Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Jan 18, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #453 of 1,697
Let's hope these Linux/osx problems are not the reason ESS is so silent about the chip
My friend Magelan wrote them an e-mail and got following reply:

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your mail. We are aware that a particular customer in China is using the ES8620 in a new DAC.
This device was originally designed for Soundbar applications and has been non-preferred for new designs for several years.
We do not recommend this device for new designs and we are not supporting it here in Europe.
Sincerely,

David B***** "
---
They don't recommend this device, but it sounds awesome :)

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #455 of 1,697
I am using Windows and no problem (so far) at any PCM sample rates.
Could this distortion be Linux and macOS related? (I am pretty sure SOtM SMS-200 is Linux based..)
SOtM SMS-200 is Linux based, the other source I use is Fidata NAS (Japanese IO Data's high-end brand) - I have no idea about its software, it might also be Linux based. The problems could be caused by some incompatibility with Linux.

Jan 20, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #456 of 1,697
The problems could be caused by some incompatibility with Linux.

Looks like U16 currently has a problem with sample rates higher 176 and linux, this includes embedded linux devices like e.g. sotm, aries, etc.

Gustard is working on it.

Did some more testing. until new fw arrives AudioGD users can also try fw v1.4 for Holo:
- HDMI/IIS works with correct L/R, 176/192 sometimes causing problems sometimes not, like v1.4 psa as well. 352khz works so far.
- all other outputs working fine for PCM, up to 352khz for coax into Hugo2, but DSD is not working.

so v1.4 Holo seems to combine more or less working hdmi from v1.4 psa fw with working other output from plain v1.4 fw.

According to singxer Su-1 documentation the HDMI pin layout from Holo and AudioGD is the same.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #457 of 1,697
Looks like U16 currently has a problem with sample rates higher 176 and linux, this includes embedded linux devices like e.g. sotm, aries, etc.

Gustard is working on it.

Did some more testing. until new fw arrives AudioGD users can also try fw v1.4 for Holo:
- HDMI/IIS works with correct L/R, 176/192 sometimes causing problems sometimes not, like v1.4 psa as well. 352khz works so far.
- all other outputs working fine for PCM, up to 352khz for coax into Hugo2, but DSD is not working.

so v1.4 Holo seems to combine more or less working hdmi from v1.4 psa fw with working other output from plain v1.4 fw.

According to singxer Su-1 documentation the HDMI pin layout from Holo and AudioGD is the same.

As a matter of fact, i have the 176/192 problem with volumio, which is based on Raspbian linux. Great news! In the mean time, all other formats sound awesomely.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #461 of 1,697
I ordered U16 on Jan 2nd (via EBay), and it finally shipped out yesterday via DHL. We’ll see how long it takes to get here...!

Similar to me. I ordered on Ebay last week and got notified 3 days ago that DHL shipping info has been received. Item has not shipped yet though.

Jan 23, 2019 at 9:40 PM Post #462 of 1,697
This is total conjecture on my part.
Could they be working on revised circuit board for the U16 that could be causing the delays?
I have noticed other products sneak in revised boards (don't mention it), even the SU-1 has different ones as it is printed on the circuit board. I think Schiit mentioned they do it too, as revise there boards and don't mention it at the time.
So maybe these delays on shipping could be a good thing for you guys. :)

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #463 of 1,697
This is total conjecture on my part.
Could they be working on revised circuit board for the U16 that could be causing the delays?
I have noticed other products sneak in revised boards (don't mention it), even the SU-1 has different ones as it is printed on the circuit board. I think Schiit mentioned they do it too, as revise there boards and don't mention it at the time.
So maybe these delays on shipping could be a good thing for you guys. :)
Every manufacturer of every product on whole planet do revision changes time to time. Cars, blenders, TV's...everything :wink:

Jan 24, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #464 of 1,697
Every manufacturer of every product on whole planet do revision changes time to time. Cars, blenders, TV's...everything :wink:
as long, as the product completely fulfills its specification, optimizations in the production process are ok.

but it would be a different story,
if the product need modifications to be able to fulfill the specification it was sold with.

Jan 24, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #465 of 1,697
Similar to me. I ordered on Ebay last week and got notified 3 days ago that DHL shipping info has been received. Item has not shipped yet though.

Well, I just received my new U16 yesterday via DLH. Ordered on 1/2, got the DHL tracking no. on 1/7, DHL picked it up on 1/21, and they delivered it to me yesterday, 1/23.

I am pleased to say that cold, out of the box, it sounds better than my X-SPDIF2 / LPS1.2 combination, which I thought to be a really excellent combination. I now get a more holographic soundstage with better instrument / voice separation in the mix, and overall, the sound is just a bit smoother too, but I do notice a little more sibilance now, but hey, the U16 is brand new, and it needs some hours on it. I did play some 24/192 files from my MacBook Pro (2012, running Mojave) thru Roon to my Metrum Onyx DAC via AES/EBU, and I had no issues whatsoever. This U16 is definately worth it I think!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back