Gustard U18
Oct 24, 2022 at 12:15 AM Post #1,006 of 1,972
Has anyone used the U18 via USB to a source (e.g. a Mac) and then via either optical or coax to a DAC? Any sonic improvement?
Also, in such a connection configuration, which clock is it used: the DDC's or the DAC's?

Oct 24, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #1,007 of 1,972
I use Black Ravioli Big Pads under my X26 Pro and Black Ravioli Pads under the U18, with my master clock just to the right of the U18, both on top of the X26 Pro. This keeps the I2S and clock cables ideally short.

Further, I have heavy weights on each item.

Oct 24, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #1,008 of 1,972
Agreed with weights. I use an old power supply transformes in cast iron sheilded cans as weights. One on top of my X26 pro and one on top of my computer. 7 layers of isolation under my computer, 11 under my DAC. I went really nuts on this but I could hear the difference. Put them together over 4 years of playing this game. I even use brass, stainless steel and ceramic shims under my cones. I like a mix of brass and ceramic cones best under my shelves.

Final layer under my DAC is Mad Scientist Black pod nano footers, a trio facing up from my Mapleshade 4 inch thick maple block to a carbon fiber shelf and another trio facing down from the DAC. The block sits on a trio of brass and ceramic cones with shims on my air isolation platform. 4 10" diameter air bladders filled about 1/3, They are sandwiched between 2 ikea lack table shelves.

That sits of a larger trio of brass and ceramic cones with shims on an Ikea birch kitchen table that had casters. Cut it down and installed 2 lb brass spikes I have from an old pair of speakers. I am thinking of using lack table legs I haves spiking them to the lack table air platform and then attaching that to a dual bamboo cutting boards sandwiching zirconia oxide bearing and one tungsten carbide in the juice grooves. Saw that idea on you tube. "Layers donkey layers!"

With all the things using bearings in their footers these days I am very curious. And ironically, but not really those are the bearings my Mad Sci's use. Had more money then sense/cents a few years ago and really went nuts with all the mapleshade stuff. Did all their big heavy brass footers and then found the Mad Sci's which clobber them for about 1/2 to 2/3 the price. But I still love what the Ambrosia maples blocks bring to the tables.(LOL) I also have one of those in a similar set up under my computer without the carbon fiber shelf. Use a single tungsten carbide Mad Sci under each of my solid state drives to the base of the computer braced to allow them to sit on a single point. And even my ssd's are weighted with cooper blocks I had from an old gain clone project. Paul Pang straps his SSD's to aluminum blocks. Yes ssd's vibrate. Put my fingers on them to check after reading some Paul Pang stuff. I had these blocks, from an old gainclone amp project, which are as long as an SSD's and 2/3's as wide. Hot Damn. Can no longer feel any vibration from them.

Have to tread more slowly now due to less income and more medical issues. Don't get old....LOL!

I know pictures. Okay system is a bit in flux right now...but I will show you from a year ago. Basically the same now!

jgwtriode

Attachments

• IMG_20200601_180219.jpg
    IMG_20200601_180219.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200521_202210.jpg
    IMG_20200521_202210.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #1,009 of 1,972
I hear you about isolation and fully agree. Here are my levels:

- Solid Tech Duo system rack, modified to take large RDC Cones onto a tiled/concrete floor
- Black Ravioli Base isolation shelf
- Electric Beach S1NX isolation platform on large RDC Cones into RDC Combi Bases
- X26 Pro on Black Ravioli Big Pads
- U18 on Black Ravioli Pads, AfterDark Emperor Triple Crown on Black Ravioli Pads
- Schramm weights on both
- Two grounding boxes for U18 and X26 Pro on Black Ravioli Pads with Schramm weights

I don't use spikes anywhere in my system, I find they adversely affect sound quality.

52170481968_ee2e4a4648_o.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #1,010 of 1,972
For anyone looking to upgrade their U18, MartinWT posted a site(https://coherent-systems.co.uk/services-upgrades/)in the X26Pro thread that does an upgrade that he spoke highly of. I contacted the technician, Tony, and got some details. He indicated he removes 18 components but somehow also installs 22 which brings a much lower noise floor, tighter bass and improved detail retrieval. His reply included 18 attachments of screenshots showing the lower noise floor for U18's he's already upgraded.
Being in the USA, the cost is currently $451USD (£400) plus shipping to and from England where he is located.

I am debating on this upgrade as with shipping it effectively doubles the cost of the U18. One of the things I like about the U18 is it's cost/performance ratio. I think it's the best bang for the buck DDC on the market. For me, it's a tough call on spending $500 to upgrade a device I spent $500 to purchase.

Oct 24, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #1,011 of 1,972
Tony is the proprietor of Coherent Systems. The work is labour-intensive because of the compact nature of the U18's build. I have seen the measurements of before and after noise levels and can attest to the 2.5X reduction in noise. Far more important, it sounds like an upmarket model now with greatly enhanced soundstaging, detail and dynamics.

Is it worth it? Only you can know. It certainly was for me.

Oct 24, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #1,012 of 1,972
Agreed with weights. I use an old power supply transformes in cast iron sheilded cans as weights. One on top of my X26 pro and one on top of my computer. 7 layers of isolation under my computer, 11 under my DAC. I went really nuts on this but I could hear the difference. Put them together over 4 years of playing this game. I even use brass, stainless steel and ceramic shims under my cones. I like a mix of brass and ceramic cones best under my shelves.

Final layer under my DAC is Mad Scientist Black pod nano footers, a trio facing up from my Mapleshade 4 inch thick maple block to a carbon fiber shelf and another trio facing down from the DAC. The block sits on a trio of brass and ceramic cones with shims on my air isolation platform. 4 10" diameter air bladders filled about 1/3, They are sandwiched between 2 ikea lack table shelves.

That sits of a larger trio of brass and ceramic cones with shims on an Ikea birch kitchen table that had casters. Cut it down and installed 2 lb brass spikes I have from an old pair of speakers. I am thinking of using lack table legs I haves spiking them to the lack table air platform and then attaching that to a dual bamboo cutting boards sandwiching zirconia oxide bearing and one tungsten carbide in the juice grooves. Saw that idea on you tube. "Layers donkey layers!"

With all the things using bearings in their footers these days I am very curious. And ironically, but not really those are the bearings my Mad Sci's use. Had more money then sense/cents a few years ago and really went nuts with all the mapleshade stuff. Did all their big heavy brass footers and then found the Mad Sci's which clobber them for about 1/2 to 2/3 the price. But I still love what the Ambrosia maples blocks bring to the tables.(LOL) I also have one of those in a similar set up under my computer without the carbon fiber shelf. Use a single tungsten carbide Mad Sci under each of my solid state drives to the base of the computer braced to allow them to sit on a single point. And even my ssd's are weighted with cooper blocks I had from an old gain clone project. Paul Pang straps his SSD's to aluminum blocks. Yes ssd's vibrate. Put my fingers on them to check after reading some Paul Pang stuff. I had these blocks, from an old gainclone amp project, which are as long as an SSD's and 2/3's as wide. Hot Damn. Can no longer feel any vibration from them.

Have to tread more slowly now due to less income and more medical issues. Don't get old....LOL!

I know pictures. Okay system is a bit in flux right now...but I will show you from a year ago. Basically the same now!

jgwtriode

I love how the toilet is right there for quick access while listening.

Oct 24, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #1,014 of 1,972
I hear you about isolation and fully agree. Here are my levels:

- Solid Tech Duo system rack, modified to take large RDC Cones onto a tiled/concrete floor
- Black Ravioli Base isolation shelf
- Electric Beach S1NX isolation platform on large RDC Cones into RDC Combi Bases
- X26 Pro on Black Ravioli Big Pads
- U18 on Black Ravioli Pads, AfterDark Emperor Triple Crown on Black Ravioli Pads
- Schramm weights on both
- Two grounding boxes for U18 and X26 Pro on Black Ravioli Pads with Schramm weights

I don't use spikes anywhere in my system, I find they adversely affect sound I'm curious why you have weights on the ground?
I wonder why you have weights on the grounding?
From so many weights you must have a heavy sound :dt880smile:

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #1,015 of 1,972
Believe it or not, footers and weights on the grounding boxes make a difference.

Oct 24, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #1,016 of 1,972
Oct 24, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #1,018 of 1,972
I love how the toilet is right there for quick access while listening.
Indeed! Yes priorities. Life is quite challenging at the moment and finances and career options are not where I would like right now so am renting a basement apartment right now. Thats where the the bathroom is in the back corner of the room. Can't complain too much. Rent is cheap and I am on my own, so I don't have to account to anyone. Music and audio are where I spend my disposable income. Far less than it used to be. Getting by but have to do more than just get by when it comes to listening priority.

On positive side I have direct concrete floor with 2 inch thick travertine tile flooring so I have a solid stucture under my stands. No room for any thing but my Swan m 200 mk 3+ powered desktop speakers on cinder block stands. Not seen in that picture. Surprisingly good. Otherwise just listening to my ZMF VC's on LOrdGwyn's 5998 OTL.

Happy listening get me through it all,

jgwtriode

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back