Gun-Fi
Sep 12, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #661 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wonder why the 30-round mag is full of tracers ?
confused_face(1).gif

I'm not sure that those are tracers. They look like poly-tip expanding bullets to me. Somthing like Nosler Ballistic tips.

Sep 12, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #662 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure that those are tracers. They look like poly-tip expanding bullets to me. Somthing like Nosler Ballistic tips.

Plastic tipped bullets can be had in everything from hard-as-woodpecker-lips virtual FMJs to varmint bullets that won't make it through both sides of a full can of pop (of course there aint no can left either
wink_face.gif
). I load molyed 60 grain V-max in my "social" .223Rem.

Sep 12, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #663 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You're probably right. The picture color gamut makes me think of the M196 rounds.
icon10.gif

Sep 12, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #664 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Better than nothing, and I was shocked that the price tag was close to $900 (like, $875). Thought it would be more around the $500-$700 guesstimate.

That's pretty damn high. Maybe a huge markup for the store. I've seen them for less in the stores near me.

Sep 14, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #667 of 1,730
you guys are so lucky, in au we dont get to collect guns!

Sep 14, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #668 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a NAA .32 Seecamp clone. My wife just got her CCW and I wanted to know if there are any newer small Seecamp type pistols on the market now?

Seacamp-type pistols may be cute as a bug's ear, but they have several basic practical problems. May we first agree that most purchasers of these dinky pistols are doing so for self-defense? One, they are not as reliable as a Seacamp, which was not the epitome of reliability itself. No semi-automatic pistol should be deemed individually reliable until it's had at least 200 rounds through it.

I pinch my fingers enough reloading 9mm to know that reloading .25ACP, .32ACP, and .380ACP would be absolutely no fun, and factory loads in these are $20USD+ per fifty rounds. So most owners of these dinky guns do not get enough practice or demonstrate their pistol's reliability enough to warrant carrying it. And a back-up gun by definition should be almost more reliable than a primary pistol as it is to be used only after the start of a cluster coital event.

Two, pistols of this class do not provide enough grip and sight radius to provide reliable practical accuracy. If practical fire power is bullets actually striking bodies in vital areas, then practical accuracy has to be part of the equation. This line for me is my ability to shoot consistent headshots with a pistol at twenty yards under stressfree conditions employing the same ammunition as will be carried in the gun.

Three, .32ACP is below the minimum for a reliable self-defense pistol caliber. Sure, it's better than nothing, but the principal role of a self defense handgun is to stop a determined attacker with one or two vital hits. For me .35 caliber handguns with short barrels represent the minimum acceptable self defense power level. And I would always rather have a .45ACP.

So in this class of small handgun, I kind of like my Kahr PM9 (9mm Para) or my old S&W Model 38 alloy frame Bodyguard (.38Spl). For me, with the right ammunition they satisfy all of the requirements outlined above. And as I load both calibers, I make a point of practicing with both regularly.

Sep 14, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #669 of 1,730
Old Pa, a very well written response. The Kahr is a very reliable and well made piece.

Personally I always suggest that an S&W 640 is a fantastic carry piece. Not only do you get the inherent reliability of a DAO in a caliber for which there are many loads to choose but you also have a piece which should not snag much. The 640 is sturdy enough for 38 spl in +P loads.

Note: besides practicing make sure you use a grip that allows for good control. In other words the ultra small ones are not the best.

Sep 14, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #670 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Note: besides practicing make sure you use a grip that allows for good control. In other words the ultra small ones are not the best.

Good point. My old S&W 38 has Pachmayr Compact Grippers on its cute little round butt.
wink_face.gif

BTW, as far as I'm concerned between caving to the Clinton Justice department and incorporating the internal "kiddie lock", S&W no longer makes revolvers.

The Kahr works well for me just the way it is.

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #671 of 1,730
after 2 weeks of waiting the big brown truck brings the long brown box

Turkish model 1903

purchased from century auctions for $101
century import (if you didn't guess considering where i bought it)
updated to 7.92x57 in 1935

1935_Turk_1903.jpg

more pics

Sep 17, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #673 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's my girl!

I hope and pray my daughters (when I have them) will be able to do that...

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:18 AM Post #674 of 1,730
Yee hawww!!! My two Tromix SBS just came in. 2 guns, both 12 gauge, both with 8" barrels, one has a set of XS night sights, the other has an EOTech 512 on it. Now, just have to wait for the Feds to approve the Form 4 so they can some home with me...
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #675 of 1,730
Any of you gun owners ever wander what may happen if you have to use your gun in self defense of your home?

I think this is what is keeping me from purchasing. I am afraid that if I ever have to use it in self defense, that I may be prosecuted; even if I am in the right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back