Gun-Fi
Jan 12, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #1,516 of 1,730
Here are some pics of my Ed Brown Molon Labe:

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #1,518 of 1,730
Ha!

I had no idea there was a firearm thread 'round here.
eek.gif

I'll toss up a couple pics:

ph34r.gif

Jan 12, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #1,519 of 1,730
Quote:

Gonna have a gun smith thread the barrel and put a muzzle brake on it. Someday when I move to a free state I'll get my suppressor.

Looks like a Remington 700 in a McMillan Stock? I don't recognize the optics...Springfield maybe? 

What caliber? I used to shoot a similar rig in .308 for 300 and 600 meter competition. Had a custom barrel on it though, and most competitions were iron sites (had an anschutz peep site on the back). 

edit: or I could just click through to the flickr page and get all my questions answered. :D Do you shoot for fun, or since this is the tactical model - for work?

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #1,521 of 1,730
So I opened up a box of the Winchester 9mm NATO stuff and wow.. the brass was visibly very dirty, and some of the bullets/copper were dark brown and discolored. I've heard that Winchester stuff is dirty, but I always thought that it was in regards to the powder/residue after shooting, not the brass itself.. is the out of the ordinary or typical?

Here's the stuff I normally shoot (Federal 115gr range/target):

Here's the "new" stuff (Winchester 124gr NATO):

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #1,522 of 1,730
Is it just discolored, or is that actual grit on the brass? 

If just discoloration - it shouldn't make any difference. They may be using a lower grade of brass for the NATO stuff than they do for domestic market retail (recycled vs. virgin brass). With that said, I've not shot much winchester ammo (with the exception of their .308 Supreme Silvertip, which is a different ball of wax). I usually liked Federal handgun ammunition.

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #1,523 of 1,730
The stuff at the top of the brass on the right 2 rounds is actually caked on. The darkness on the other rounds is just discoloration. I'm new to shooting so maybe this is normal for "NATO" spec rounds? Either way, it was very surprising to me..

Also I figured that perhaps they use recycled brass, but what about the darkness on the bullet? If it's just cosmetic that's fine by me, I just want to make sure that it's safe for my gun and will go boom when I pull the trigger..

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #1,524 of 1,730
It's not recycled or reloaded brass.  It's just not polished.  Polishing brass adds cost.  Costs that, to a military, aren't acceptable.  Ammo intended for use by the military is never polished, whether it be Federal Lake City or Winchester or whatever.   What you have is ammo intended for the military and sold to the consumer market as ovverrun.  It gets to the point that you'll occasionally find a round of Lake City 5.56 that is dented.

Consumer ammo, on the other hand, is polished.  If it weren't pretty much everyone would have had the same reaction as you.

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #1,525 of 1,730
Just got off of Facebook.  Here in Arkansas, on Facebook, gun trading and selling groups have sprung up like crazy.  You would not believe the prices people are getting right now.  Steel cased 5.56 is going for over a dollar around.  P-Mags are up to $60.00.  Cheapa$$ ARs that were $700 last month are hitting $2000 and selling.  There is a guy trying to trade a 1999 4X4 Tahoe for an AR.  The craziet thing I have seen is Ruger BX-25 magazines elling for $100. Gad I did a lot of buying this year and don't need anything at the moment.  I bought a Loki LWFS machined billet Patrol rifle in March for less than a DPMS Sporter is selling for right now.  Crazy times

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #1,526 of 1,730
Quote:
So I opened up a box of the Winchester 9mm NATO stuff and wow.. the brass was visibly very dirty, and some of the bullets/copper were dark brown and discolored. I've heard that Winchester stuff is dirty, but I always thought that it was in regards to the powder/residue after shooting, not the brass itself.. is the out of the ordinary or typical?

Here's the stuff I normally shoot (Federal 115gr range/target):

Here's the "new" stuff (Winchester 124gr NATO):

Be careful what you shoot the Nato rounds out of.  They are comparable to the +P rounds.  You don't even want to shoot them out of a High Power.

Jan 14, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #1,527 of 1,730
Quote:
It's not recycled or reloaded brass.  It's just not polished.  Polishing brass adds cost.  Costs that, to a military, aren't acceptable.  Ammo intended for use by the military is never polished, whether it be Federal Lake City or Winchester or whatever.   What you have is ammo intended for the military and sold to the consumer market as ovverrun.  It gets to the point that you'll occasionally find a round of Lake City 5.56 that is dented.

Consumer ammo, on the other hand, is polished.  If it weren't pretty much everyone would have had the same reaction as you.

Thanks for the info. It sure was surprising after coming from pretty/shiny/polished consumer ammo!

Quote:
Be careful what you shoot the Nato rounds out of.  They are comparable to the +P rounds.  You don't even want to shoot them out of a High Power.

My M&P can shoot +P so I think I'll be OK. From my limited knowledge and research, it seems like 9mm NATO falls between regular 9mm Luger and +P.

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #1,528 of 1,730
I'm looking at an Apex tactical trigger for my M&P9. My son and I both have the range kits. When we go to the range, the loser has to buy lunch or supper.I have bought 6 times and him 3.
Of course I won't tell him I installed it, but will this give me an edge?

P.S. I bought him the kit, and he makes about 2X what I do.(so I feel I'm not really cheating)

Cheers

Jan 20, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #1,529 of 1,730
I'm looking to get some gear for low/no light situations for my HD pistol (will also be my carry pistol if/when IL ever comes up with a CCW permit):

- Tritium night sights
- Rail mounted laser
- Rail mounted light
- Rail mounted laser + light

I'm 99% sure I'll go with night sights first, but what are your thoughts about lasers and lights for pistols? I was going to get just night sights and call it a day, but my GF (whom I "share" the pistol with) asked me to get a laser instead. I'm not really sold on the idea since I fear that it will cause her (or me) to become lazy. So I guess, what would you guys recommend? night sights + laser, night sights + light, night sights + laser/light, night sights only?

Jan 21, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #1,530 of 1,730
Well, night sights won't do you any good if you can't see what you're aiming at.  A good light, however, can provide enough illumination that you can see your sights, tritium or not.

There are also two schools of thought regarding lights on pistols.  One side is that a "hostile" will shoot at lights and you're always behind your weapon light.  The other side is that a weapon light allows better control of the weapon.  If you go with a good handheld light (you want something bright enough to be blinding), you'll need night sights.  If you go with a good weapon light, you might not need night sights.

This is my nightstand gun:

SIG 226 SCT, 9mm, TLR-1, SigLite rear, TruGlo TFO front, loaded 20+1 with 124grn +P Gold Dots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back