Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Oct 25, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #121 of 3,700
  Couldn't tell you with the U12 as I was already using the AC5 with the U10 and just swapped it with the 12 when it arrived.

That said, I haven't met a single piece of equipment yet that hasn't been improved with the use of a good quality PC.
99% of my system is powered through PS Audio AC12's, 10's, or 5's.

+1 My other Gustard was noticeably improved by an old CPCC model 11 pc I had laying around.  The Shunyata Venom 3 is quite a bit better.  It'll be interesting to see what changes it makes.

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #123 of 3,700
  Do you think the pinouts are the same on both the stock and Amgis trannys?  It [size=13.3333330154419px]appears so except sideways.[/size]  The Amgis is  115VAC on the top - 7VDC on the bottom.  Looking down neg on the left - pos on the right. The stock is looking down 115V on the left - but looks like 9V on the right.  Is that Neg to the left on the DC - the AC to the right?  Wondering if I might need a 9V version?

It looks like these might be better in this unit - both 9V http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/L01-6341/TE2245-ND/2137075
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/70041K/1295-1041-ND/3881432   The Amgis is $19 and the Talema is $22.

Also the caps to the right of the FCs the metal cans look like 16V 330uf (C55 & C56) - what do you think?  Will replace with Oscons. The stock ones have a little black box SMD on the bottom, those are the polymers?  
Digikey has the through the hole Nichicon FP's http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/RHT1C331MDN1/493-3739-ND/2207349 

18V Center Tap (9V-0V-9V) is the secondary voltage based on the pictures. The little metal can caps with the blue stripe on top are SMD, this can either be polymer or regular aluminum electrolytic, can't quite make out the markings on your picture. These have to be SMD not thru hole if you are replacing them.

The unit in my pictures is not the U12  and the secondary voltage of the transformer is different.

The ones you selected are 10VA, Gustard is using 15VA. The link below are the candidate units

Before you buy, measure the sides of the Gustard unit. The ones in the link below are 60mm x 60mm

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?pv258=60&FV=19440081&k=15va+toroidal&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

Either the  Talema or Amgis in the link will do the job 

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:44 AM Post #124 of 3,700
  18V Center Tap (9V-0V-9V) is the secondary voltage based on the pictures. The little metal can caps with the blue stripe on top are SMD, this can either be polymer or regular aluminum electrolytic, can't quite make out the markings on your picture. These have to be SMD not thru hole if you are replacing them.

The unit in my pictures is not the U12  and the secondary voltage of the transformer is different.

The ones you selected are 10VA, Gustard is using 15VA. The link below are the candidate units

Before you buy, measure the sides of the Gustard unit. The ones in the link below are 60mm x 60mm

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?pv258=60&FV=19440081&k=15va+toroidal&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

Either the  Talema or Amgis in the link will do the job 

Thanks for the guidance.  It looks like the 115V pins on the stock are lined up to the left of the unit when viewed from the top and the model numbers on the top.  The Amgis looks like the 115V pins are on the top, again viewed from the top and the model numbers on the top.

Wouldn't I align the 115V pins?  So mount the Amgis with the 115V pins to the left as well?

It looks like Berkerly Design Audio Alpha (the statement $1800 USB interface) uses the same silver SMD cap with the half blue circle along with the XMOS chip.  I think I'll keep those.

Oct 26, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #125 of 3,700
  Thanks for the guidance.  It looks like the 115V pins on the stock are lined up to the left of the unit when viewed from the top and the model numbers on the top.  The Amgis looks like the 115V pins are on the top, again viewed from the top and the model numbers on the top.

Wouldn't I align the 115V pins?  So mount the Amgis with the 115V pins to the left as well?

Post a picture of the underside of the board, it has to be a flat, straight on view. The important part is the layout of the output pins, the Amgis only goes in one way. The 115V (Primary side) has pins that are closer together.

Amgis datasheet: http://www.amgistoroids.com/assets/files/L01%20Series%2050%2060%20Hz%20PC%20Mount%20Toroidal%20Transformers.pdf

The distance between pins 2 and 3 is 0.1" or 2.54 mm closer together compared to the distance between pins 6 and 7

Oct 26, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #126 of 3,700

Post a picture of the underside of the board, it has to be a flat, straight on view. The important part is the layout of the output pins, the Amgis only goes in one way. The 115V (Primary side) has pins that are closer together.

Amgis datasheet: http://www.amgistoroids.com/assets/files/L01%20Series%2050%2060%20Hz%20PC%20Mount%20Toroidal%20Transformers.pdf

The distance between pins 2 and 3 is 0.1" or 2.54 mm closer together compared to the distance between pins 6 and 7

Yes - it does appear the 115V pins would be to the left - measuring from the outside pins they are approx 44mm versus the ones near the edge to the right at approx 51mm -looking down.

The outside case does appear to be 60mm x 60mm.

Thanks!

PS It looks like the stock has a center hole mount.  On the Amgis it look like an equiv M4 threaded screw 

Since it looks like Digikey has both the Amgis and the Talema - which do you think is better?  The Talema is $5 more expensive.

Oct 26, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #127 of 3,700

Yes - it does appear the 115V pins would be to the left - measuring from the outside pins they are approx 44mm versus the ones near the edge to the right at approx 51mm -looking down.

The outside case does appear to be 60mm x 60mm.

Thanks!

PS It looks like the stock has a center hole mount.  On the Amgis it look like an equiv M4 threaded screw 

Since it looks like Digikey has both the Amgis and the Talema - which do you think is better?  The Talema is $5 more expensive.

>>Yes - it does appear the 115V pins would be to the left - measuring from the outside pins they are approx 44mm versus the ones near the edge to the right at approx 51mm -looking down.

I suggest holding off, Gustard may be using an inverted pin setup to the standard layout (that is the Primary and secondaries are swapped).

I have ordered the U12 which arrives in about 2 weeks. On the Amgis the closer pin set is the primary, it looks like the primary on the Gustard is the pin out that is spaced more widely apart.

Tracing from the mains input socket is the safest option, see where the 115V input is going into, if it goes to the narrower pin set then you can replace it with the Amgis or Talema, otherwise this is a proprietary pinout.

Oct 26, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #128 of 3,700
  >>Yes - it does appear the 115V pins would be to the left - measuring from the outside pins they are approx 44mm versus the ones near the edge to the right at approx 51mm -looking down.

I suggest holding off, Gustard may be using an inverted pin setup to the standard layout (that is the Primary and secondaries are swapped).

I have ordered the U12 which arrives in about 2 weeks. On the Amgis the closer pin set is the primary, it looks like the primary on the Gustard is the pin out that is spaced more widely apart.

Tracing from the mains input socket is the safest option, see where the 115V input is going into, if it goes to the narrower pin set then you can replace it with the Amgis or Talema, otherwise this is a proprietary pinout.

OK I'll hold off.  Thanks for your help

Oct 30, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #131 of 3,700
Just got my Gustard U12 last night. Briefly listened to it using the default ASIO XMOS driver feeding it via  a 75 ohm Coaxial RCA cable to my Bifrost/Lyr stack. I actually could not pick out any distinct differences between this setup and the optical out on my desktop to my Bifrost. This might be because I'm not using the most revealing headphone around, my ZMF V1s (my HE-560's are out for a week), or maybe because I don't have sensitive-enough ears (I couldn't tell the difference between WASAPI (event) and Directsound on my Bifrost or my ODAC).

I'm gonna wait till my HE-560 comes back and let my U12 burn in for a bit before passing any judgement. More impressions soon!

Oct 30, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #132 of 3,700
Hi there,
one of the owner could please post the size of the Gustard U12 (L x H x P) ?
I have a small slot between the NAS and the DAC Musical Fidelity...
Thank you in advance

Oct 30, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #134 of 3,700
  Just got my Gustard U12 last night. Briefly listened to it using the default ASIO XMOS driver feeding it via  a 75 ohm Coaxial RCA cable to my Bifrost/Lyr stack. I actually could not pick out any distinct differences between this setup and the optical out on my desktop to my Bifrost. This might be because I'm not using the most revealing headphone around, my ZMF V1s (my HE-560's are out for a week), or maybe because I don't have sensitive-enough ears (I couldn't tell the difference between WASAPI (event) and Directsound on my Bifrost or my ODAC).

I'm gonna wait till my HE-560 comes back and let my U12 burn in for a bit before passing any judgement. More impressions soon!

Thanks for the update.  In all systems it may not always be an improvement.  I know in both of mine it certainly has been.

Just got the Shunyata Venom 3s power chord  - will give it a try tonight on the Gustard in my main system.

Nov 1, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #135 of 3,700

Users who are viewing this thread

Back