Gustard H20 headphone amp
Jan 28, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #361 of 646
I listen to Beyer T1 2nd Gens through the "H" single-ended output at 9 o' clock and it's plenty loud. I'm feeding through a Dragonfly Red set to force max volume (basically a workaround for lack of a line out) so that may partially account for the volume.

Jan 30, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #363 of 646
20190130_195808.jpg

Can't wait till weekends

Jan 30, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #364 of 646
If you using RCA to balanced interconnects you volume might be slightly lower then RCA ,2c
Nope, my ARES DAC has balance out to H20 balance in.

My MHDT paradisea DAC is RCA out to balance H20 input.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #365 of 646
Nice the height of the V6 is just right. Can't wait for your impressions!

Jan 30, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #366 of 646
Picked them up from classified few days ago so now I can compare all three ,with no particular order

* 994 Enh-Ticha- refined and musical ,natural (best with my LCD-2)
* V6 vivid - dynamic,3D/decent sound-stage (best with SR-207 )
* SS3602 - natural,clean ,fast,kinda reminds me of my recently sold THXAAA789

All the above are very transparent with excellent separation and detail , source- X20 Pro connected via toslink

Jan 30, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #367 of 646
Thanks for the comparo!

I have a modified Oppo PM-2 (Audio Zenith Pmx2 v.2) so I think will go to the 994 Enh-Ticha route. More or less the sound signature that I like.

And while researching on the Sonic Imagery Labs website. I come across this version: Model 994FC-Enh-Ticha Dual.

A post from the LKS Audio MH-DA003 has this information:

The Model 992FC-Enh-Ticha single is a higher output current drive option
(150mA vs 175/200pk mA) and the 3 resistors in the audio path are
replaced with (1) TaN type in the internal comp and (2) Vishay Naked
Foil type in the drive stage. This option is special order and adds
$40.00 to the cost of the opamp. ($89.00 total/ qty 1-4 pcs)

The 994 is the DUAL opamp equivalent of the Model 992
The Model 994FC-Enh-Ticha DUAL is a higher output current drive option
and same components above replaced. This option is special order and
adds $80.00 to the cost of the opamp. ($174.00 total/ qty 1-4 pcs).

Question for those electronic experts. Will this work on the Gustard H20? It might be outrageous but just exploring options and I am not adequate on this opamp stuff.

Thanks for your patience.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 3:41 AM Post #370 of 646
How does this compare to the THX 789? Is it worth double the price?
I've got both and the Gustard is still the number 1 choice for me,as to whether it's worth double is a personal issue.I wouldn't rate it twice as good but just better.I listen to flac tracks through a metrum hex into the H20 onto audioquest nighthawks and for my ears it's the best I've heard yet.

Feb 4, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #372 of 646
I thought the 789 used a discrete amplifier circuit and the 1602's were only used when converting balanced to single ended, internally. If you use SE input on 789 the 1602's are never used. Is this wrong?

Can't quite wrap my head around an $800 amp that intentionally uses op-amps, and the horror of op-amp rolling as a feature. There are amp's half the size and price that are fully discrete, or class A transistor. Rolling Op-amp's and Capacitors' in then signal chain is not the same as rolling tubes. As tubes are used for flavor on purpose, op-amp's and caps in the signal path are done for cost cutting and/or poor design.

That thing's got a crap-load of Wima Film caps in it too... I sure hope it doesn't have more then one or two in the signal path.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #373 of 646
I thought the 789 used a discrete amplifier circuit and the 1602's were only used when converting balanced to single ended, internally. If you use SE input on 789 the 1602's are never used. Is this wrong?

Can't quite wrap my head around an $800 amp that intentionally uses op-amps, and the horror of op-amp rolling as a feature. There are amp's half the size and price that are fully discrete, or class A transistor. Rolling Op-amp's and Capacitors' in then signal chain is not the same as rolling tubes. As tubes are used for flavor on purpose, op-amp's and caps in the signal path are done for cost cutting and/or poor design.

That thing's got a ****-load of Wima Film caps in it too... I sure hope it doesn't have more then one or two in the signal path.

Hi Mike,no point in getting all mad :) ,no one is trying to steer controversy and what not ,one of the reasons I bought this amp was roll-able opamps
I previously owned very good OTL and still have a bunch of tubes and other tube amps but the day I tried "discrete" opamps it was over ,still miss the euphoria you get with valves but I couldn't deal with all that distortion,hum,etc
Take a good look around ...any SS gear below THD + N: <0.001 or below .000x % most likely have opamp implemented (top tier and Stax included ) in the circuit just like "WIMA"..I rather have caps then no caps at all (you can hear the effect on 789 when it's idle or turned off)
You can find all opamp specs online or do little research yourself ,it's not that difficult,even old man like me can do it ,789 is as good as they get under 1K no doubt but it wasn't for me

Now back to where I started ...listening to 2x opa 1602A as I type ,btw it's direct LME49720 replacement
for fainthearted :)
http://e2e.ti.com/support/audio/f/6/t/457875

I can't do direct A/B comparison since 789 was recently sold but if you own 789 and willing to do proper comparison PM me and if you have a pair coming your way (US only) ,just send it back when you done
Here is my 2c I'm very surprised how good this opamps are ..sounds pretty much like the other amp ,just little bid thicker and less analytical,it retains same low end definition , thump-er opamp...and ..balanced LOL
Cheers

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #374 of 646
Mar 20, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #375 of 646

Users who are viewing this thread

Back