GYBE!....? and similar artists?
Nov 17, 2002 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Braver

Will upgrade headphoneswhen there's a MX600.
I dunno what to make of them. the music is good, slow rock-infused soundtrack like music that builds to a climax every 5 minutes. it's pretty cool in a way.

but my main problem is that disturbed Radiohead-ish mood, those awkward drawings I can't make sense of and the odd sense of humor that does not really connect with me...

I'll see if I can adjust to that, but in the mean while, what are similar artists like? heard about Sigur Ros and Mogwai?

Nov 17, 2002 at 11:39 PM Post #2 of 10
At first I was compelled to compare them to, SIANsheric, Slowdive, Dif Juz, but those bands have only mild similarities. Nothing really compares to godspeed.

Ok, I guess the most similar thing to them that I've heard is: A Silver Mt. Zion - and surprise it's one of their side-projects. Oh wait, actually, Glen Branca's Symphony No.1 reminds me a lot of gybe!

But in contrast to their drummer's side-project, 1-speed-bike, its NOTHING like godspeed.

I like the fact that they're a terribly political band without spelling it out in your face or screaming it in your ear like RATM, or Consolidated. Have you heard the controversy over their latest album cover? The diagram tracing money from bombs to the major record labels?

Have fun exploring...

Nov 18, 2002 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 10
I have no idea what people are smoking... Mogwai is nothing like GY!BE. GY!BE is talented, unlike the aimless noodling that is Mogwai*. Sigur Ros is a prog-rock band that plays the guitar with a bow. Not bad, but not even the same genre as GY!BE

Similar bands? Try the Shalabi Effect, which is another GY!BE side project. I'll second ASMZ. .. Try some other side projects like set fire to flames and perhaps hrsta, maybe molasses.

For bands that appeal in a similar sense, try Labradford, Do Make Say Think, Low, and, of course, Slint.

If you want to venture into classical (the most worthwhile musical venture, IMO, due to the quantity and quality of the library), try some Brahms symphonies, Mozart, and Rachmaninof. They have the appropriate grandeur that you're looking for but not always the nihilism. If you're looking for some depressing and occasionally dissonant classical (closer to ASMZ than GY!BE), then try some Mahler.

* I have to admit that Mogwai's Rock Action CD is pretty close to listenable, and I'd consider their track 2 Rights = 1 Wrong to be high qualitity.

BTW, the difference between the political edge of GY!BE and RATM, SoaD, and similar bands is that Godspeed a) detaches it from the music and b) keeps it realistic. It would be "fun" in a victorian sense if we all destroyed the government, but that's not a pragmatic solution, is it de la Rocha? Check GY!BE's site for a fully footnoted diagram as proof that they are not just blowing smoke.

Erm, I'm in a pretty bad mood so I apologize if I sound like an arse.

Nov 18, 2002 at 3:26 AM Post #4 of 10
I'm pretty new to GYBE, my friend just sent me two tracks before I accidentally cut him off (storm and static). Which albums would you consider their best?

Also new to Sigur Ros, but loved the mp3s I downloaded so I ordered Agaetis Byrjun and ().

Nov 20, 2002 at 8:36 PM Post #7 of 10
labradford is a really good band if you like godspeed, try their newer stuff, they're more layered guitar and synth/samples with whispered vocals occasionally. theyre also on kranky in the us. as has been mentioned, a silver mt. zion are cool, they remind me of eno's music for airports sometimes. i went and saw sigur ros last week, the guy has an INCREDIBLE voice, but i found myself not being completely "there" all the time, godspeed were way better live

Nov 26, 2002 at 10:42 PM Post #8 of 10
I agree with everything Jon said, he named a lot of good Montreal bands, which are all in the same spirit as GY!BE and sonically pretty similar too... as some said, nothing is like GY!BE, but if you enjoy it, you'll probably enjoy other "similar" bands too. The only error he had was when he said the Shalabi Effect was a GY!BE side-project... in fact, it's a separate band. They are both from Montreal, however. To find some great stuff, lots of which has already been mentioned, get it straight from Alien8, a sweet record label, at alien8recordings.com. No, I don't work for them, but I recently purchased from them, and the prices are awesome, on stuff which you'd otherwise pay ridiculous import prices for if you bought from CDNow.

The Bottom Line: Psychadelic/Orchestral/Slow-Building rock kicks ass, and when you're making music purchases, cut out the middle man and buy directly from the record label!

Ryan

Nov 27, 2002 at 12:42 AM Post #10 of 10
Shalabi has Sophie from GY!BE on violin so I counted it as a side project, though it is a separate band.

Either way, every artist on Kranky and Constellation is worth purchasing, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back