Ha-rx700 simple mods(and some inside pictures)
Nov 6, 2008 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

jaudio

100+ Head-Fier
I couldnt listen to most jazz on these headphone,so I decided to trying and tame the bass just a little. I added a bit of form and a piece of shelf lining.

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 18
with shelf inner

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 18
To open up the mids and highs,I removed the felt ring. The soundstage widen some.

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #4 of 18
....and....how did it sound??

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 18
Felt removed.

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by micmacmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....and....how did it sound??

Better. I can listen to most jazz now. If you dont like the sound,you can undo the mods.

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 18
The back of the driver

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 18
How do you crack it open like that?

Nov 6, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you crack it open like that?

With a finger. Push and lift at same time. There are 3 screws holding the baffle.

Nov 6, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #10 of 18
Thanks so much for the info! I've been curious about this, just haven't had time to screw around with these, let alone really audition these since they arrived.
Coming from bass light 701's these are a bit brash at first, yet very fun and involving. Taming the bass, even a notch, would be grand.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To open up the mids and highs,I removed the felt ring. The soundstage widen some.

How did you remove the felt ring? Is the ring 'glued' on?

If I don't like the sound signature of it after peeling it off, is it still possible to put the felt ring back?

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #12 of 18
There are 2 layers of the felt. I would recommend taking off only the top layer (peels right off) because the bottom layer helps keep hair and dirt out of the driver. Taking the felt off is hard to undo, but it shouldn't change the sound signature so much that you will suddenly hate it. Only a slight improvement in mids imo.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #13 of 18
this is one variation of the mod for the JVC RX series. if you guys are interested, do a search for the mods for RX900. just over the weekend i applied some markl mods onto it and im liking it, just be careful working with dynamat. the darn thing is so sticky

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are 2 layers of the felt. I would recommend taking off only the top layer (peels right off) because the bottom layer helps keep hair and dirt out of the driver. Taking the felt off is hard to undo, but it shouldn't change the sound signature so much that you will suddenly hate it. Only a slight improvement in mids imo.

I see. Sounds like good news to me.
dt880smile.png

When you say 'improvement' in mids, I assume the mids would be more forward and clearer after having removed the first layer of felt ring?

(Just to be sure before I mod it)

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #15 of 18
The biggest improvement in sound on these comes from a week of burn in. Removing half the felt helps a bit. And EQing does wonders for these as well, as they're a bit weak in the mids, but just a bit of EQ really brings them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back