Gustard X20 DAC
Sep 28, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #76 of 1,320
  you meant DDC right?  Tanly didn't respond to my last inquiry and now I see that it's on aliexpress for $570.  It used to be priced the same as the German made PUC2, which sounded so good that my stereo has been dark since the day I returned it to it's owner (and I think that uses neither XMOS or Amanerro).  The good news is that I got a text from DHL that my X20U should arrive today, and that gives me the opportunity to get to know the U12's I2S output which I only heard once before.  I'll be moving in a couple weeks so I'd rather reacclimate to what I have under different accoustics so I can best quantify my next DDC upgrade.  The new room might call for a change of speakers!  Hopefully a headfi approved DDC will come to market with the usb port on the back and a sample rate display on the front.  Pumping the brakes!

No, I meant exactly DAC, although I should have said "next DDC for my next DAC"...
As I said the USB interface quality is very relevant to final audio quality so I will probably continue to have a DDC before my current/future best DAC, if not all DACs I use.

I will be waiting for your impressions of the new X20, congratulations for your purchase!

Sep 28, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #78 of 1,320
  Uhm, I don't think that would be better than a dedicated box built for the purpouse.

The reasons are pretty much the same....

the tablet is not meant for this. It runs lots of unnecessary (for audio at least) processes.
Its power supply (even batteries) are not on par with a good linear psu.
software is limited, I don't know if it can support all DAC and, more, high resolution.

My system now uses a windows tablet almost exclusively for my source. The Lenovo tablet I use has Windows 8 pre-installed and it has a full size usb port.  I eliminated the unnecessary processes by running Fedilizer pro software.  Using the "extreme" setting, it will shut almost everything down except wifi streaming for Tidal and the bare essentials for playing music files with JRiver.  I haven't found any real limitations in software since all manufacturers provide appropriate windows drivers.   Bottom line, this Tablet playing through my Tanly USB-DDC sounds so good that I never use my Rega Apollo R anymore.

Sep 28, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #79 of 1,320
  My system now uses a windows tablet almost exclusively for my source. The Lenovo tablet I use has Windows 8 pre-installed and it has a full size usb port.  I eliminated the unnecessary processes by running Fedilizer pro software.  Using the "extreme" setting, it will shut almost everything down except wifi streaming for Tidal and the bare essentials for playing music files with JRiver.  I haven't found any real limitations in software since all manufacturers provide appropriate windows drivers.   Bottom line, this Tablet playing through my Tanly USB-DDC sounds so good that I never use my Rega Apollo R anymore.

Good to know, thanks.
So in facts, you dedicated the tablet to the audio playback function, didn't you? :wink:

Sep 28, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #80 of 1,320
@stuartmc, do you always use the tablet with batteries when playing music?
If this is not the case, did you notice any difference when using the tablet in charging mode?

Thanks

Sep 28, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #83 of 1,320
  @stuartmc, do you always use the tablet with batteries when playing music?
If this is not the case, did you notice any difference when using the tablet in charging mode?

Thanks

I have gone back and forth between battery and charging mode many times and quite frankly, I really don't hear much of a difference. Its very subtle, if any.  I attribute this to how well I have conditioned the power feeding the tablet.

Sep 29, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #85 of 1,320
  I have gone back and forth between battery and charging mode many times and quite frankly, I really don't hear much of a difference. Its very subtle, if any.  I attribute this to how well I have conditioned the power feeding the tablet.

Out of curiosity, is the charger a linear or switching PSU?

Good to know a table can do its job as a digital transport.
It seems that dedicated devices are better, in fact you dedicated your tablet to the task with Fidelizer... it seems not so different in principle from having a dedicated pc. Anyway, I didn't really thought a tablet would be up to the task, will consider it from now on.

Cheers

Sep 29, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #86 of 1,320
Quality aside, there is no getting around the fact that you need a proper hard-wired seated workstation for plundering the internet for free audio, and then the crazy amount of time you'll be spending organizing and tagging that music.  I've already fell behind with 150gb in my download folders and yet to be imported.  Stepping down to a laptop would cut my productivity in half (and invite carpal tunnel).  You don't need serious ergonomics for playback so the 2nd computer can be anything with a reliable network connection and quiet cooling.

If there wasn't this cornacopia of free'ish music and the internet enabled 2nd hand audio market, I would likely be wrapped up in Atmos HTPCs.

Sep 29, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #88 of 1,320
Finally X20 was ordered.
One of the reason for this was the relative High voltage swing on output.
I wish it outperforms Matrix x-sabre, Yulong DA8 mk1/2, or Gungnir Multibit because of Chinese efficiency.:D
I do not agree with R2R Dac as the best dac because Delta Sigma modulator is one of the most elegant Adc/dac implementation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back