1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Guy at guitar center...

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by spacemanps, Feb 22, 2011.
  1. spacemanps
    So i went in there today to test out the dt 770 pros 80 ohms.. and i was asking about headphone amps, when i asked him about the fiio e9 he looked at me like i had 9872498723 heads..

he suggested i get one of the following if i wanted a headphone amp:

Apogee ONE USB Interface- $250

Pro Tools Recording Studio- $100

any one know about these..?

2. Yoga Flame
    Heard of them. They're nice if you also need to do recording now and then. The Apogee One is for Mac only. Both are primarily ADC/DAC units with an amp added on.

The E9 is purely an amp, and a relatively powerful one too. It's got no DAC built in by itself, so it's quite a different thing from those two that the guitar center guy suggested. The E7 is the companion DAC for the E9, but you could use any DAC you want with it really.

My one experience with musician/pro-audio shops leads me to think they know a lot about making music, but not as much about listening to it. This was before I discovered Head-Fi. I went in looking to buy the DT990 Pro for $180. The guy there told me open headphones were a terrible idea as they leaked sound while you're recording. He talked me into buying the M50s instead. But for $199. Like I said, this was before I found Head-Fi. Anyway, it's just my own anecdotal experience. Don't conclude too much from it.

3. RexAeterna
    he is right if you are a vocalist. mics are very very sensitive and can pick up about any sound within the studio. even a pin dropping. that's why closed headphones are much more preferred to open or even semi-open design.

as for the op. i personally never used those  before but he was probably clueless when you mentioned headphone amp cause most producers/dj's use their mixers or audio interfaces to drive their headphones and lot mixers are capable of driving up to 600ohms fine but i'll admit they do lot of times hire idiots. out your options tho. the fio you were planning on buying would be a great idea and fine for what your gonna use them for.

Quote:

Eric_C likes this.
  4. alakalaka99
    Pro Tools is mainly software for recording music, but is usually bundled in with an audio interface that can act as a DAC/Amp, but don't bother even considering buying anything labeled "Pro Tools" for music listening. It's just not what the company makes.

5. ProtegeManiac Contributor
    You can't find Hi-Fi amps at pro shops. I've gone to a local pro-audio distributor for AKG a couple of years ago and they were stunned there were such things as tube amps for headphones (they at least knew there were some for speakers), despite the fact that guitar amps use tubes. Although I think Harman is consolidating the distributorship and dealer networks, and putting AKG in the same showroom and stores that retail JBL, Infinity and Harman Kardon. Apparently studios here aren't into AKGs anymore.

6. Eric_C

Quote:

This here's an important reality check, folks. No matter what we say, hear or measure about our listening gear, people in the industry produce all that wonderful music we so dearly love without being half as caught up with that part of the chain as most of us are.

7. buffalowings

Quote:
    well said, it's not like they're producing the music for their own enjoyment while most of us want the best the gear possible so we can enjoy the music even more. (though some may argue good music doesn't need expensive equipment to enjoy)

8. c540
    I haven't heard the Apogee One, but I use the Apogee Duet (which I actually bought at the local Guitar Center)  

I think it sounds great with all my headphones: Grado RS1, 325i, DT770 Pro80, and it even does well with the HD800's.

9. Graphicism Contributor
    Quote:

...Is this why almost all modern music sucks in terms of recording quality? Such as the loudness wars and record producers using gimmicky headphones.

10. Eric_C
    graphicism: Uh, no I don't think so. I think barriers to entry for producing music have lowered, so you get more people in the business with less of the skills. Kind of like DSLRs and PhotoShop, and photography; a lot of mediocre snaps floating around now.

As proof that the listening end of the production chain doesn't need to be superb to record great music, what about Pomplamoose?

11. Graphicism Contributor
    Quote:

Funny you bring up photography because I was having this discussion last week; there are a lot of 'snaps' floating around because cameras are cheaper and found on more devices.. I'm not quite sure how you tie this into the music industry but the way I see it is music producers buy cheaper gear because theres more of it and don't/can't analyze their finished work. I've used a lot of modern mixers and receivers and they are not capable of running 600 ohm headphones properly, gear from the 70s and 80s is however. It's even seen here on head-fi... kids buy fiio products (and the likes) and think that's the end of the line, everything else is just showing off and sadly that just isn't the case.

I've never heard of Pomplamoose.

12. Eric_C
  13. ProtegeManiac Contributor
    The mob-ism of music goes both ways. Lots of good music now that you probably would never have heard of because Tony Mottola won't sign them, much less print their CDs. Or distribute them everywhere: I've purchased more CDs off Amazon than I have from brick n' mortar stores out of sheer frustration. And our stores are simply blaming iTunes and Torrentz for their dismal sales.

As for photography, well, it's a different story. I see a lot of college kids walking around with an entry-level SLR hanging off their neck like a gold $ chain, with no lens filter or lens cap. What the heck, they just turned a commercially revolutionary piece of engineering into a freakin' fashion accessory. And just as heavy as those $ chains too.But I have to admit, without digital cams and the net, I wouldn't have seen a lot of amazing shots. Imagine paying for a photog magazine every month.