Gundam Model-Fi (Gunpla) (Post Some Pictures!)
Apr 8, 2012 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 381

Zombie_X

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

I wanted to start a thread on Gundam models. I searched and saw there was not one so I decided to start one. 

I am a big fan of Gundam models, so much so that I have four new models coming this week... but no new audio gear.. Most of my models are packed up, but some are out and about. My PG Zaku II is not on display because his chest had been damaged from him tipping over, so he's being repaired now. All my models have some paint and have panels lines done on them.

So the ones I currently have are:
  1. Perfect Grade 1/60 Gundam RX-78-2
  2. Perfect Grade 1/100 MS-06F Zaku II
  3. Master Grade 1/100 Gouf Custom
  4. Master Grade 1/100 Gundam EZ-8
  5. Master Grade 1/100 GM-79
  6. Master Grade 1/100 Gundam MKII (Titans)
  7. Master Grade 1/100 RX-78-5
  8. Master Grade 1/100 Wing Gundam Zero
  9. High Grade 1/100 Deathscythe Hell Custom
  10. High Grade 1/144 Universal Century RX-78-2
  11. High Grade 1/100 Gundam Nataku
  12. High Grade 1/100 Wing Gundam Zero Custom
  13. High Grade 1/144 MS-06F Char's Zaku II
  14. High Grade 1/144 Wing Gundam Zero Custom

The Models I have coming are:
  1. Master Grade 1/100 RX-78-2 Ver.Ka
  2. Master Grade 1/100 Dual Gundam (Assault Shroud)
  3. Master Grade 1/100 RX-78-2 OYW (One Year War)
  4. Mega Size 1/48 RX-78-2

And now for some pictures!

Apr 8, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 381
I wish I have more time to do more kits, I have so many sitting around but I just can't seem to commit the time.

The one I am working on currently is a RG...  take very little effort to build if you don't paint and just do panel lines but still very detailed.

I am in the process of putting decal/touch ups. so many... not done yet... Here it is with a Metal Build Freedom Gundam.

Here is a Zaku i done a while back.

Have a couple of PG sitting around. Just need to commit to working on them.

Just received a RC Nightingale.  Not official but certainly impressive.  Will probably work on that next if ever...

Apr 9, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 381
I would buy one of those Metal Build figures but they are kinda expensive IMO. 

I've been looking at getting a Real Grade RX-78-2 or Char's Zaku II, they look like a mini Perfect Grade model IMO.

Apr 18, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 381
Wow so nice. I've never really tried Gundam but I've done a few scale models in the past. My question is, do you use cement for these? They probably have snap ons too but are most generally done with Cement?

Apr 20, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 381
I got into this 10 years ago in my early teens for a couple years. There was a store in the local mall that was packed with gundam kits and I collected quite a lot. Funny thing was I had never seen a Gundam episode before then. Unfortunately though, over the years they've slowly gone missing and I have no idea what happened to them.

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 381
They just snap together so no model cement is needed. I have another Gundam model by a different brand that is a glue model but it's crappy and I won't finish it..

Quote:
Wow so nice. I've never really tried Gundam but I've done a few scale models in the past. My question is, do you use cement for these? They probably have snap ons too but are most generally done with Cement?

Yeah my first exposure to them was from Gundam Wing, and I remember stores like Wal-Mart and KMart were packed with the Gundam Wing models. Some of my old models have since disappeared but I am re-buying the lost ones.

Quote:
I got into this 10 years ago in my early teens for a couple years. There was a store in the local mall that was packed with gundam kits and I collected quite a lot. Funny thing was I had never seen a Gundam episode before then. Unfortunately though, over the years they've slowly gone missing and I have no idea what happened to them.

And on a side note, I built 5 new models and here's a picture of them :wink: 

Apr 22, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #8 of 381
Depends on what scale and grade you want of the models.

1. There are basic Gundam models which need painting, those are called First Grade. They are 1/144 and 1/100. These only have 1-2 runners of parts, so they are very basic and lack in articulation.
  2. Next are the No Grade models which may require painting. They come in both 1/144 and 1/100 scale. Some need paint while others don't. These will have 2-3 runners of parts and are a tad more complex. 
  3. After that you get the High Grade models which are 1/144, 1/100, and 1/60 scale. They are more detailed than the No Grade models and might require some painting. They also consist of more parts than the No Grades. They normally have around 4 runners of parts.
  4. After HG models (High Grade) come the Master Grade which are a lot more complex and require nearly no painting. The MG models have evolved a lot since 1995 and a lot of the early ones are no better than High Grade models. The more recent MG models as highly detailed and have good articulation. They have anywhere from 5-8 runners of parts.
  5. The MG models have evolved and there are some MG 2.0 kits out there now and are a lot more detailed than their previous versions. 2.0 models have fully articulated fingers, high articulation, and more parts than their normal MG counterparts.
  6. Now the next step is the Perfect Grade models which are 1/6oth scale, so around 1.5ft tall. They are the more detailed and complex of the grades out there and require no painting. They can have anywhere from 10-20 runners of parts, the Freedom Gundam is a good example. The PG models also have light up body parts and have fully articulated.

There are other Grades available such as Real Grade, which is just 1/144 scale MG model. These are new for 2012 and are worth the $30 or so they ask.

Another grade is the Mega Scale models and those are 1/48 scale and are around 2ft in height. These are right around $100 but are the same as HG models, so the articulation is low.

Apr 22, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #9 of 381

Quote:
Depends on what scale and grade you want of the models.

1. There are basic Gundam models which need painting, those are called First Grade. They are 1/144 and 1/100. These only have 1-2 runners of parts, so they are very basic and lack in articulation.
  2. Next are the No Grade models which may require painting. They come in both 1/144 and 1/100 scale. Some need paint while others don't. These will have 2-3 runners of parts and are a tad more complex. 
  3. After that you get the High Grade models which are 1/144, 1/100, and 1/60 scale. They are more detailed than the No Grade models and might require some painting. They also consist of more parts than the No Grades. They normally have around 4 runners of parts.
  4. After HG models (High Grade) come the Master Grade which are a lot more complex and require nearly no painting. The MG models have evolved a lot since 1995 and a lot of the early ones are no better than High Grade models. The more recent MG models as highly detailed and have good articulation. They have anywhere from 5-8 runners of parts.
  5. The MG models have evolved and there are some MG 2.0 kits out there now and are a lot more detailed than their previous versions. 2.0 models have fully articulated fingers, high articulation, and more parts than their normal MG counterparts.
  6. Now the next step is the Perfect Grade models which are 1/6oth scale, so around 1.5ft tall. They are the more detailed and complex of the grades out there and require no painting. They can have anywhere from 10-20 runners of parts, the Freedom Gundam is a good example. The PG models also have light up body parts and have fully articulated.

There are other Grades available such as Real Grade, which is just 1/144 scale MG model. These are new for 2012 and are worth the $30 or so they ask.

Another grade is the Mega Scale models and those are 1/48 scale and are around 2ft in height. These are right around $100 but are the same as HG models, so the articulation is low.

Wow thanks!! What are ....runners? Would it be easy to build? Where can I buy these actually good high quality one's in America?

So CHEAP! I was expecting hundreds...I want one now!

I don't want to paint. Should I just get a MG grade? I can build most things. Would I be able to build it? 

Amazon looks good right?

http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Freedom-Gundam-Real-Grade/dp/B005JABU82/ref=pd_sim_t_3

http://www.amazon.com/Gundam-00-Raiser-Sword-Scale/dp/B002NE792I/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1335136607&sr=8-7

i don't get it? I see stands...so are they on stands or free standing? Or both?

Apr 22, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #10 of 381
Hi,

Runners are the what the parts are molded on. Like a sheet of parts.

Gundam models aren't that expensive, well Perfect Grade models can be hundreds, but most of the time they are around $50 or lower. www.hobbywave.com and http://www.gundamplanet.com are good sites to get models from. I do most of my shopping from them. I would recommend getting a Gundam Lining Marker for detailing your model, as seen here. When detailed with this marker, your models will look a lot better.

MG's are nice because of how detailed they are and how much you can pose them, plus they don't need a lot of paint. I highly recommend the MG models over HG. Plus newer MG models are a lot more articulated and can be used with Bandai's Action Base, which is used for posing in the air. That is the stand you see in the picture of the Freedom Gundam.

MG's aren't hard at all. They just snap together without glue. They can take about 4-5 hours to build in one sitting though. MG's are a nice challenge and are about 7 inches tall once completed. 1/144  models are about 3-4" tall.

I own the 1/144 00 Raiser Gundam that you linked and it's a cool kit for sure. I picked it up today but have not finished it yet. Let me snap a picture of it for ya.

Quote:
Wow thanks!! What are ....runners? Would it be easy to build? Where can I buy these actually good high quality one's in America?

So CHEAP! I was expecting hundreds...I want one now!

I don't want to paint. Should I just get a MG grade? I can build most things. Would I be able to build it? 

Amazon looks good right?

http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Freedom-Gundam-Real-Grade/dp/B005JABU82/ref=pd_sim_t_3

http://www.amazon.com/Gundam-00-Raiser-Sword-Scale/dp/B002NE792I/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1335136607&sr=8-7

i don't get it? I see stands...so are they on stands or free standing? Or both?

Apr 22, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #11 of 381

Quote:
Hi,

Runners are the what the parts are molded on. Like a sheet of parts.

Gundam models aren't that expensive, well Perfect Grade models can be hundreds, but most of the time they are around $50 or lower. www.hobbywave.com and http://www.gundamplanet.com are good sites to get models from. I do most of my shopping from them. I would recommend getting a Gundam Lining Marker for detailing your model, as seen here. When detailed with this marker, your models will look a lot better.

MG's are nice because of how detailed they are and how much you can pose them, plus they don't need a lot of paint. I highly recommend the MG models over HG. Plus newer MG models are a lot more articulated and can be used with Bandai's Action Base, which is used for posing in the air. That is the stand you see in the picture of the Freedom Gundam.

MG's aren't hard at all. They just snap together without glue. They can take about 4-5 hours to build in one sitting though. MG's are a nice challenge and are about 7 inches tall once completed. 1/144  models are about 3-4" tall.

Thank you! I have seen some video's on youtube to desrbie me some stuff and the markers were indeed mentioned :)

MG's are fine for a total newb like me as well right?

How do I know where to apply the colors froom the GundamMarkers and the black line stuff?

Are the one's sold on Amazon good enough?(as in real?)

Apr 22, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #12 of 381
Hi,

Sure MG models are perfectly fine for a newb :wink:. They aren't that hard at all, just time consuming. 

Gundam models usually have deep channels on parts for drawing panel lines. In the picture below you will see that my RX-78-2 O.Y.W Master Grade model has all the lining done, while the 00 Raiser does not.

The ones on Amazon are fine. I've bought a few from there in the past.

Oh and my 00 Raiser's color may look bland or dull, but it's the limited "Designers Color" variation of the kit, got it today for $30 at Greenfield News and Hobby.

Quote:
Thank you! I have seen some video's on youtube to desrbie me some stuff and the markers were indeed mentioned :)

MG's are fine for a total newb like me as well right?

How do I know where to apply the colors froom the GundamMarkers and the black line stuff?

Are the one's sold on Amazon good enough?(as in real?)

Apr 22, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #13 of 381

Quote:
Hi,

Sure MG models are perfectly fine for a newb :wink:. They aren't that hard at all, just time consuming. 

Gundam models usually have deep channels on parts for drawing panel lines. In the picture below you will see that my RX-78-2 O.Y.W Master Grade model has all the lining done, while the 00 Raiser does not.

The ones on Amazon are fine. I've bought a few from there in the past.

Oh and my 00 Raiser's color may look bland or dull, but it's the limited "Designers Color" variation of the kit, got it today for $30 at Greenfield News and Hobby.

What scale size is the detailed one? I want one that big :) I'll pose it with my headphone's :)

Wow!! I reallyy want one now >_<

Apr 22, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #14 of 381
That's a 1/100 Master Grade. It's about 7" tall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back