H320, iA X5 or Zen Vision M?
Mar 18, 2006 at 1:18 PM Post #16 of 26
The Video Comparision beetween H320 and X5, which is better? Than I think one of them will be kicked out?

What is Rockbox? I dont know sorry...

I dont think that the ZVM wins in all three category´s. He has no features like USB Host, Mp3 Encoding and no good remote control with LCD.

Do you think it will get a LCD Remote Control in soon times?

Thx for the lot of answers, you are great!
icon10.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 1:53 PM Post #17 of 26
The H320 has a better screen resolution so images will look better on it, but the X5 has better a better framerate for video (15fps vs. 10fps) so video will play better, closer to fluid motion. However its still abysmal in comparison to the Vision M and iPod 5G, they play video extremely smooth at up to 30fps, and there 2.5" screens are much easier to view without torturing your eyes. In this regard the Vision M still comes out on top with a better screen (262K colors vs. 65K colors) and longer video play time.

Rockbox is an alternative open-source firmware that in essence offers a couple more features the brand firmware doesn't such as UMS capability, user EQ (important on ipod) and gapless playback as well as more codec support (ogg, flac). it also offers an extremely customizeable UI. For more info http://www.rockbox.org

in terms of sound quality none of them win, and all of them win, because SQ is an extremely subjective thing, and nobody can tell you which one will sound better to you. people will try to make you believe one is better than the other as usual. as many have said elsewhere, all these players are close enough in overall SQ that the minor differences are neglible. these are all top-notch players, you won't be dissapointed with the SQ of any of them.

Features really depends on what you want. if you want UMS then its the X5. if you have Win XP and want to use WMP or a paysite like YahooMusic, Rhapsody, or Napster then the Vision M is the one. If you want iTunes then its the iPod. in terms of raw features, i think the Vision M has the most to offer.

As i said video quality is best on the Vision M.

I don't think there will be a LCD remote for the Vision M because if the iAudio and iRivers are any indication LCD remotes require an additional data port next to the audio output in order to process commands and info on the remote. The Vision M only has a headphone jack at the top. The Zen Micro remote (no screen) has an extra databand on the heaphone plug, and apparently works fine with the Vision M (headphone out), but that was available beforehand so it was not made specifically for the Vision M. They may make a Vision M specific remote somewhere down the line, it might be possible to run it through the propietary port at the bottom like the ipods, then the may be able to put an LCD on it, (since it doesn't need to add an FM radio
tongue.gif
). i got the korean remote for my H320 so i can keep the player in my pocket or bag, but now i'm using it without it, since rockbox is still futzing around with the remotes functionality, and i like to see the wps screen. The Vision M doesnt bother me w/o a remote since the interface is so interesting, though i may spring the $20 bucks for the ZM remote sometime in the future, thats hardly more than a CD.

hope this helps

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #18 of 26
nice writeup with good points kam3...

just to add in: viewing video on X5 with 15fps is not really nice if ur watching some action packed clip...ever played ever played FPS(first person shooter) games at 15 FPS(frames per second)?
confused.gif

the thing I have against myself getting a creative is that even it being a local brand for me(Singapore), the support is kinda disappointing given its aggressive stance on the mp3 market...in fact for those of you who dont know, they have recently changed their company focus from DAPs(which led to huge quarterly loses for them) to concentrate on the soundcard market...

also a ZVM at 30gb is currently only a bit less that a 60g 5g ipod(at least for around here its abt USD$360) and theres probably not gona ever be rockbox port for it...

the 262k colour screen and multi video support is probably worth a try but im currently holding out for a while more to see if iRiver/iAudio/iPod have any product competitors to this range...

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrying
I've been trying to decide between the X5L and the ZVM, and I was really wondering. Is it that the ZVM's video playback is jut that good, or is it that the X5L's it that bad?

If the X5L's video playback is at least at acceptable levels then I'll be going with it, but if its simply bad then I might go with the ZVM.

X5's video is gimmick, yeah it can do it at best...15fps, much smaller, lower quality screen, less colors...it is not good at all for video.

On the other hand. I was comfortable watching all of Jackie Brown on my ZVM yesterday when I was stuck somewhere. My friend has the X5L, and while I love the player for the battery life and scratch resistant case. I don't like file tree only or the screen, or the controls.

The ZVM sounds great, and the video is very worthwhile to me, I use it far more than I ever expected to.

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #20 of 26
Nice Posts.
etysmile.gif

I am german and i dont understand all the things, but the impotant things i understood.
tongue.gif
What means that: f you want UMS then its the X5. UMS? I dont know sorry.

I dont think there is a Support problem here in Germany with Ceative.

15 Fps, on this little display i think it isnt as hard as on a 17" display, right?
confused.gif

No Lcd remote is a big contra against the ZVM.

For which Players is the Rockbox availiable? ANd for which it will be in soon times?

Nice
eggosmile.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pearl
Nice Posts.
etysmile.gif

I am german and i dont understand all the things, but the impotant things i understood.
tongue.gif
What means that: f you want UMS then its the X5. UMS? I dont know sorry.

I dont think there is a Support problem here in Germany with Ceative.

15 Fps, on this little display i think it isnt as hard as on a 17" display, right?
confused.gif

No Lcd remote is a big contra against the ZVM.

For which Players is the Rockbox availiable? ANd for which it will be in soon times?

Nice
eggosmile.gif

UMS=Universal Mass Storag means you do not need any additional installation of drivers, just plug it into usb port and its recognised as a USB mass storage drive...

off my head rockbox is for ipods, iriver hXX, archos and maybe a few others...

the port to X5 is still currently worked on but not even a single beta is out yet thus I believe it will still be a rather long? wait...

Mar 19, 2006 at 9:53 AM Post #22 of 26
Is it easy to convert films in the right format? With which programm i get the best results? And whixh config is the best one for video formats?
redface.gif

Which headphones are good?? I think the Creeative Ep-600 has a good price and a good sound, or

Edit: Does Creative give a No Lcd remote control in the aqquierment (?) or equipment (?) to the player? In the standart shipment?

Mar 20, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #24 of 26
yes the H3xx is probably the most versatile of the list, but it is fairly hard to find a new one anymore, at a decent price (although i do know a site that still sells them). Also the support from iriver is dodgy at best, you would get more help from the good ppl at misticriver, and the various rockbox sites.

converting videos isn't a that much of a hassle if you have rudimentary knowledge of video properties and a good computer. iriverter was made for the iriver video players particularily the H300, and making compatible videos is just a couple mouseclicks and a 10-70 minutes depending on the filesize and processor speed. evidently the latest iriverter also makes X5 compatible videos, and the PMP profile works perfectly for the Vision M. You don't really have to convert for the Vision M though most average divx, xvids will work without conversion. The ipod needs a very specific file to work though (H.264) and i think legally nothing other than itunes videos should work. i know for sure that there are conversion programs that will make ipod compatible videofiles though.

Earphones is a wide subject, there are several affordable and quality headphones out there, but it all depends on what type you are looking for. for in ear buds, you can check out the Creative EP-630. for portable open headphones it doesn't get any better than Koss KSC 75. I really like my Senn PX-100, though i'm looking to get the behind the head PMX-100 version. Cheack out the headphone forum here for much more info.

No, the Vision M does not come with the No-LCD remote, you have to buy it seperately.

Mar 20, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #25 of 26
iRiverter supports the 5g iPod on their new beta but I don't know how well (if at all) works because I haven't used it.

Mar 20, 2006 at 1:14 PM Post #26 of 26
Hi,

Where to buy a Remote COntrol, i dont see any...

But here in Germany you can buy a H320 for 260 € exklusive shipment. Like in Shops here!

I think i will me decide for the ZVM, because of the viedeo quali and the searching function for songs if my money will be enough.

If not i will choose the X5,or? Or should I buy the H320, because of the Rocbox? I dont know...
confused.gif

What do Rockbox exactly do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back