Guys Please Help me out....Bose OE2
Dec 27, 2012 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

LobsterClaws

New Head-Fier
I'm finally looking at my first pair of serious headphones. Been all over the map AT's MT50's, Panasonics, Klipsch, etc....etc.... My problem is that I have a big head. I really want to hate them, I really do, But the Bose OE2's are the most comfortable I've tried on, even though their sound is lacking. The AT's were tight and sweaty, as were the Klipsch's, etc.....Is their a set of headphones out there as comfortable as the Bose but with much better sound. Comfort takes precedence since my dome is huge. Please help......

Dec 27, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 13
The beyerdynamic headphones are VERY comfortable. Unless your head is stupidly big, they should fit just fine. The sound is also way better

Dec 27, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #5 of 13
Thanks Viralcow for the help. Budget is not that important. I'd say sub $300 to start out and get to learn the headphone ropes, but could go up to $1k for mind altering sound. I just moved into a condo and sold my Thiel 3.7's. Believe it or not, I've been into audio for 30 years, but for the first time ever, now getting into headphones. My current set-up is a Logitech Transporter SE, Naim CD5i, Bryston BP-26MC pre-amp and a McCormack DNA-250 amp. No speakers as of now. Genre is all over the place. I listen to everything. Sigur Ros, Florence and the machine, Little Wayne,  Jay-Z, Van Morrison, Brahms, Bach, John Coltrane, Muddy Waters, Rolling Stones, Zac Brown Band you name it. Like I said, my noggin is so large that most traditional headphones hurt. Trying to get some direction here. 

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 13
Nice. Like davidsh suggested Beyerdynamics are probably the best when it comes to comfort. The DT880/DT990 both have the softest velour pads that never get warm. The Sennheiser HD558/HD598 are also very good in comfort.

The AKG K/Q701 were also very comfy to me, although some people find the "bumps" too painful to use. I didn't really mind them since all I had to do is shift the headband ever so slightly up or down to a new spot whenever they got uncomfortable. You could try to snag the "Limited Edition" version that has a bumpless headband and memory foam earpads, but they cost another $200 or so.

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #9 of 13
I have never got any problems with the bumps what so ever

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #10 of 13
Thanks again guys for the help and replies. After a couple of hours of surfing around and talking to friends, the Beyerdynamics DT 990's seem
to be a good jumping off point to get into it. I'll be in Raleigh, NC next week and try to hunt down an audition. Does anyone know if they take
well to a traditional pre-amp set-up, or do they require a more specialized headphone amp rig? Surfing around trying to find some info. 

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #11 of 13
The Beyers are going to feel like they weigh a considerable amount more than the AE2s, as long as you are cool with that. IMO there is absolutely nothing out there that can touch the comfort of the AE2s. I can wear those for hours and not feel them, BUT there are headphones that sound better. Guys don't flame me... But Bose gets a bad rap on here for no reason other than the fact that it is a mass marketed consumer headphone. The sound isn't THAT bad, and their comfort certainly makes up for it.

Yes, you are paying for a name, but I am totally fine with that when I can wear the headphones for hours and not notice. I love my Sony MDR 7506s, but I can't wear those for more than an hour without getting a wicked ear sweat and pain. There are always trade offs. If comfort is a priority, keep the AE2s, they are a great headphone!

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #12 of 13
The Beyers are going to feel like they weigh a considerable amount more than the AE2s, as long as you are cool with that. IMO there is absolutely nothing out there that can touch the comfort of the AE2s. I can wear those for hours and not feel them, BUT there are headphones that sound better. Guys don't flame me... But Bose gets a bad rap on here for no reason other than the fact that it is a mass marketed consumer headphone. The sound isn't THAT bad, and their comfort certainly makes up for it.
Yes, you are paying for a name, but I am totally fine with that when I can wear the headphones for hours and not notice. I love my Sony MDR 7506s, but I can't wear those for more than an hour without getting a wicked ear sweat and pain. There are always trade offs. If comfort is a priority, keep the AE2s, they are a great headphone!

+1. The AE2 are the most comfortable headphone in my setup (and that I've ever tried); the next closest (that isn't made by Bose (e.g. the original TriPort are also comfortable) would be the Sony MDR-F1 (which aren't made anymore). The F1 are somewhat better sounding overall, and originally cost about twice what the AE2 do. They're both very light and comfortable headphones with smooth and non-fatiguing presentations - something you can sit and listen to all day with no problem. The Beyers are not in the same league imho - they feel a bit claustrophobic by comparison, but they're still relatively comfortable headphones.

Other models I'd suggest:

- Bose QC15 (they do sound better, but like the AE2, they're fairly laidback and smooth - no sibilance or harshness, but they might be too mellow for those expecting a modern "audiophile" presentation (e.g. MEGA-TREBLE!), remember that they also use batteries)
- Kenwood KH-K1000 (very comfortable, but they weigh a lot, and after a few hours you will start to feel that (say, maybe more than three-four hours you'll start to notice it on your neck))
- Koss ESP/950 (they sound heavenly (but if you're expecting a lot of "wow" they won't do that), and feel nearly weightless (they're *huge*) - they fit very loosely (they will slide around on your head), and the original pads on mine would very lightly stick to my head (nothing like the M50, and the second pair of pads (they cost $5/pr to replace btw) seems a little better in this regard; I don't know if it's just an inconsistency in the pads, if I'm imagining the difference, or what - I know my original pair of pads had some knicks in them (I forget what I did, but it was why I replaced them)).

And the previously mentioned MDR-F1 (if you can find one), and the later MDR-SA5000 (not quite as comfortable, and different sounding (more aggressive, less spacious and airy, tighter and dryer) - also discontinued). Supposedly the new-ish MDR-MA900 continues that line of comfort fairly well, but I have not personally tried them so I can't speak to their sound or actual comfort.

Also realize that the Bose headphones do have something of a house sound, and you won't get that same presentation from other manufacturers.

May 23, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #13 of 13
Yea...The bose ae2 are the most comfortable but has less bass quantity/better bass quality. But in terms of comfort and sound quality, they are much better. Have you tried the klipsch image one's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back