Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Sep 27, 2014 at 2:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3,700
After rolling through a bunch of USB interfaces including 3 different John Kenny's, M2Tech Highface and Evo, Audiophilleo 2, Musiland 02 and Musiland USB 3.0 USD. I settled on the Musiland USB 3.0 as the best sounding. Made better with a Aqvox linear power supply. I've been running this for over a year and really happy. But heard about this unit and just ordered one, wanted to see if anyone has tried it.

Looks promising:

- Native 32 bit 384Khz 8 X-core XMOS chip. Multi-thread. USB class 2.0 Async.

- Seperate 0.1ppm TCXO clocks, Temperature Controlled High Precision Active Crystal. One for each clocking ratio.

- Independent Linear Power Supply. Sealing Torodial Transformer, Multiple Sets of Multi-Level Regulation

- Four outputs: Coaxial (RCA), Optical Fiber, AES/EBU, IIS (HDMI port).

- DSD support to 128. PCM to 384K.

- Latest XMOS Thesycon ASIO v1.6.1 drivers, strong driver support for future Windows versions.

http://www.kidultdiagnostic.com/blogs/new-release-gustard-u12-native-32bit-384khz-xmos-0-1ppm-dac/

Pics to follow.

Sep 28, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #6 of 3,700
I have the U10 I bought before the U12 came out. It dumped the Hiface 2 I had been using. I am waiting to see if there is any reason for me to change my U10 for a U12. The only obvious change is the display which I can do without. I have been very pleased with the performance of the U10 and the price was laughingly low.

Sep 28, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 3,700
I have the U10 I bought before the U12 came out. It dumped the Hiface 2 I had been using. I am waiting to see if there is any reason for me to change my U10 for a U12. The only obvious change is the display which I can do without. I have been very pleased with the performance of the U10 and the price was laughingly low.
Yes, they look very similar. Two of the large blue caps in the U12, it looks like only one in the U1O. I can't tell about some of the chips, XMOS and clocks look the same.

Did you have any issues with installing the driver? Are you running Windows 7?

Sep 28, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #8 of 3,700
Yes, they look very similar. Two of the large blue caps in the U12, it looks like only one in the U1O. I can't tell about some of the chips, XMOS and clocks look the same.

Did you have any issues with installing the driver? Are you running Windows 7?

Yes, I am running windows 7. I modified the latest Thesycon drivers myself to work with the Gustard. That way I could have the latest full version of the Thesycon driver. The driver supplied with the Gustard is a generic version of the Thesycon with limited features. If you need the full version I modified just pm me. I should point out that my modified drivers I made are for the U10 as I don't have the U12.

I contacted one of the Ebay sellers and they claim that the xmos chip in the U12 is a newer version from the U10. I have no idea if that is honest information (or if that matters). Since both the U10 and the U12 clock at the same rates I'm not sure that the seller was not just trying to make a sale. If I can confirm that information is true I may go for the new version as the cost is very minimal and I have been very impressed with the U10.

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #10 of 3,700
Yes, I am running windows 7. I modified the latest Thesycon drivers myself to work with the Gustard. That way I could have the latest full version of the Thesycon driver. The driver supplied with the Gustard is a generic version of the Thesycon with limited features. If you need the full version I modified just pm me. I should point out that my modified drivers I made are for the U10 as I don't have the U12.

I contacted one of the Ebay sellers and they claim that the xmos chip in the U12 is a newer version from the U10. I have no idea if that is honest information (or if that matters). Since both the U10 and the U12 clock at the same rates I'm not sure that the seller was not just trying to make a sale. If I can confirm that information is true I may go for the new version as the cost is very minimal and I have been very impressed with the U10.
When I get mine, I'll open it up and take some closeups of the chips to post. I'll PM you for the driver, couldn't hurt. Thanks!

I'm sure the XMOS is constantly being updated. One thing about the Musiland, it has an excellent monitor window with a digital balance control that comes in real handy. Does the Theyson/Gustard offer this? Do you use Jplay?

Sep 29, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #11 of 3,700
When I get mine, I'll open it up and take some closeups of the chips to post. I'll PM you for the driver, couldn't hurt. Thanks!

I'm sure the XMOS is constantly being updated. One thing about the Musiland, it has an excellent monitor window with a digital balance control that comes in real handy. Does the Theyson/Gustard offer this? Do you use Jplay?

I don't know anything about Jplay I use Jriver and Foobar but I can tell you the Gustard does not have any balance control. I would expect that to be an unusual feature for a usb converter.

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #12 of 3,700
I don't know anything about Jplay I use Jriver and Foobar but I can tell you the Gustard does not have any balance control. I would expect that to be an unusual feature for a usb converter.
It's really good, with control over the various outputs, vol and bal.
Here is a screen shot of the Musiland control panel.

I was hoping the Gustard offered something similar

Sep 29, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #14 of 3,700
It's really good, with control over the various outputs, vol and bal.
Here is a screen shot of the Musiland control panel.

I was hoping the Gustard offered something similar

Oh, you were talking about a software control. Yes in the TUSB Audio Control Panel there is a balance control. I thought you meant some type of hardware control. It is a simple left/right channel gain control. Nothing as elaborate as the one in your picture. Frankly, when I feel the need for a software digital volume control I just use Jriver internal. It works fine for me as long as you stay under 10db change I find the results to do no damage.

Sep 29, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #15 of 3,700
Oh, you were talking about a software control. Yes in the TUSB Audio Control Panel there is a balance control. I thought you meant some type of hardware control. It is a simple left/right channel gain control. Nothing as elaborate as the one in your picture. Frankly, when I feel the need for a software digital volume control I just use Jriver internal. It works fine for me as long as you stay under 10db change I find the results to do no damage.
Yes, foobar has similar, but I find the 1dB fine control of the Musiland really useful. Good to hear about the TUSB control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back