Gun-Fi
Jul 1, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #391 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Old Pa- where do you think the third round out of the fouled barrel would have gone? Would it stabilize near the second?

In my experience, once the barrel has been fouled the remaining shots go to the second round impact group like my .308Win five round "confidence builder group". I try to clean every 10 rounds with jacketed bullets unless they are moly coated and then I clean every hundred. Love that moly.

Most things I do go better if I 1) keep an open mind, 2) learn a little something about the topic, and 3) get organized. Although you would not know it if you saw my office or the adjoining "quartermaster's room".

Jul 11, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #392 of 1,730

biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #394 of 1,730
Well I got the gun in today for my next project. I am doing a SBR on a Robinson Arms XCR platform. I have the NFA paperwork in for the 12" .223 and 12" 6.8 setup for the rifle. I am really appreciating the quick change caliber aspect of the rifle. The piston operated rifle has four levels of adjustment to tweak gas pressure and in turn recoil and brass chunking distance. Very nice shooting gun and in my opinion better balanced than the Sig Sauer 556 rifle.

Here is the stock gun and I will hopefully be able to post pictures of the SBR in the next month or two.

RobinsonXCR.jpg

RobinsonXCR2.jpg

Jul 14, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #395 of 1,730
Speaking of which, has anyone ever fired a Dragunov SVD sniper's rifle? I've heard that while it's a good rifle, the the use of semi-automatic action and the fact most SVD's are fired with the 7.62mm x 54R cartridge used on the old Mosin-Nagant M1891/30 rifle makes the SVD not accurate beyond circa 500 meters range.

Jul 14, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #396 of 1,730
they are accurate... but you must choose your ammo wisely... the 7N1 ammo was made for the SVD the only soviet semi-auto sniper that had any major accuracy issues was the SVT-40 snipers which were not well recieved by snipers for their noisy actions and 2nd shot accuracy problems

Jul 15, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #398 of 1,730
I shot some different stuff today. I fired a 12 gauge for the first time (recoil was much less than I was anticipating), did some clay pigeon shooting (I actually hit a few!), shot a 10mm handgun, and a 22 cal assault rifle. I want to get a rifle now, something I can mount a scope on and do some target shooting. Preferably something small caliber and reasonably priced (rifle & ammo). Any recommendations?

Edit: and I live in California, so it has to be legal here.

A friend has recommended a Ruger Mini-14 Target in .223 or a Walther G22.

Jul 15, 2007 at 3:09 PM Post #399 of 1,730
well you will definately want to stay away from the rifle project i have lined up (the kind of project that will probably be finished 5 minutes before i die of old age) it's not small caliber and scoping one would not only be pointless... but blasphemy

still alot of cleaning to be done to determine if it's worth it to even consider building a complete rifle or if i should just use it for bottle rockets

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

Jul 15, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #400 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they are accurate... but you must choose your ammo wisely... the 7N1 ammo was made for the SVD the only soviet semi-auto sniper that had any major accuracy issues was the SVT-40 snipers which were not well recieved by snipers for their noisy actions and 2nd shot accuracy problems

However, there were some issues with the 7N1 and 7N14 bullets, which had somewhat iffy ballistics and penetration power at 1000 meters range. (It didn't help that that 7N1 and 7N14 bullets were rarely exported.) The SVT-40 Tokarev was much-disliked because of the accuracy problems you mentioned, and as a result most Patriotic War snipers preferred the far more accurate Mosin-Nogant M91/30 bolt-action rifle.

Jul 15, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #401 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to get a rifle now, something I can mount a scope on and do some target shooting. Preferably something small caliber and reasonably priced (rifle & ammo). Any recommendations?

Sako Tikka T3 in .223Rem with a nice 4.5-14x40mm Leupold 1" Vari-X III scope in the rings supplied with the Tikka. There's a pix of my left handed stainless Tikka back in this thread. Very reasonably priced and accurate rifle and ammo. Scope is a little spendy, but well worth it. You can't go wrong.

Jul 15, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #402 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I shot some different stuff today. I fired a 12 gauge for the first time (recoil was much less than I was anticipating), did some clay pigeon shooting (I actually hit a few!), shot a 10mm handgun, and a 22 cal assault rifle. I want to get a rifle now, something I can mount a scope on and do some target shooting. Preferably something small caliber and reasonably priced (rifle & ammo). Any recommendations?

Edit: and I live in California, so it has to be legal here.

A friend has recommended a Ruger Mini-14 Target in .223 or a Walther G22.

I've never heard that great of things about the Mini-14's. Don't make the assumption that because they look like a M14 that their action is based upon the M14.

Jul 16, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #403 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never heard that great of things about the Mini-14's. Don't make the assumption that because they look like a M14 that their action is based upon the M14.

Well, the new Ruger Mini-14 Targets are supposed to be pretty good guns and reasonably accurate to boot. Almost as good as a baseline AR-15, albeit at greater cost. Throw in the fact that AuroraProject can't exactly get a standard configuration AR unless he's going to the off list lower route, and the Mini-14 Target doesn't look half bad.

I'd skip on the G22 though. Ruger's 10-22 is a superior .22 autoloading rifle with much better market support.

Jul 16, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #404 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well now I guess I've gotta say something. As a ex-Mini-14 owner, there used to be only two problems with them; they were not accurate (ie. 5" guns) and they broke. Now I hear they are more accurate (ie. 2 inch guns) since Ruger jobbed out the barrels, but they still break. Mini-14s are also not well supported in the aftermarket, whereas ARs are very well supported in the aftermarket. Still, for a relatively inexpensive target rifle in Kalifornia, semi-autos might have some problems altogether. I think the Tikka is the way to go.

Jul 16, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #405 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well now I guess I've gotta say something. As a ex-Mini-14 owner, there used to be only two problems with them; they were not accurate (ie. 5" guns) and they broke. Now I hear they are more accurate (ie. 2 inch guns) since Ruger jobbed out the barrels, but they still break. Mini-14s are also not well supported in the aftermarket, whereas ARs are very well supported in the aftermarket. Still, for a relatively inexpensive target rifle in Kalifornia, semi-autos might have some problems altogether. I think the Tikka is the way to go.

That's what I kept hearing about them, that they weren't very rugged. But I haven't heard any talk about the newer models.

Hey! CMP is going to be selling M1 Garand stocks and there's going to be a new CMP Select Grade. Damn I wish I still had my M1. Maybe I'll make a trip out to Perry and take a look at the new offerings in the fall when the M1's are available again.

EDIT: The CMP select grade has refinished USGI reciever and metal, but a new production barrel and stock. That looks very enticing, but I wonder if they're hitting the bottom of the arsenals if they're selling spare receivers and parts in this manner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back