Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Dec 22, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #197 of 1,697
Congrats Fred and give it a few days to settle in. More bass is the first item noticed followed by better vocals and less grain. This hopefully evolves with more balance. Width and depth took a few more days to develop.

I am just amazed how well 16-bit CD audio sounds using the U16 with R7. Really good!
I am getting a taste of what you describe already, and i am sure things will get better.

Dec 23, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #207 of 1,697
Hmm, dumb question, is the 64 bit determined by the computer OS only, not the computer itself ?

Windows 8 is available in both 32bit and 64bit variants.

Unless your CPU is quite old or a not so old low end CPU it should be 64bit capable. Having said that you can generally run 32bit Windows OSes on 64bit hardware and for a time it was not unusual to see 32-bit Windows loaded on to 64-bit hardware due to better software and driver compatibility for 32-bit back in the day.

Pull up the system icon in the control panel. You should see something similar to the screen below, my system is running Windows 10 but the basic info screen is pretty much the same back through windows XP. You should see if you are running 32-bit or 64-bit Windows.

WindowsVersion.JPG

Dec 23, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #208 of 1,697
Nice! I also notice somewhere there is fiberoptical HDMI cable, wonder if that would good for audio.

The fiber optic HDMI cables are intended for long cable runs up to 328ft. Expensive and requires +5V on both sides to power the optic chips. The AGD DACs do not supply HDMI-type power. Compared to a short, regular cable fiber seems to add an unnecessary signal conversion layer. But one benefit with fiber is galvanic isolation.

Dec 23, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #209 of 1,697
Hmm, dumb question, is the 64 bit determined by the computer OS only, not the computer itself ?

by both and also by the application.

each "foundation" must be at least the same Bit architecture or higher:
Hardware > OS > Application

Meaning, if you want to run a 64bit application, a 64bit OS is required, which requires a 64bit HW.

If you want to run a 32bit application, either 32bit or 64bit OS is fine and a 32bit OS either runs on 32 or 64 bit hardware.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #210 of 1,697
The fiber optic HDMI cables are intended for long cable runs up to 328ft. Expensive and requires +5V on both sides to power the optic chips. The AGD DACs do not supply HDMI-type power. Compared to a short, regular cable fiber seems to add an unnecessary signal conversion layer. But one benefit with fiber is galvanic isolation.
The conversion to optical and back to voltage introduces jitter. I think it is a reallly bad idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back