Gym phones
Apr 14, 2004 at 3:29 AM Post #2 of 10
I would look into the shure e2c (~$80) or the ety er6 (~$130 at idealsound). Both have excellent isolation and sound and are ideal for listening to tunes during a workout. However, this may cause a saftey hazard if you are unable to hear...for example, a truck zooming towards you while you are running.
very_evil_smiley.gif

But these are ideal for the gym.

Do a search on this topic. It has been discussed countless times.

Best Regards,
Dan

Apr 14, 2004 at 5:31 AM Post #3 of 10
I've used the ER-6 primarily when working out but one channel just died. They were great for tuning out the stray tv sounds in the gym, which I don't understand as they now have the headphone plugs on almost all of the exercise units for a number of monitors. They worked great and I recommend them. So as not to put sound quality before health, it's ear buds + iFP-190TC atm.

IMO, my ER-4S is just too expensive to be used in a gym rig. Then again, I've changed my mind before.

Apr 14, 2004 at 8:17 AM Post #5 of 10
if you're serious about working out, get the E2. You can ignore everything and just concentrate on the mental part of lifting, which makes things easier and faster. plus you can grunt pretty loud and not hear yourself :-x

Apr 14, 2004 at 10:34 AM Post #6 of 10
My wife uses Sony EX71's for the gym and loves them, maybe not the best sounding, but you also won't cry too much if they get broken or lost.

PS - Put a Rat Shack inline attenuator between the source and 71's and it tames the bass a bit too.

Apr 14, 2004 at 1:03 PM Post #7 of 10
I use the E2 paired with an mp3 player in the gym. The E2's work well and are fairly well sealed so I'm not fussy about having them soaked in sweat. The over the ear cable keeps it in place. There's more information under "search."

Apr 16, 2004 at 5:34 PM Post #8 of 10
I went for the Etymotic ER-4P's, and a Creative NOMAD MuVo TX.
A little over budget, after a few reviews seemed like a good choice, nice bass without an amp. Headroom ship amazingly fast to the UK.

i keep thinking ill lose the etys inside my ear canal hehe.

Apr 16, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #10 of 10
i second the ex71 suggestion.

At home: muddy, muddy, muddy

At the gym: "Hey I can actually here the mids and lows over the drone of machines, grunting, tv, and intercom music without blasting my eardrums."

plus there is one for sell at $28 bucks in the for sale forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back