Gustard X20 DAC
Dec 1, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #1,247 of 1,320
Can someone please confirm that a gustard x20u with only a mod1 (ie no replacement of any electrical components) and unmodded singxter su-1 (other than loading of the latest firmware and appropriate i2s HDMI dip switch settings) supports dsd512 over i2s.
512DSD support is only dependant on software rather than hardware.

Dec 1, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #1,249 of 1,320
After 20-30 seconds the noise dissapears and dsd 512 sounds great
This is similar to what I experienced with SU-1 and halo driver. I use HQP and Roon but gustard played white noise for about 15-20 seconds and then played music for remainder of session at DSD512. I'd follow what Rafabro said.

and appropriate i2s HDMI dip switch settings) supports dsd512 over i2s.
By latest firmware do you mean the new Singer SU-1 Driver 4.36.0 which you can down load from the Shenzhen website. Yes the non- pro will play DSD512 via the IIS input from the singxer SU-1 modded as you indicate and the display will read DSD512.

Dec 1, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #1,251 of 1,320
and then look at a CPU upgrade

What CPU do you run? I am not a Jriver person but for HQP a new 6th gen or newer i5 or Ryzen 5 will handle DSD512 with the 2s filter family. I run a 6700K CPU and Z170x motherboard which I will be selling soon, I am upgrading to AMD Ryzen 1800X and a x379 AM4 motherboard, just waiting for a AM4 cooling mounting bracket to come. Those CPU's above can handle most of HQP 512 filters.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #1,252 of 1,320
...In the pursuit of excellence I think l'll get the singxter and then look at a CPU upgrade.
Hello, yes the i7-7700K speed, up to 4,50 Ghz, solved the issue regarding the intermittent sound while playing DSD 512.

However, I'm experimenting almost the same issue mentioned by some of you guys: my Singxer SU-1 (firmware v2.22 & Holo driver v3.40.0) is connected to Gustard X20U via i2s cable. Almost every time that I start the first track, I hear a terrible hiss that dissapperas in a few seconds. It's really ugly.
I also noticed something of strange: in the same moment I'm hearing that noise, the indication "DSD 512" on the display becomes unstable, it doesn't seem to want to stay there for a second or so. Once it is stabilized, the music goes on with no more noise. But it's recommended not to clic on the stop button in JRiver, and really not to clic play again...

...By latest firmware do you mean the new Singer SU-1 Driver 4.36.0 which you can down load from the Shenzhen website...

Thanks for the update. I downloded it, and I will try it. How about the Singxer SU-1 firmware? Is the latest one always v2.22? By the way, does an official website exist?

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #1,253 of 1,320
Thanks for the update. I downloded it, and I will try it. How about the Singxer SU-1 firmware
Yes most current firmware for singxer SU-1 for Gustard is 2.22 and dip switches 3 and 6 need to be on on the bottom of the SU-1. They (Singxer) have a web site but it is mostly chinese. BTW That singxer driver as is the Halo are both signed drivers so no turning off windows driver signature is needed.

I only tried the Gustard, non-pro with a modded SU-1 that I did for someone with the Halo driver and it had the initial white noise, but even when I ran my Gustard non-pro with the third party DIY USB /I2S card with their signed driver (at DSD512) I got occasional bursts of white noise, not often but it could happen. The better I isolated the dac from RFI the quieter it became tho I never 100% eliminated the brief occasional white noise. Not sure if the new singxer 4.36 driver solves this, you can adjust latency in it so maybe. I sent the modded unit back to owner so I can't experiment with it.

The SU-1 takes very nicely to some simple mods if you have soldering skills.

Dec 2, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #1,254 of 1,320
Not sure if the new singxer 4.36 driver solves this...
No, it doesn't.

I wouldn't call this crap white noise, it is more like an hiss. I uploaded a brief home made video of the thing on Youtube. Please, listen to the thing and look at the display:

I don't know what the cause may be, but I would not waste my money again for a crappy interface like the SU-1 seems to be.

Dec 2, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #1,255 of 1,320
I would not waste my money again for a crappy interface like the SU-1 seems to be.
I don't think it is the SU-1 fault, my X20 with DIYinHk USB/I2S card also had white noise sound occasionally, and it was powered by separate linear power supply, I suspect it is more with 9018 chips being pushed to the limit and take a few seconds to settle with such high frequency input.

Have you modded the SU-1 or is it stock, it's SQ can greatly be improved by modding the internal PSU or using another external linear 5V PSU and also change some caps on the digital board and one big regulator to a much better regulator like a sparkos, belleson or a eBay LT3045.

Dec 2, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #1,256 of 1,320
My impression is that those companies, like Gustard and Singxer, do not want spend money to license the most updated driver software so that their products just produce good sound, but not the best way those products can. In other words, those products are somewhat crippled ones.

Dec 3, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #1,257 of 1,320
Have you modded the SU-1 or ...
No, I never modified anything on my machines: aside the fact that I'm not able to solder, it wouldn't really make any sense due the fact that the system is affected by this unbelievable noise.

Both Gustard and Singxer are tested by their companies to reproduce DSD 512, aren't them? So I think that *they* should address the issue.

I tried to contact Gustard time ago, but they never answered to my emails -very disappointing!
@Quadman, please, what is the official website by SU-1? Is there an email address available?

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #1,258 of 1,320
I just changed HoloAudio driver to Singxer 4.36 driver and can confirm, noise is same as on above video at 512DSD. Takes up to few seconds to disappear.
It is present only when you switch between different type of files, eg. from FLAC to DSD. When continue play same types of files noise wont appear.

But with new driver I am able to play DSD512 on my Pentium server which wasn't possible before. Obviously buffer size I mentioned before has to be on maksimum setting - 512.
Also I can now play DSD256 with smaller buffer size then previously so it looks like they did something good performance related as well.
Of course I am talking about upsampling here.

Anyway I am generally happy to play DSD256 so noise at 512 wont batter me so much.
But would be great if they solve the problem...

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #1,259 of 1,320
Also, the driver by Singxer (is it really by Singxer?) v4.36 makes the reproduction unstable in my system (clicks, pops and similar noises) so I went back to Holo driver v3.34.0 which is good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back