Gun-Fi
May 6, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #1,576 of 1,730
Gotta completely disagree even more with what you're saying.

But first, as a show of good faith, here's a little trinket the NSCA sent me for my "accomplishments" in Sporting Clays:

I've shot a lot of sporting clays for a lot of years all over the US and in foreign countries.

I'd be very careful using a pronoun like "everyone" when talking about equipment and techniques.  And I'd also be careful suggesting to people over the internet what they might try while having no idea of their level of experience.  I'll tell you a few stories.

I go to Argentina for dove hunting pretty much every year (I'm skipping this year as I'm not comfortable with the socio-economic situation there right now).  Well, a few years ago, I noticed at the end of the second day that the bead was missing.  I have no idea when that happened and I had shot somewhere around 1300 (yes, 1300) shells that day.  If I look at the bead, surely, I would have noticed that it had gone missing at some point during the day?  I then shot three more days without beads and my hit % didn't suffer at all.  I never bothered replacing the front bead on that gun; it's still missing today.  I've also gone on two more trips with that gun to Argentina.  So 2.5 trips (5 days each) plus shooting the gun here, I bet there are 15,000 shells through that gun with no beads and I don't notice it.

Last year, I went to the US Open at Caribou.  I shot 600 targets in 5 days.  I got home, was cleaning my gun and again, noticed that the front bead was missing.  Again, no idea when it was lost.  It could have been on the first day for all I know.  And I won punches during the shoot, too, so my score certainly didn't suffer.  Again, if I spent any time at all looking at the bead, surely, I would have noticed that it was gone before I got home?  This bead has been replaced as it's a nice gun and it looks a bid stupid with a hole in the rib where the bead should be (more on this later).

Also last year, I bought a new Browning pump gun to have some fun with.  A friend asked me what kind of bead it had (he was worried that it had Browning's typical POS glo-worm).  I had no idea.  I had to pull the gun out and look at it to tell him what kind of bead it had.  And, finally, again, if I must be looking at the bead while shooting, surely, I would know what kind of bead was on the gun?

Now, let's take a look at some truly top flight shooters (which I certainly am not).  Dan Carlisle, a perennial All-American, Olympic medalist, and NSCA hall of famer shoots without beads.  He's also one of the most highly regarded instructors in the country and he suggests to all his students that they remove the beads from their gun.  At the very least, he takes a sharpie to them and blacks them out to make them less visible.  Richard Faulds, who just won the World English Sporting championship a couple weeks ago, is a multiple World FITASC winner plus Olympic gold medalist, shoots without beads  John Woolley, also one of the top instructors in the country and one of the best veteran shooters in the world, shoots without a bead.  If you walk around any big sporting clays shoot and look at guns, you'll see a very high number with the beads removed.  Surely if everyone looks at the bead and it factors into the things that everyone must see, there would be no way to shoot at such a high level as to win World Championships, Olympic Medals, or whatever prizes the NSCA might offer. 

I'm lucky enough that I've been able to order a few high-end custom guns (there'a  picture of at least one of them in this thread and you can see my avatar).  I always order them without a mid bead and what the company normally uses as a mid bead installed at the muzzle.  The only reason I have any bead installed is to have a "tooth" for leaning the gun up against stuff.  Otherwise, I would go beadless.  The bead isn't there to be looked at.  It's there because it's an anachronism from a former time when shooting wasn't quite as evolved as it is now.  I don't mean to be disparaging but I spend a lot of time shooting sporting clays with a lot of very good shooters and I don't know a single one of them who will tell you to look at the bead or that it plays any importance in shooting.  If you look at the bead while shooting, you will miss the bird.  End of story.  If you go to any serious clay shooting forum, you'll hear this same theme repeated over and over again as well.

And, as for your statement "if accuracy wasn't a factor everyone would hit 100% and clay shooting sports wouldn't exist,"  it's the shooter that breaks the target, not the gun.  Shooting competitions are a test of human skill, not equipment.  The inherent "accuracy" of a shotgun plays no role in whether or not the target breaks.  The shooter has to point it in the right place.  And the best way to do this is to have a minimal amount of distractions, including things like big, giant, glo-worm beads.

Oct 31, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #1,580 of 1,730
Sharing some of my 1st passion.... 

Les Baer Ultimate Master 1.5

Jim Hoag 6inch

Sig 510 AMT

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #1,581 of 1,730
Right now:

Knights Armament SR-15E3 16" URXII on a Rock River milled lower. I will say that while Knights is nice, a well built rifle with a mil-spec bolt carrier group and barrel could stack up to it.

I got some Hornady hollowpoints for home defense, and I regularly shoot green penetrator tip.

I have a history of match shooting but I'm getting fat dudes.. gotta get fit before I get back into it. The high round count is a nice way to get broke though :/

Nov 2, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #1,583 of 1,730

Now this is a nice gun damn...what a piece just how i like them great taste dude!! :)

Thanks! 
beerchug.gif

Nov 7, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #1,585 of 1,730
Thanks!

That one is a 20 rounder (which I have mostly). There are also 5 (got 1) and 10 rounders but are hard to find. 

Nov 13, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #1,586 of 1,730
Alright, I'm going to officially join gun-fi soon. I've been shooting for a while, but I just use my dad's guns and don't have any of my own yet. Tonight I placed my first order for gun parts that I will use to make my first gun. I'll wait for the Black Friday sales for the other parts, but Midway had a sale just now for first time customers so I jumped on it. Anyway, I'm planning to do an AR-15 build and go balls to the walls with the components. I've learned from all my other hobbies to buy quality and cry once. I'll be sure to post pics when I'm done, but it looks like it might take a few months to build it due to many receivers and barrels being out of stock at the moment.

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #1,587 of 1,730
I am only 20 at the moment and live in Minnesota.. When I turn 21 I plan to get my carry permit (in Minnesota it is not required that you conceal the weapon, although I will anyway for a multitude of reasons) But my mom said it was a great idea and when she kept pestering me about my christmas list I told her maybe Ill put a gun on it.

She said "You wouldnt even know what kind of gun you would want" ... "Smith and Wesson SD9VE"... From all of my research it is a great gun for the money (sub 400 dollars) I figured the 9mm would be a better option than the .40 cal.. Less recoil for a beginner as well as the ammo is more affordable.. no reason buying a gun you cant afford to shoot.. Plus great mag accuracy, 16+1 standard. (minnesota as far as I know doesnt have law restricting mag size) 

And while it is not the most attractive gun (nothing compares to a nice 1911) it is certainly not the ugliest

Dec 21, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #1,588 of 1,730
  I am only 20 at the moment and live in Minnesota.. When I turn 21 I plan to get my carry permit (in Minnesota it is not required that you conceal the weapon, although I will anyway for a multitude of reasons) But my mom said it was a great idea and when she kept pestering me about my christmas list I told her maybe Ill put a gun on it.

She said "You wouldnt even know what kind of gun you would want" ... "Smith and Wesson SD9VE"... From all of my research it is a great gun for the money (sub 400 dollars) I figured the 9mm would be a better option than the .40 cal.. Less recoil for a beginner as well as the ammo is more affordable.. no reason buying a gun you cant afford to shoot.. Plus great mag accuracy, 16+1 standard. (minnesota as far as I know doesnt have law restricting mag size) 

And while it is not the most attractive gun (nothing compares to a nice 1911) it is certainly not the ugliest

Go .40 Short&Weak; you can handle it and it's a more effective round.  
smile.gif

Dec 21, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #1,589 of 1,730

Thanks for the reply. I'd actually thought about trying a buck shot load or two first and then slugs in case the first few didn't do the trick, but I wasn't sure how feasible that was. I might do that then.

As for semi-automatic reliability, do you think the manufacture quality of the shotgun can mitigate the need for extensive break-in, or is that just a fact of life with an autoloader? Would something only fairly mildly outside my intended budget such as an FN be trustworthy with a smaller amount of test fires?

I've been running a number of  Benelli M-1s in both 12ga and 20ga for the last decade and they have worked flawlessly since new.  BTW, any semi-auto's function is dependent on the quality and reliability of its ammunition.  With a 12ga you have lots of ammunition options.  And there should also be grouse in the UP.  
smile.gif

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #1,590 of 1,730
Very cool thread, there are some nice firearms out there.  I won't have any pictures until I return home from my deployment, but I have a ccw and the following:

Walther PK380
Sig P250 compact 9mm
Sig P250 compact .40 S&W
Sig M400 w/ Nikon M-223 2-8x scope
Remington 700 .243
Remington 11-87 12ga

Have also owned, but sold:
Bersa Thunder .380
Glock G23 Gen 3

Mostly daily carry my PK380, with an Microtech Ultratech OTF auto knife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back