Had dealings with questionable seller (other forums) and I need advice
Mar 3, 2006 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

pennylane

500+ Head-Fier
So, I bought an Xbox1 to use as a media center in the living room. In order to use it as a media center, I have to mod it (I plan on softmodding), and I was prepared to do that. However, the modding is what makes this situation complicated.

I just received the xbox today and the packaging was horrible. The unit was shipped in the original xbox box without any extra padding or peanuts or anything. The actual console seems solidly built and not fragile. Cosmetically it's in good shape. I tested it out and it worked fine (all the controllers also seem to work fine). However, I'm concerned about its longterm functionality. If it works fine now, do you think it can break sometime down the road?

I'm hesitant to mod it now because if something goes wrong, I won't be sure if it were my fault or the fault of the seller. The seller had good ratings and I expected a better job with the packaging.

Also, he shipped me the wrong power cable. I had to borrow a cable from a friend to test it out. I'll get him to ship out the right one, but I'm not sure what to do about the other stuff.

Should I mod the xbox right away? Should I wait awhile to make sure it keeps working? Should I demand anything from him now? I'm fairly certain the seller was just careless and not trying to fleece me or anything. But I don't know how to proceed. Should I try to get him to agree to refund me some of the money if something goes wrong later? Even if I mod the xbox myself?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #2 of 10
hard drives are finky about being tossed around or bounced hard. i would demand a refund with shipping prepaid. from there, you can show him how packing is done right, or do it his style.

Mar 3, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #4 of 10
Buying used you take you chances.

If it works you're ahead of the game. If the seller agrees you could return it, the shipping won't be refunded and you'll also end up footing the bill for return shipping.

If packaging is important to you it should be discussed before the deal is made.

Mar 3, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #5 of 10
Listen, unfortunately most people either have no idea how to pack, don't care or don't want to spend the extra $ on materials.

Ultimately it's up to you. XBox's are built quite well compared to other HD based mass market equip, but you're piece of mind is worth something too. If Xbox's weren't readily available I'd say keep it.

Good luck

Mar 3, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 10
I would hang onto it, Xbox's are pretty tough and take quite a beating, you'll be fine. Contact the seller however and get the power cord that you should have got, and you'll be good to go.

Mar 3, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #7 of 10
"i would demand a refund with shipping prepaid."

Why? You paid for a working X-box and you recieved a working X-box.

What form of warranty do you think comes with buying a used item?

Mitch

Mar 3, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #8 of 10
Don't worry about the HD. After a bit you will want to put a bigger HD in it anyhow. Best bet is a 250gig, anything bigger and you can get data corruption problems (unless thats been fixed), you can go bigger just no one single partition bigger. I have been running a modded xbox as a media center for almost.. 3? years now I think it is. Love it.

Mar 4, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #9 of 10
You're going to mod it anyway, ditch the slow 8 gig drive and put in a fast 200gig. If it arrived in good working order, then I say transaction complete, unless some kind of warranty was implied, in which case I'm sure modding would void it.

Mar 4, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #10 of 10
I understand your concern, but it is currently working and that is a very good sign. I would inform the seller about your concerns (i.e., the poor packaging and no cable) and then repeatedly test the XboX as much as possibly within the next two to three weeks. If the unit works flawlessly within that timeframe, you should be alright because if something is going to go wrong or if you are going to notice something it should happen within at least the first 20 to 25 days of ownership. If something happens after 30 days, you would be very hard pressed to prove it was the result of his poor packaging and not some other cause.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back