Gundam Model-Fi (Gunpla) (Post Some Pictures!)
May 3, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #31 of 381
Most Gunpla do not require painting. I only paint to replace solid color stickers or just add detail. If you are fine with having stickers, then no paint is needed.

As for Gundam markers, they are paint markers intended for doing touch ups. I use them when fixing trimmed areas on the part itself. Sometimes when clipping parts of the runner, you will get a slight discoloration from the plastic being cut. I sue the markers to touch this up. They are also quite runny so exercise caution when using them. I usually use Mr.Hobby mixing trays and drip some in the tray, then either blush it on with a paint brush or use a tooth pick to apply the paint.

There are also ink based Gundam markers which are either for lining or adding weathering or smudging. I use the Real Touch markers to adding weathering to the bottom of each models foot. I like the worn look they give off.

Quote:
I don't do prime as I don't use Amazon that often. Anyway I have a google Payday soon :) So I'll see what goodies I can get. 

Ok I want a HG or MG. So all I need to buy is an HG or MG that says no paint is required(I hate to do that) and also gundam markers? Which colors? The whole pack or just black if it says no paint is required?

May 3, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #32 of 381
Quote:
Most Gunpla do not require painting. I only paint to replace solid color stickers or just add detail. If you are fine with having stickers, then no paint is needed.

As for Gundam markers, they are paint markers intended for doing touch ups. I use them when fixing trimmed areas on the part itself. Sometimes when clipping parts of the runner, you will get a slight discoloration from the plastic being cut. I sue the markers to touch this up. They are also quite runny so exercise caution when using them. I usually use Mr.Hobby mixing trays and drip some in the tray, then either blush it on with a paint brush or use a tooth pick to apply the paint.

There are also ink based Gundam markers which are either for lining or adding weathering or smudging. I use the Real Touch markers to adding weathering to the bottom of each models foot. I like the worn look they give off.

So if I get a no painit necessary HG model and use stickers, all I need is an exacto knife, eraser and the black touch up marker right?

May 3, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #33 of 381
I would think so, oh and nice nippers would be in order! Xuron side cutters work really good and I recommend them.

Quote:
So if I get a no painit necessary HG model and use stickers, all I need is an exacto knife, eraser and the black touch up marker right?

Also I picked up a new kit today to build. I'm not finished with it yet but here's my Wing Zero Custom EW Ver. I only have the panel lines on the face done and have not shaved away the excess plastic from where I nipped them off their runners. Still lots of work to be done on this kit!

May 12, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #34 of 381
Not to double post but I finished my painting and detailing of RX-78-2 Ver.KA. I made it look weathered and put a clear flat coat of Mr.Hobby paint on it.

May 13, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #35 of 381
I'm a pretty big noob when it comes to gundam models but I am pretty interested. Here's a photo I took of a Heavyarms I bought from megacon this year, 1/100 scale. This was the first one I built in a long time so it's pretty rough with no details. 

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #38 of 381

I have an MG Gundam Hi-Nu. I'm a big Gundam/Gunpla fanatic. Still am wishing to get an MG Unicorn and a PG 00 Raiser.

I get very meticulous when building/sanding nubs on the kits and I take extra care to line-ink them... took me roughly 9 months to get this thing done... providing it was something I did in my leisure time.

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #40 of 381
I prefer quality over quantity (I personally would buy by thinking about the project, not the ends itself). Best part about building a Gunpla is the journey through it, enjoying how everything fits together. Then after that journey, just let it pose there and look at its glory. Its a fun hobby in itself. 
biggrin.gif
 But it never hurts to have many models... I wouldn't mind displaying them here and there in my flat.

Jan 22, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #41 of 381
Wow very nice hi nu... Most people I know seem to prefer the nu over the hi nu for don't reason :p. I would but buy some new kits but then again I recently bought some q701s and a Magni and also kind of want an s400 so that's going to have to wait lol but when that mg tallgeese is actually out/in stock (not really sure) at hlj I might just have to pick it up.

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #42 of 381
I'm reviving this not so old thread, I've gotten into this hobby lately.

This is my first Gundam kit, 1/100 Rx-0 Unicorn Gundam 02 Banshee (Titanuim Finish). It took me about 3 weeks, working on weekends. Not my best, I feel I can do better.

I really liked the shiny Titanium finish, here's the final pic (sorry it was taken in a hurry):

However, I'll have to get a base. Master Grade 1/100s are no easy feat. This thing's very delicate (as I came to know after finishing it), and the arms are heavy, so it can only do some poses in balance. I've already ordered the base, I hope it can do more poses!

Also, the Titanium finish has problems with the nubs after removing the parts from the runners. I can smoothen the nubs, but the surface finish also gets removed unlike regular gundams where the inside plastic is the same color. But its a good kit otherwise.

Overall, happy with my first gundam :)
I'll be building more (next in line is the Sinanju Titanium Finish), I really like the ones from the Unicorn Gundam series!

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #44 of 381
Quote:
I KNEW i forgot to buy something last time. A gundam model kit.

Haha... grab them while you can. The 1/100 MG go out of stock pretty quickly.

Also, I find it really therapeutic, take time off things and spend it on building something awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back