Gumstick/C30/Rocoo-A & This. . .
Dec 16, 2010 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Lex

100+ Head-Fier
Found this in a department store near where I live:

It is a "Silver HT Executive 4GB" Priced at 40€

A few points:

It is identified as a Rockchip player by Windows.
It has the same form factor as the C30/gumstick et al.
Packaging is almost identical to Cube.
Appears to be marketed to Spanish speaking countries.
Has MS PlayFX as well custom EQ.
It sounds very good indeed. Powerful, lively, full. Outclasses the Clip+ in every way.
It's LOUD!!

Thought I'd share as I hadn't heard anything about this particular variant on the theme.

Dec 16, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 4
Yeah, looks quite similar! I'm actually surprised though, how different the Rocoo and the Gumstick are. The latter is better in every way, but still, the OLED is horrid in natural light, ID3 tag support is nasty (simple drag and drop doesn't work - you have to create folders), and FLAC support, while advertised, is choppy. 

I love its sound, but it is a LOT to sacrifice for 'sound'. I do prefer it to the clip though. I wonder if the Silver is the same as the Cube. Obviously, they share a similar outside, but the insides are a bit different.

Dec 16, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #3 of 4
Probably another OEM by Cube based on the similar hardware as Rocoo (which is also OEM'ed by Cube)? I know the two companies have an argument on contract a while ago and Cube had announced that they won't be OEM'ed for HiSound anymore, so they could have sold the Rocoo based OEM player to another oversea company. It probably won't be similar to C30 since MP4Nation already rebrand that model.

Dec 17, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
Probably another OEM by Cube based on the similar hardware as Rocoo (which is also OEM'ed by Cube)? I know the two companies have an argument on contract a while ago and Cube had announced that they won't be OEM'ed for HiSound anymore, so they could have sold the Rocoo based OEM player to another oversea company. It probably won't be similar to C30 since MP4Nation already rebrand that model.

[size=medium]
I think you might be right. Upon further investigation it appears that the firmware is virtually identical to the Rocoo-A, same play screen, same menus, same eq and playfx. 
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back