Jim's
products are that way. They perform well beyond their price point, while
giving years of faithful service.

Glad that you are enjoying yours!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back