GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Nov 9, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #1,276 of 8,801
NOS mode is crisper and better IMHO.

Hibiki. Not well known to people outside of China but an excellent clock. -113db at 1hz-- and only $1,300 including shipping.. I keep the clock on 24/7. I used to own a Mutec Ref10 SE-120 and it does essentially the same thing as the Hibiki- really adds solidity and base to the sound...
Google only finds Hibiki whiskey. 😂

Nov 9, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #1,279 of 8,801
I stream qobuz via ethernet through Bubble UPnP, and also have an Audiolab CD transport. To me there's no difference in the SQ, but since I almost never stream something I have on CD, I haven't done direct A/B testing with the same tracks. Both sound damned good, the qualities of this DAC - spaciousness, staging, separation, and beautiful timbre to name a few, are really reinforced with tubes IMO.
So you don't think I would be losing anything by connecting my dap to it as source? I would have to figure out how to connect my dap to it. Not sure what the best way would be. Right now I'm using my dx300 as source/dac and I'm connecting it using the 4.4mm balanced out to dual xlr on the wa22. I'm not sure how I would connect to an R26.

Nov 9, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #1,280 of 8,801
If an ifi dc blocker doesn't work then it's a poor manufacturer implementation has nothing to do with the user's power at their residence and is not a grounding issue.
Well, there was a guy who made a YT vid about it, who tried a bunch of things, and ended up solving the problem with an ifi Groundhog+. It's odd, because the groundhog is supposed to be for a poorly grounded unit where by putting your hand on the unit, you become the necessary ground. Doing that makes no difference for me, but I still think it could be a ground issue with the transformers. I haven't tried the software patch yet because I don't have a windows computer but will get a hand on my GF's tomorrow and give it a shot. If that doesn't fix it, I'm going to open it up and isolate the source of the hum and take it from there.

Here's the video, it's in the later part, about the 3 minute mark:

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #1,281 of 8,801
Well, there was a guy who made a YT vid about it, who tried a bunch of things, and ended up solving the problem with an ifi Groundhog+. It's odd, because the groundhog is supposed to be for a poorly grounded unit where by putting your hand on the unit, you become the necessary ground. Doing that makes no difference for me, but I still think it could be a ground issue with the transformers. I haven't tried the software patch yet because I don't have a windows computer but will get a hand on my GF's tomorrow and give it a shot. If that doesn't fix it, I'm going to open it up and isolate the source of the hum and take it from there.

Here's the video, it's in the later part, about the 3 minute mark:

It might be a self-induced ground loop inside the unit that is not draining out to the iec inlet if groundhog was the solution...which is bizarre. Because I used groundhog many times and it never was a solution for audible hum coming from the device. It solves ground loop hum and improves drain (less noise that gets in the way of the music signal) from the transducer. It would be interesting if this solves your unit too.

I've had a device I had built and it has a internal 120hz internal ground loop issue (or something else). The unique thing is the hum has ebb and flow quality. We reckon it's a chassis issue despite all boards is floating from it... 🤷‍♂️

Nov 9, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #1,282 of 8,801
The Topping D90 is one of the best measuring and lowest distortion dac's ever made according to audio-science and according to most listeners- it sounds quite bad.

That’s a huge generalization. There were many reviewers and websites that praised the D90. I have it and it sounds superb. Keep in mind that the entire audiophile reviewer revenue stream depends entirely on their audience valuing their subjective opinions over measurements, so there is a strong financial incentive to dismiss and ridicule the measurement crowd. It is hilarious how much more nonsense goes on in audio debates vs. video. Every year, new TV’s come out, and every reviewer picks either the LG or Sony OLED, and that’s that.

Nov 10, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #1,283 of 8,801
That’s a huge generalization. There were many reviewers and websites that praised the D90. I have it and it sounds superb. Keep in mind that the entire audiophile reviewer revenue stream depends entirely on their audience valuing their subjective opinions over measurements, so there is a strong financial incentive to dismiss and ridicule the measurement crowd. It is hilarious how much more nonsense goes on in audio debates vs. video. Every year, new TV’s come out, and every reviewer picks either the LG or Sony OLED, and that’s that.
I appreciate your correction. Let me say it this way. The D90 is one of the best measuring dacs ever made and "many" listeners do not like the way it reproduces sound.

The point however remains the same: Things that technically are better are very very often worse in our subjective minds or "ears", and many components which measure quite terribly, often have many loyal followers; External clocks are one of these examples... and there are so so many others.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #1,284 of 8,801
I appreciate your correction. Let me say it this way. The D90 is one of the best measuring dacs ever made and "many" listeners do not like the way it reproduces sound.

The point however remains the same: Things that technically are better are very very often worse in our subjective minds or "ears", and many components which measure quite terribly, often have many loyal followers; External clocks are one of these examples... and there are so so many others.
Then add expectation bias and placebo into the mix. How many real observations are there left and how many suffer from Audiophilia Nervosa? Some listen to equipment, others listen to music.

Nov 10, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #1,285 of 8,801
Then add expectation bias and placebo into the mix. How many real observations are there left and how many suffer from Audiophilia Nervosa? Some listen to equipment, others listen to music.
I couldn't agree more. The problem here is that the vast vat majority of posts on head-fi are based on bias and placebo effect and we must conclude that we cannot and should not rely on anything we read. If we don't read, we don't find out about new things. If we do read- we get brainwashed if only at a subconscious level.

Nov 10, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #1,286 of 8,801
Although there is placebo and subjectivity, I would suspect that we may still have a measurement problem. Are these measurements comprehensive enough? Do they take into account everything that affects the perception of sound? Maybe the measurements leave something out, which affects our perception of sound.

Nov 10, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #1,287 of 8,801
Although there is placebo and subjectivity, I would suspect that we may still have a measurement problem. Are these measurements comprehensive enough? Do they take into account everything that affects the perception of sound? Maybe the measurements leave something out, which affects our perception of sound.
First you must make blind tests and eliminate expectation bias etc. Only then can there be a discussion about other measurements.
I remember the debate about TIM in the 70s.

Nov 10, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #1,288 of 8,801
This is exactly the claim of the external clock lovers. They claim they are SURE it is a huge improvement and answer the scientists by saying they do not know what to measure for, or are measuring at frequencies that don't cover the totality of the package, etc.....

IMHO after experimenting with a lot of high end equipment, these clocks make a HUGE difference for the positive to my ears- although I admit it could be placebo effect..... I have rejected many pieces of equipment that had broad support. When the yggy dac came out it was universally acclaimed as being something extraordinary. I bought it and never liked it. So if I am brainwashed- there is still a limit...

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #1,289 of 8,801
This is exactly the claim of the external clock lovers. They claim they are SURE it is a huge improvement and answer the scientists by saying they do not know what to measure for, or are measuring at frequencies that don't cover the totality of the package, etc.....

IMHO after experimenting with a lot of high end equipment, these clocks make a HUGE difference for the positive to my ears- although I admit it could be placebo effect..... I have rejected many pieces of equipment that had broad support. When the yggy dac came out it was universally acclaimed as being something extraordinary. I bought it and never liked it. So if I am brainwashed- there is still a limit...
I suggest 7. in Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus should apply :wink:

Nov 10, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #1,290 of 8,801

Count me as one of those who disliked the D90. It was unpleasant for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back