Gun-Fi
Jul 14, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #616 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm lusting for one of these.

Sig X5 L1

1215829579.jpg

That Sig X5 L1 is gorgeous! What caliber is that?

Jul 14, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #617 of 1,730
"That Sig X5 L1 is gorgeous! What caliber is that?"

It comes in .40 and 9mm. I've off'd everything but 9mm and .357 Sig- P229 Sport. So would probably get it in 9mm with 19 rounds of love to share.

It's supposed to shoot 1 inch groups at 25 yards if you're capable of shooting that well.

Mitch

Jul 19, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #618 of 1,730
I'm curious Mitch, do you find a big difference between shooting the plastic and steel framed hand guns? Doesn't really faze me after shooting my .44 Magnum.

Aug 10, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #622 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking to get a precision rifle, with more tactical flavor, not for match. What's your opinion on these:

Have you looked at anything from H. S. Precision? They make some very well thought of rifles. I myself am rather enamored of the Remington 700. It's a well developed rifle with excellent accuracy out of the box. There are also a lot of custom and precision components available for the Model 700 and they are fairly straight forward to work on. I assume you know of Brownells in Iowa. I've been very happy with the Leupold LRT scopes; my .308Win wears a 4.5-14x50mm LRT.

Aug 10, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #625 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always wanted one but never get to shoot any distance worthy of it.

At Gunsite a couple of years ago, I was able to engage a reduced steel sillouette successfully at what mil-dotted out to be 1240 yards with my Model 700 in .308Win using a 175 grain Sierra MatchKing. In June of this year, using another Model 700 in .243 Ackley Improved, I was able to fly some 70 grain Sierra BlitzKings into some unsuspecting prairie dogs between 750 and 800 yards away. Long range shooting has its particular satisfactions. BTW, nice pistol.

Aug 10, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #626 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you looked at anything from H. S. Precision? They make some very well thought of rifles. I myself am rather enamored of the Remington 700. It's a well developed rifle with excellent accuracy out of the box. There are also a lot of custom and precision components available for the Model 700 and they are fairly straight forward to work on. I assume you know of Brownells in Iowa. I've been very happy with the Leupold LRT scopes; my .308Win wears a 4.5-14x50mm LRT.

My only requirements are .308 calibar and Remington 700 based.

I will check out H.S.Precision.

---

I have never owned a rifle before. So my thinking is either buy something cheap like stock 700 Police, get experience then go high-end. Or just save the husstle go straight to the top.
wink.gif
I can go either way, I just have no idea what to expect. I want advice and opinions from you.

Aug 10, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #627 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. You aren't playing around. Is your optics budget as grandiose?

What's the longest range you shoot?

I've seen lots of praise for these guys as well:
Home - Surgeon Rifles

The only outdoor ranges around have, I believe 100Yard at the most. So that's probably the most I will practice with. But I don't want to be limited by that, 200 or 300 Yard will be my theoretical limit.

Optics wise, I want the absolute the best. Large field of view, easy on the eye, clear and convenient. Leupold or Night Vision are some brand I heard.

Aug 10, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #628 of 1,730
Quote:

The only outdoor ranges around have, I believe 100Yard at the most. So that's probably the most I will practice with. But I don't want to be limited by that, 200 or 300 Yard will be my theoretical limit.

Optics wise, I want the absolute the best. Large field of view, easy on the eye, clear and convenient. Leupold or Night Vision are some brand I heard.

At 300 yards .308 is over kill, but who cares. That's what I use to plink in the same range.
icon10.gif
Conversely, those rifles would really be a waste at those ranges, though I'd take one if you bought two.

Since your budget is healthy, I don't see a reason not to go as high end on the scope as you like. My choice would be U.S Opitcs for the scope. Just like camera equipment, you can keep your high end glass while you upgraded riles to meet your needs.

Is your objective to put the smallest group of holes in paper possible?

For a "starter rifle" (for many this would be an "ending" rife), I get an accurized 700 LTR for those ranges:
Remington 700 LTR 308 Accurized

Actually, I don't even think you'd need one Accurized, but it's and option.

With Badger Ordnance rings and base:
Badger Ordnance | Premium Firearms Accessories

Your choices are pretty much endless.

Aug 10, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #629 of 1,730
Quote:

My only requirements are .308 calibar and Remington 700 based.

I will check out H.S.Precision.

The H. S. short action takes the same bases as Remington 700 short actions; have your gunsmith increase the mounting screw size by one on the bases. I would recommend the same thing I did; get a Remington 700VS in .308Win, put some good glass in very solid four-screw rings on it, upgrade the trigger to a Timney or similar and go from there. I really like a Vais compensator. The Brownell's catalogue is one hell of a dream book for 1911/AR/Remington. Get a copy soon.

Aug 14, 2008 at 10:02 AM Post #630 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've seen lots of praise for these guys as well:
Home - Surgeon Rifles

the Surgeon Rifle look very impressive.

Their stock .308 rifle only has 20" barrel and look kinda funny and like a toy. Isn't it a little to short? seems 24" or 26" are more popular, and more accurate????
Surgeon_stock_308.jpg

Can you tell the barrel length of this one from Surgeon's website gallery? the longer barrel Looks much better --- more balanced
smily_headphones1.gif
seems at least 24". if it's .308 I'd buy it.

GAP_-_09.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back