Had a listen to the Beats today....
Sep 6, 2011 at 2:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ytisawfulnow

100+ Head-Fier
After hearing so much from 10-16 year olds about how amazing these headphones were i decided to check them out, this was my reaction:

For a long time i considered those earbuds that come with iPod's or the Skullcandy skullcrushers to be the worst headphones i've ever listened to... I am changed.

These headphones are awful, there's no better word to summarize them, I could get better sound out of a $1 canalphone, without a doubt most overrated headphones of all time. $250?! What a joke! More like $2.50, plus they leaked like hell and if they weren't noise cancelling headphones i wouldn't be surprised. To be a bit on the positive side they were VERY comfortable, but that's about the only good thing i could say about them, what do you guys think?

Sep 6, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #3 of 15

When I tried them out at BB I thought the demo setup was broken. Thats how bad they sounded.

Sep 6, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #4 of 15
This is same as persuading a PC builder to switch to Mac platform. I found Mac's overpriced too, but what can I do about it? They are good for professional use (e.g. business people) But there's a catch, I think the only Macbook that worth the price in their lineup probably goes to MacBook Air because there are no other companies that can make it that light, thin, and sexy look.

Sep 6, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
This is same as persuading a PC builder to switch to Mac platform. I found Mac's overpriced too, but what can I do about it? They are good for professional use (e.g. business people) But there's a catch, I think the only Macbook that worth the price in their lineup probably goes to MacBook Air because there are no other companies that can make it that light, thin, and sexy look.

Thats cause Apple offers what other companies can't offer (except for (sort of) Samsung, thats why Apple's scared of samsung) 

Things Apple laptops offer that no other companies offer: OSX, battery life, build quality, design, trackpad, magsafe, thinness (MBA)

Things that Beats offer that no other companies can offer: -                  (nothing)

Sep 6, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #7 of 15
<Awaits the wave of haters>

Beats is a secret god-send for the industry. It is driving products like the USB ASUS Essence One and
other products into the mainstream.

Sure they may not be a great all round headphone but their impact on the industry is very positive.

I'd rather see more $400AUD Beat owners around than the usual tribe of ibud wearers. Some
of them will eventually come around if they've actually spent that sort of cash in the first place
unless of course it was purely as a fashion statement.

Sep 6, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #9 of 15
I would say that the beats are the epitome of most teens today...superficial. They emphasize looks and "swag" over everything else. That being said, if I was rich I would probably own a pair just to look cool in public
cool.gif
(without ever listening to them)
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
When I tried them out at BB I thought the demo setup was broken. Thats how bad they sounded.

I don't think that's true at all. I think the demo stations I've heard at Best Buys sounded pretty good which is surprising that when I bring it home I would find immense midrange distortion (Beats Pros, Studios, and Solos). I noticed recessing frequencies around 5K kept the distortion at bay which is probably similar to what the source in the demo station was doing.

Sep 6, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #11 of 15
If you're going to bash a product, at least do it the decency of naming it specifically...there's what, 3 or 4 models of headphones called "Beats"? Which one did you hear?

Sep 6, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
Beats By Dr. Dre Solo

I hate that headphone, but I don't mind it's sound signature... Nice, warm unoffending vocals. Too bad the distortion is off the charts. My girlfriend likes it though. She actually likes it as much as the dam Audio Technica ESW10JPN that I gave her.

Sep 6, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #15 of 15
Beat Solo, Pro, Studio, Detox whatever, I heard all of them and regrettably had all except Detox.
It's awful headphones for the price.

Seriously, you should be a shame if you find these cans are acceptable to your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back