GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Jan 14, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #4,156 of 5,552
Good luck swabbie. It's a substantial improvement

Jan 14, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #4,157 of 5,552
  Uh..........My bursons (Full Boat) just arrived at 10:30 this morning..........that was WAY faster than I expected.

According to headfi my post http://www.head-fi.org/t/735828/gustard-h10-high-current-discrete-class-a-output-stage-headphone-amplifier/4080#post_12239517 was 3 days 21 hours ago. That has to be a new record or something right?

Haven't put them in yet, most likely going to install them tomorrow on my day off so I can have all day to listen and put some burn in time into these bad boys. I just hope these don't start developing issues. The journey begins tomorrow!

The fun seems to start soon, be prepared to have it. 

Jan 14, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #4,158 of 5,552
Uh..........My bursons (Full Boat) just arrived at 10:30 this morning..........that was WAY faster than I expected.

According to headfi my post http://www.head-fi.org/t/735828/gustard-h10-high-current-discrete-class-a-output-stage-headphone-amplifier/4080#post_12239517 was 3 days 21 hours ago. That has to be a new record or something right?

Haven't put them in yet, most likely going to install them tomorrow on my day off so I can have all day to listen and put some burn in time into these bad boys. I just hope these don't start developing issues. The journey begins tomorrow!

Mine arrived today. I ordered mine 21 days ago. I wonder if these are the updated ones and they were under development and testing after I ordered?

All my gear is packed for the move tomorrow, so no listening for a while. Hopefully all goes smooth and can get the station set up early next week.

Jan 14, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #4,160 of 5,552
I received my V5 duals today (16 days).

Disappointed:   http://www.head-fi.org/t/784790/burson-supreme-sound-audio-v5-opa-d-v5-opa-s-review/75#post_12253412

Update:  I'm feeling less disappointed.  Listening as they burn-in and just 30 minutes out of the box, they're improving dramatically - starting to win me over with a few attributes that are really special.  

Something wonderful is about to happen.

biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #4,161 of 5,552
Hi Guys, 

To clarify, 

* We are introducing a stricter QC process, not redesigning the V5.
* All customers should continue to use their V5s and the chances are most of them will be able to handle the 16.5V+- with ease.
* If any of your V5 develops any issues then we’ll replace them with brand new units. 

Thanks for all your support guys :) 

Dennis

Burson Audio Stay updated on Burson Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BursonAudio https://twitter.com/bursonaudio http://www.bursonaudio.com/products/
Jan 14, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #4,162 of 5,552
My H10 is about to arrive in couple of days, waiting excitedly
I'm reading this thread in reverse direction to page 256 now. Sorry for my lacking of the audio engineering knowledge, I still don't know why need 4 Burson v5s, Does 2 single opamps are for RCA channels and the 2 dual for balanced channels? 
Would be much obliged to anyone could share some experience with opa627, as I learn from internet it is also a very good opamp and much cheaper than the Burson V5s
I am using a much weak amp to drive my HE560 and HM801 combo, it is acceptable but really what to see how this guys leap with a decent amp.

Jan 15, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #4,166 of 5,552
My experiences, so far, with fitting some Burson V5S single discrete op-amps.
Gustard H10 (with v.approx 150hrs use)-

Fitting:
Tools used - 2 x Allen (hexagonal) keys (2mm & 2.5mm (I think)) + Wife's tweezers (Don't tell her!)

The plastic op-amp case appears to have done its job!

Top plate removed, to reveal output (single) integrated op-amp's location.

Integrated op-amps removed.

I used metal tweezers, hooking the pincers underneath the ends of the op-amp. This risked doing some damage, but it's most important to use a gentle wiggling motion, and make sure that they lift out as straight as possible, to avoid jamming. (Lifting the amp lid, was more difficult! (The amp hadn't been powered up since the previous day.)).

An op-amp socket. (Notice the U-shaped recess, towards the top. This indicates the op-amp orientation.)

A V5S (wonkily) in place. (Just visible is its U-shaped groove).

V5's pushed easily into place.

Ready to go!!!

Other kit-
Source: QLS QA550 SD card transport, feeding a Cambridge Audio vintage DAC (both heavily modified). Connected to the H10 via Missing Link Alaqia 0.5m cable.
'Phones: Audeze LCD2f (with CAT 5 DIY headphone cable).

Music- Various tracks: Mostly Electronica, but some mainstream rock/pop, including live recordings.

What difference(s) did I hear?

--------

Listening notes-

2-3 hours:

mid-centric, more 'throat' to vocals,
wider sound stage or spread out?, still good image
treble- same extension; no clearer, but more realism/energy,
bass- maybe fuller upper or less deep bass,

6 hours:
treble- settled- more natural
bass- fuller, more low end

7hrs: bass- much more present, more ext.

30-40 hrs:
clean, fast sound
bass-  punchy, articulate but full
starting to have realistic experiences (not sure if recording or external sound)
treble- still slightly uneven.

---------

So yes, an obvious change. But what exactly that change is (what's happening to what part of the frequency spectrum, that's causing the perceived differences), is difficult to characterise; such as at a particular freq. I can't say that there's a particular difference, even at the freq extremes, such as an extended bandwidth, like other members have mentioned. Maybe there's more treble, but I would have to do swabbing and re-swabbing to know, for sure. So, I'm afraid that my description is only of a limited scope.

What I've found that they do is 2 things:

1. Soundstage: the most obvious difference, for me, was a large increase in breadth of soundstage and space between instruments/performers; what was more centralised (in my head), is now more spread out. The instruments that were playing to one side, but still in-between my ears, have moved more out to the 'phones diaphragm region. And what was a little stuck in the diaphragm area (a weakness of planar 'phones), is now making a more successful effort at breaking into the free space around my head (as opposed to the plentiful, free and unused space, inside of it). This perceived increase in soundstage has occurred with no loss of focus, or solidity, to each instrument/performer; in fact, maybe the opposite; the performers seem to be more defined within the space that they occupy.
This change is the most obvious, and was so, right from the first moment of listening.

2. This is the bit that's hard (for me) to quantify; I feel like I'm only able to say "Err....umm....well,.... i'it just sounds...(cue: nonplussed shaking of head, whilst brain attempts to find concise and informative description).......better.".
I'm used to being able to get a pretty good idea of what aspect(s) of the sound has changed, when swapping bits of equipment. But with these op-amps, all I can really say is that the whole audio spectrum seems to have taken on more focus; the treble is clearer (and maybe more extended), and this phenomenon extends all the way down through the frequency range, into the bass.

I can't, for sure, say that the bass has more extension (goes deeper); sometimes I think so, but other times I think there's less bass. I can only put this down to increased focus; the bass is more accurate than before; maybe, previously unnoticed bass bloat has been reduced. Whilst the bass, that is present, has taken on more articulation and resolution; more character; the characteristics of the instrument that's creating it.

Some have mentioned more body (This is what really piqued my curiosity). Whilst I'm still not getting the fullness, weight and solidity, with my lcd2f, that I desire, vocals, such as Beck's in 'Sea Change', do seem to have more 'throat'. So, I guess that there is more 'body'. And something like Krist Novoselic's big acoustic guitar (in Nirvana Unplugged) does now sound like it's back on the stage, rather than sounding like it's located in another room. Although, it still sounds a little small or distant. And Dave's drum kit (softer 'acoustic' sticks noted) still sounds a bit like a toy. But as I say, this may be more of a reference to my personal preference, and current 'phones, rather than the H10 with the V5S.

To summarise, the V5S does increase all detail resolution and, very noticeably, improve the realism and naturalness of the sound (surely these are quite high up on the list of what high fidelity music reproduction is about). So I think that, even with just 30-40 hours burn-in (Burson recommend 100), the fitting of some Burson V5S's moves the H10 up another category in performance.

What to put in these dual op-amp slots?

Whilst I'm happy with the improvements of the singles, I don't fancy paying twice the price for the fraction of an improvement that the dual op-amps offer (when compared to the singles). I guess that I'll wait and observe the feedback of others who have experimented with the duals vs other good dual op-amp integrated chips.
popcorn.gif

I'll periodically post any updates here. (I'm not sure if there's another change already; I must have hit the 50 hour mark! 
biggrin.gif
)

Jan 15, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #4,167 of 5,552
  My H10 is about to arrive in couple of days, waiting excitedly
I'm reading this thread in reverse direction to page 256 now. Sorry for my lacking of the audio engineering knowledge, I still don't know why need 4 Burson v5s, Does 2 single opamps are for RCA channels and the 2 dual for balanced channels? 
Would be much obliged to anyone could share some experience with opa627, as I learn from internet it is also a very good opamp and much cheaper than the Burson V5s
I am using a much weak amp to drive my HE560 and HM801 combo, it is acceptable but really what to see how this guys leap with a decent amp.

I used OPA627s in the single channels of H10 and I liked it very much. I can live with OPA627, but of course, I like Burson's single channel version even more. I have tried a few opamps, and I like OPA627 most if I haven't bought the Bursons. 

OPA627 is not much cheaper these days than Burson's V5s (with some discount). 

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #4,170 of 5,552
  My experiences, so far, with fitting some Burson V5S single discrete op-amps.
Gustard H10 (with v.approx 150hrs use)-

Fitting:
Tools used - 2 x Allen (hexagonal) keys (2mm & 2.5mm (I think)) + Wife's tweezers (Don't tell her!)

The plastic op-amp case appears to have done its job!

Top plate removed, to reveal output (single) integrated op-amp's location.

Integrated op-amps removed.

I used metal tweezers, hooking the pincers underneath the ends of the op-amp. This risked doing some damage, but it's most important to use a gentle wiggling motion, and make sure that they lift out as straight as possible, to avoid jamming. (Lifting the amp lid, was more difficult! (The amp hadn't been powered up since the previous day.)).

An op-amp socket. (Notice the U-shaped recess, towards the top. This indicates the op-amp orientation.)

A V5S (wonkily) in place. (Just visible is its U-shaped groove).

V5's pushed easily into place.

Ready to go!!!

Other kit-
Source: QLS QA550 SD card transport, feeding a Cambridge Audio vintage DAC (both heavily modified). Connected to the H10 via Missing Link Alaqia 0.5m cable.
'Phones: Audeze LCD2f (with CAT 5 DIY headphone cable).

Music- Various tracks: Mostly Electronica, but some mainstream rock/pop, including live recordings.

What difference(s) did I hear?

--------

Listening notes-

2-3 hours:

mid-centric, more 'throat' to vocals,
wider sound stage or spread out?, still good image
treble- same extension; no clearer, but more realism/energy,
bass- maybe fuller upper or less deep bass,

6 hours:
treble- settled- more natural
bass- fuller, more low end

7hrs: bass- much more present, more ext.

30-40 hrs:
clean, fast sound
bass-  punchy, articulate but full
starting to have realistic experiences (not sure if recording or external sound)
treble- still slightly uneven.

---------

So yes, an obvious change. But what exactly that change is (what's happening to what part of the frequency spectrum, that's causing the perceived differences), is difficult to characterise; such as at a particular freq. I can't say that there's a particular difference, even at the freq extremes, such as an extended bandwidth, like other members have mentioned. Maybe there's more treble, but I would have to do swabbing and re-swabbing to know, for sure. So, I'm afraid that my description is only of a limited scope.

What I've found that they do is 2 things:

1. Soundstage: the most obvious difference, for me, was a large increase in breadth of soundstage and space between instruments/performers; what was more centralised (in my head), is now more spread out. The instruments that were playing to one side, but still in-between my ears, have moved more out to the 'phones diaphragm region. And what was a little stuck in the diaphragm area (a weakness of planar 'phones), is now making a more successful effort at breaking into the free space around my head (as opposed to the plentiful, free and unused space, inside of it). This perceived increase in soundstage has occurred with no loss of focus, or solidity, to each instrument/performer; in fact, maybe the opposite; the performers seem to be more defined within the space that they occupy.
This change is the most obvious, and was so, right from the first moment of listening.

2. This is the bit that's hard (for me) to quantify; I feel like I'm only able to say "Err....umm....well,.... i'it just sounds...(cue: nonplussed shaking of head, whilst brain attempts to find concise and informative description).......better.".
I'm used to being able to get a pretty good idea of what aspect(s) of the sound has changed, when swapping bits of equipment. But with these op-amps, all I can really say is that the whole audio spectrum seems to have taken on more focus; the treble is clearer (and maybe more extended), and this phenomenon extends all the way down through the frequency range, into the bass.

I can't, for sure, say that the bass has more extension (goes deeper); sometimes I think so, but other times I think there's less bass. I can only put this down to increased focus; the bass is more accurate than before; maybe, previously unnoticed bass bloat has been reduced. Whilst the bass, that is present, has taken on more articulation and resolution; more character; the characteristics of the instrument that's creating it.

Some have mentioned more body (This is what really piqued my curiosity). Whilst I'm still not getting the fullness, weight and solidity, with my lcd2f, that I desire, vocals, such as Beck's in 'Sea Change', do seem to have more 'throat'. So, I guess that there is more 'body'. And something like Krist Novoselic's big acoustic guitar (in Nirvana Unplugged) does now sound like it's back on the stage, rather than sounding like it's located in another room. Although, it still sounds a little small or distant. And Dave's drum kit (softer 'acoustic' sticks noted) still sounds a bit like a toy. But as I say, this may be more of a reference to my personal preference, and current 'phones, rather than the H10 with the V5S.

To summarise, the V5S does increase all detail resolution and, very noticeably, improve the realism and naturalness of the sound (surely these are quite high up on the list of what high fidelity music reproduction is about). So I think that, even with just 30-40 hours burn-in (Burson recommend 100), the fitting of some Burson V5S's moves the H10 up another category in performance.

What to put in these dual op-amp slots?

Whilst I'm happy with the improvements of the singles, I don't fancy paying twice the price for the fraction of an improvement that the dual op-amps offer (when compared to the singles). I guess that I'll wait and observe the feedback of others who have experimented with the duals vs other good dual op-amp integrated chips.
popcorn.gif

I'll periodically post any updates here. (I'm not sure if there's another change already; I must have hit the 50 hour mark! 
biggrin.gif
)

Well sadly I didn't check to see if I had the correct size keys before buying the V5s so now I have to wait for the keys to arrive later on. You know, I could experiment for you. Since I have both singles and duals I could only install the singles for the first 100hrs then give my impressions. Then I could install the duals and test what the duals add to the whole set up. Sound good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back