Ha-Fx33/34 and Ha-Fx35 "Marshmallows"
Mar 7, 2011 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

inarc

100+ Head-Fier
What's the difference between the three? I haven't experienced the 33/34 but so far the 35's sound terrible.
Also is there any possible way to kramer mod the 35's?

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 6
The mod is worth a try. While at it, I'd measure the tube's outer diameter and try couple different types of tips. I use Shure soft flex tips (for E2c) on my Kramer-modded FX33s and they sound OK. I had to cut the plastic sleeve off the FX33's tube to fit them. There's no going back, but if they sound bad, it's not a big deal.

If there's still a paper dam with a single perforation inside, the Karmer mod is easy. If there's something else in there, it might be less obvious what to do. But if they're not really usable in the first place, you can bugger it up and they'll only be extra unusable. I gather that the point of the mod is to let more uncontrolled highs through, then use a better damping material to control them. So if the present damping method looks removable, by all means excise it.

It took a little trying to get the right compression of foam in my FX33's, but now I likee them better than my wife's (un-burned-in) MEE M9s. I've upgrade twice and lost the better ones both times, so there may be some sort of destiny or leprechaun activity involved. May your experience be better!

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 6
The 35 indeed sounds terrible. The kramer "mod" or whatever cheesy name you want to give it will make them sound even worse.

The fx-33 is the best sounding of the three. I listen to them with no cheesy "mod"

Quote:
What's the difference between the three? I haven't experienced the 33/34 but so far the 35's sound terrible.
Also is there any possible way to kramer mod the 35's?

Mar 17, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
The 35 indeed sounds terrible. The kramer "mod" or whatever cheesy name you want to give it will make them sound even worse.

The fx-33 is the best sounding of the three. I listen to them with no cheesy "mod"

Are you speaking from experience when you say that the FX-35 sounds worse with the paper dam replaced by foam?  In what specific way will it make them worse? Harsher highs? Too much bass?

I'm not speaking from direct experience with that mod to the FX-35 in particular, but I understand the principle and I certainly prefer the sound of my FX33s with that change, having listened to them both ways.

There seems to be a consensus that the FX-35 is worse than the FX-33. (If you're considering buying them, I'd suggest against that.)Outside of simply finding some FX-33s (you can't have mine), I'd say doing the mod, even as an intermediate step before throwing them away, is worth the trouble if you're amenable to tinkering. If not, the FX-35s aren't going to spontaneously improve. Maybe burn them in for a couple nights if you have a free audio source for that. Harsh highs tend to subdue a bit with burning in.

In any case, just to clear up an unlikely source of confusion: I am not recommending the use of any dairy product in the process of modifying headphones. Just in case!

Jun 9, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 6
After my beloved HA-FX33B 'phones broke, I picked up a set of the HA-FX35B for what (in Canada) passed for a good price (under $20), since I couldn't seem to find more 33's anywhere... and was disappointed.  First impressions were that the cord was thinner and the plug wasn't as nicely molded onto the cable.  They were harder to grasp and stuff in my ears, and finally, they did not sound as good.

Looking more carefully, I've found HA-FX34's at a couple of stores, mostly in bright colours, but exactly one set in black.  Without opening the package, they closely resemble the 33.  Not attractively priced, so I didn't take a chance on them.  I explored the (low-turnover) electronics section of a department store, and was surprised to find a bunch of HA-FX33W, priced at what presumably passes for "list" in Canada (about the same as the various 34's).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back