Gustard H20 headphone amp
Dec 8, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #331 of 646
Got this amp a few days ago. Oh boy, based on memory, its a notch, if not two, above the Violetric V281, or all other amps I had (all solid states). Still on the stock opamp at this moment but have 2x sparkos on order.

Discard the prices, features, form factors, aesthetics, and build qualities, talking only about the overall sound quality only, all amps I had (check out sig) did not WOW me in anyway, they were all good enough but just not impressive in anyway. H20 is for sure the first one that does it.

I got nothing to complain about the sound. For the functionalities:
1: all outputs can be used at the same time, including the preout. I wish theres a on/off switch on the preouts and headphone jacks.
2: the "L" 1/4 jack supposbly more suitable for low imped/high sensitivity cans or even IEMs, but I find it sound very noticeably worse than the "H" 1/4 jack or the XLR, at least for my Andromeda S and Solaris.
3: The 'Gain' switch is confusing. If I remember it correct from past reading, its more of a tonal adjustment in treble, mids, and bass, rather than the usual 'gain' we talk about. So its like an hardware EQ.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #332 of 646
Here is my take on it
-Both 1/4 headphone outputs are intended for Low-impedance (under 50 ohm) headphones /IEM and the Balanced for the "big dogs"
16 ohm IEMs worked perfect using 1/4 "H" output and my sensitive HD58x ( 170 ohm) seems to do just fine using 1/4 "L" jack
Harder to drive LCD-2's required balanced output ,don't know if this is placebo effect or what but dual 3pin balanced sounds better then 4pin ?
"Gain" switch should be only used with 1/4 outputs for balanced it should be at "normal" position only ,I think there is like 15 seconds delay when switching from Low to High

Burn-in is real...I was having some imbalanced issues at the begging so I left the unit running for 3 days non-stop , all good now :)

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #333 of 646
It's a real shame H20 dont get enough attention here. It's a true gem in the classical sense.

Sure, it does not look so catchy and like a Cavalli knock off on the outside, but the sound is incredible... personally, judging from the sound only, i would not surprised if it had a $3000 price tag compared to other brands offering.

Dec 10, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #334 of 646
It's a real shame H20 dont get enough attention here. It's a true gem in the classical sense.

Sure, it does not look so catchy and like a Cavalli knock off on the outside, but the sound is incredible... personally, judging from the sound only, i would not surprised if it had a $3000 price tag compared to other brands offering.
True. With the Sparkos opamps I prefer it even over the Audio-GD HE-9. The latter is a bit more detailed/resolving, but transients seem rolled off compared to the H20 w/ SS3602s, making the latter a lot more enjoyable.

Dec 10, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #335 of 646

The inside of mine looks fine. But even if it didn't, I could take care of that in short order. Judging from what I hear at shows I've attended its value to Dollar ratio is FAR more "sane" than most of the things I saw and heard at the last couple of shows I visited. I've had my say about hyperinflation in Audio, so I won't repeat it. Too much of the marketplace is trying to retire on selling one (or ten) of something. Inverted pyramids are inherently unstable. At some point, reality will have to reassert itself and I think Gustard's wise to stay on the leading edge of that not yet quite a trend. But it'll happen. The real tragedy will be if the '80s are repeated and the marketplace decides to strip the quality out. Take a look at what sold for $1300.00 in 1978 (https://www.hifiengine.com/images/model/pioneer_sx-1980_stereo_receiver.jpg) and what sold for $1300.00 in 1985. (SX-V90-far lower build quality) The drop in fit and finish quality was dwarfed by the drop in SQ. They sounded lightweight because those '80's receivers WERE lightweight. (But the prices kept rising!)

Dec 15, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #336 of 646
Burn -in 200+ hours ..time to come out of the closet haha

This amp can make one realized you were doing it all wrong ...seriously, I didn't expect all that much coming from H10 (good separation thanks to dual transformers) , just want it slight improvement and balanced output so I could pair it with iFi iESL/estats
I'm not new to opamp rolling and knew what LM49720 was all about -pulled it out without even trying (typical. opamp vs. discrete opamp is like switching from black and white TV...) installed SS3602 then 994Enh-Ticha and been using ever since
Chain: Flac files or Tidal /Topping D50 via optical (fuller-livelier sound ) or USB for DSD
First thing I noticed was how the amp reacted to a source and prefer Delta Sigma over R2R ,it's just to reviling with the ladder DAC
Next was ability to actually noticed the difference when switching filters on my D50 :) ,this amp told Spotify to go fly a kite and give Tidal big wet kiss..lossless and DSD sound amazing on H20
In comparison between SS3602 and 994Enh-Ticha,both are exceptional upgrade and should be mandatory with this unit ,SS3602 is slightly more linear with a bit tighter low end then slightly more musical (mids come to mind) and a bit more specious sound-stage on 994Enh,both are very good and natural,you won't see night and day difference between both but will pick up settle differences down the road
As for my previous favorite Burson V6,I can't compare them directly since I sold them along with H10 but I'm sure you won't be disappointed ,I had a lot of fun with them
Keep in mind this is based on D50 - triple opa1612 (coherent,up-front low end )
H10/Burson V6 vivid+ classic singles vs. H20/994Enh-Ticha ..hands down H20
This amp propelled my LCD-2 from chopping block to #1,synergy is crazy
Cheers

Edit; I forgot to mention the power cord ,it was also replaced with Pangea

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #337 of 646
Ok but used a H20 with a single dac like D50 is no sense for me! The sound is more dynamic with a balanced dac like X20pro or Audio GD else....

Dec 15, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #339 of 646
Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #341 of 646
I've used mine with a D50 and that combo works flawlessly. I keep my H20 with my Lynx Hilo/main setup, but with the passage of time, I'm realizing that the Lynx's Headphone output (while not as good as the H20) is good enough to suffice. I need to loosen up a little desk Real Estate, so eventually, it's likely to wind up in my bedroom as soon as I can find the right place for it. In my experience, it's not picky about the DAC's with which it is paired.

Jan 7, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #342 of 646
I just pull the trigger on this amp since there is an agent where I am.

Any different using 4 pin & 2 X 3 pin balance output?

Already have 2 X V6 dual vivid on standby. SS3602 on the way.

Jan 18, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #343 of 646
Can anyone please comment on any of the following:
  • Comparison vs Questyle CMA600I?
  • Synergy with Audeze LCD-2 (fazor)?
  • Synergy with ZMF Eikon?
Thanks in advance!

Jan 21, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #344 of 646
Got mine today. Are there 2 versions of H20? Mine is single voltage selector vs massdrop's dual voltage selector. Just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back