Gustard X22 DAC
Dec 29, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #166 of 188
Not really sure what that means. I'm pretty much a novice at this so I'm asking for legitimate help with this. I've read that digital volume controls can degrade the sound and I'm assuming this DAC has digital volume and I didn't want to have to be turing the volume down 50% to listen at a comfortable level. Right now, I have the DAC turned all the way up and connected to a Parasound P5 preamp, which is where I currently control the volume.
Can anyone offer some helpful advice? I'm trying to see if I will get better sound quality by running my DAC straight to my amp.
Thanks,
Drew
Hi there. As you have the Dac you could try it. Turn Dac volume right down. Connect to power and adjust volume to see if it a sound you prefer. I had wondered the same as I thought why else would they put a volume on. Esp as digital volume is only going to reduce volume.
I looked for a passive preamp but ended up with the Schiit Freya and find this a wonderful partner for the X22

Dec 29, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #168 of 188
I've used a X22 as a pre with good result but that being said you have to be very careful with the Gustard's digital volume or any dig vol, you can damage your gear if you output a signal at 100%. I used the X22 remote for vol and it worked great just a little more bass than I like, but some systems would like it.

Jan 8, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #169 of 188
Not really sure what that means. I'm pretty much a novice at this so I'm asking for legitimate help with this. I've read that digital volume controls can degrade the sound and I'm assuming this DAC has digital volume and I didn't want to have to be turing the volume down 50% to listen at a comfortable level. Right now, I have the DAC turned all the way up and connected to a Parasound P5 preamp, which is where I currently control the volume.
Can anyone offer some helpful advice? I'm trying to see if I will get better sound quality by running my DAC straight to my amp.
Thanks,
Drew
Thanks,
Drew

Hey Drew: You'll get different interpretations/answers to your question here. To my mind, I'd use the Preamps (P5's) Volume Attenuator/Control than Gustard's (X20-PRO's) digital implementation.

I'm very confident that I hear considerable 'loss or resolution' when I engage the X20's "Volume" setting -at ANY level, even ( - 1) !

Ideally, a precision resister/relay volume attenuation circuit (or comparable) should be used (preamplifier in particular, but also DAC/line-level source's that offer volume attenuation).
With that said, if one doesn't recognize any performance/sound limitations, they should feel free to use Pre/DAC 'Volume setting' combinations required/desired.
(NOTE: Best bet is to use 'digital volume' settings sparingly/as little (attenuation) as possible)

pj

Jan 8, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #170 of 188
Hi there. As you have the Dac you could try it. Turn Dac volume right down. Connect to power and adjust volume to see if it a sound you prefer. I had wondered the same as I thought why else would they put a volume on. Esp as digital volume is only going to reduce volume.
I looked for a passive preamp but ended up with the Schiit Freya and find this a wonderful partner for the X22

I think that's the Schiit model ('Freya') that uses the excellent resister/relay volume attenuation circuit -wonderful indeed ! (Much better than X20/X22? digital volume. MUCH.)

pj

Jan 23, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #171 of 188
Oh and try a USB bridge like Singxer SU-1 I2s on HDMI (no need to move the Singxer's switch for PCM). You might surprised at the SQ difference in favour of the I2s input from Singxer, at least I was.

Jan 23, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #172 of 188
Hi Lucian: Good to know the i2S (HDMi) form Singxer SU-1 as is impressive as Gustard's U-12's; I was very impressed with the i2s connection (with AQ 'Carbon' USB cable 'feed'), particularly when I purchased a Audioquest 'Chocolate' HDMi cable -OMG.

The SQ change was considerably superior to AQ 'Cinnamon' HDMi -or the far more expensive 'Vodka' HDMi ! (All 1.0m length)

Good to know about the Singxer SU-1. I'm more interested in what appears to be an even superior implementation as seen in the U-16, Gustard.

pj

Feb 25, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #175 of 188
Hi there,

Quick question to the experts here. Have a parasound p5 preamp and its input impedence reads “100k omhs per leg”.

Input sensitivity info is as follows:
300 mv: 1 Volt Out
Total Gain: 10 dB
Maximum Output: 7 Volts

Am using the xlr output to the p5 pre - and I understand that ouput from x22 is very high. Based on the above info - how much volume must I tune down in x22 to match the preamp. Am not technically inclined and hoping that experts here will help me out here. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #177 of 188
That will be too loud. Currently normal listening volume for me at 8 oclock positon. Think the xlr output is high. I remember reading from forumers here to match the impedence level of the preamp - but I am too technically dumb to do that

Feb 28, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #179 of 188
peteg: Its been awhile; how are you enjoying the Gustard X-22 ?

And, compared to X20pro ?

Are you considering, or has anybody here on HF forum purchased the X-26 DAC (Gustard) -assuming it's available to purchase ?

peter
Hi allhifi,

Did the u16 improved your x20pro? Any drastic difference? Your x20pro still holding up strong? Upgrading to x26?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back