Gustard X20 DAC
Dec 19, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #1,278 of 1,320
Yesterday I saw my message published in the community section on their facebook page, but now it's not there anymore. They deleted it...

Well, due that kind of interest in helping their customers, I will never buy one of their products anymore, no matter how good they are. A similar experience happened with Xindak, too.

Their machines may be good, but if the assistence is so bad, let's stay away.

Dec 24, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #1,280 of 1,320
... They sent me two entire PC boards from the unit, free of cost, from China to troubleshoot.
Please, if you want, send them an email mentioning the DSD 512 issue we are talking about here. I’m pretty sure they will never answer; but who knows: if they were so kind with you like you said...

Mar 21, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #1,281 of 1,320
Hi ! is there any thread discussing the differences between the X20U and the late PRO version ?
i have the former one but still i have not unboxed it. If the differences are remarkable i could try to find a buyer for it (not easy i know).
Thanks a lot indeed.

Mar 22, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #1,283 of 1,320
Hi ! is there any thread discussing the differences between the X20U and the late PRO version ?
i have the former one but still i have not unboxed it. If the differences are remarkable i could try to find a buyer for it (not easy i know).
Thanks a lot indeed.

I'm using the original X20U which really sounds amazing to me. It uses 2 pcs of the ESS9018. The U-suffix designates the USB interface option.
The X20 Pro version is similar to the X20/X20U, but it has 2 pcs of ESS9028 instead. It replaces the X20 non-pro version.
The latest one is actually X22 which has the ESS9038.
I have not have a chance to listen to the latter two yet.

Mar 22, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #1,284 of 1,320
I'm using the original X20U which really sounds amazing to me. It uses 2 pcs of the ESS9018. The U-suffix designates the USB interface option. The X20 Pro version is similar to the X20/X20U, but it has 2 pcs of ESS9028 instead. It replaces the X20 non-pro version.
The latest one is actually X22 which has the ESS9038. I have not have a chance to listen to the latter two yet.

Thanks a lot indeed for the helpful explanation. Did you mod your X20U ?
So the family is growing. Great units all and they look very well built. I will wait to test my X20U and then read some review about the X22.
It looks like a different design at least in the power supply ?
Do Gustard have a web site in english maybe ?

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #1,285 of 1,320
X20 & X20 Pro sounds similar. High frequencies are a bit more subtle and mids more smooth. But it is not big difference as the whole project is in 99% the same.

Mar 22, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #1,286 of 1,320
X20 & X20 Pro sounds similar. High frequencies are a bit more subtle and mids more smooth.
But it is not big difference as the whole project is in 99% the same.

Hi ! thanks a lot for the very interesting information. Then the X22 could be a step up.
Maybe a possible way for smoothing out the sound a bit could be using a particular power cable instead of the stock one ?

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #1,287 of 1,320
Hi ! thanks a lot for the very interesting information. Then the X22 could be a step up.
Maybe a possible way for smoothing out the sound a bit could be using a particular power cable instead of the stock one ?
Definitely, I never use stock cables. And the X20 is quite sensitive for them.

Mar 22, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #1,288 of 1,320
Definitely, I never use stock cables. And the X20 is quite sensitive for them.
Thanks again. This is not a good thing imho. It means that noise filtering is not that good in the power supply.
I would prefer to see R-core transformers instead of toroids for instance to achieve better suppression of noise on the power lines.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #1,289 of 1,320
It is not that simple. Many very expensive DAC/CD players is sensitive for cables. And I mean really top ones like Accuphase, Esoteric, DCS...

Mar 22, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #1,290 of 1,320
It is not that simple. Many very expensive DAC/CD players is sensitive for cables. And I mean really top ones like Accuphase, Esoteric, DCS...
I tend to think that two cables with same L, R and C will sound the same. I think i have seen once the circuit equivalent of a cable. But again if the dac is well designed and built it should not happen.
I can understand it is not an easy task. Maybe this would imply even pure AC regeneration.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back