Guitar-fi anyone?
Feb 8, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #421 of 832
So I'm getting nearly $2,000 on my tax return! YAY ME! I'm not going to spend it all on a guitar, but I can up my original budget slightly now. Would you guys still advise going the Yamaha route, or should I just pony up for something nicer? Also, any amp and distortion pedal recommendations to get that fuzzy sound?

Feb 8, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #422 of 832

Quote:
So I'm getting nearly $2,000 on my tax return! YAY ME! I'm not going to spend it all on a guitar, but I can up my original budget slightly now. Would you guys still advise going the Yamaha route, or should I just pony up for something nicer? Also, any amp and distortion pedal recommendations to get that fuzzy sound?

How much do you want to spend?  If you were going to buy a Mexi-Strat why not go for the real thing (US model) like a Deluxe Player Strat. 

I would actually look for a used Strat Plus or Strat Plus Deluxe with the Lace Sensor pickups.  It should run you about $750 if you look around.

I have an American Strat and my friend has a Mexican Strat and the difference is pretty substantial.  I can stand on the whammy bar and my guitar never goes out of tune.  A little Strat abuse and the Mexi is out of tune.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money on an amp look for a Line 6.  They have some pretty decent built in sounds.  Good enough for screwing around at home or even playing a small club.

Feb 8, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #423 of 832
No more than $1000, ideally around $800. There's an American Special Strat on Amazon for $800 and I was looking at a PodXT for around $300, hooking it up to my current system or using my headphones.

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #424 of 832
The American Specials are supposed to be great values and a step up from the Highway One, which was Fender's previous "budget" American made Strat.

Now you've got me looking at the American Special Telecasters.

mmmmmmm Telecaster....

Feb 9, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #425 of 832

Quote:
The American Specials are supposed to be great values and a step up from the Highway One, which was Fender's previous "budget" American made Strat.

Now you've got me looking at the American Special Telecasters.

mmmmmmm Telecaster....

Give in to the 'Dark Side'...   ever since I bought my Telecaster (last August) my Strat has just been sitting inside it's case.

Feb 9, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #426 of 832
yamaha pacificas all the way baby!

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #427 of 832
Never played a Pacifica.  The Mike Stern Signature model like a sweet guitar.  If I had $1000 to spend on a guitar I would consider that one.

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #428 of 832
they are just cheap, well made guitars :)

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #429 of 832

One of my band mates used to have a Schecter PT Custom Telecaster.  This was a hot sounding guitar and great looking guitar.  The red was really intense.  It had a real bite to the sound. I envied that instrument.

If you can find one of these grab it.

!C!gkMu!!2k~$(KGrHqR,!iYE0GefOoEuBNDQyHS0Dw~~_12.JPG

Feb 10, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #430 of 832
I think I've all but settled on an MIM strat, just going to wait until I head out to the store and ask the people that work there some questions, make sure they think I'm going the proper route.

Only thing I've not yet settled on is amplification. Won't need anything beefy, just a small amp, but even then there's a lot of choices to be made.

Feb 11, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #431 of 832
have transistor amps caught up with valves yet?  about 10 years back all the tranny amps i played on sounded like total crap.

Feb 12, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #432 of 832
They might have. I used to have a tranny Yamaha that was as cold and lifeless as anything.
Then, got to be 20+ years ago, I got a ProAmp Demon. Little MosFet combo.

Maybe not quite Baby Marshall standard, but quite a nice warm sound and pretty damn loud.

Good as a keyboard, amp too, with the clean channel and I would urge the attending masses to play an electronic keyboard (say a Yam PSR)  Pipe Organ through the metal distortion channel. Comes over like a particularly filthy Hammond :)

(OK, so I'm only the millionth to have tried it... I make no claims for originality. Just an amusing sound.)

article of sorts

http://www.performing-musician.com/pm/aug09/articles/pubgenius.htm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DEMON-PRO-AMP-/200556335546 

old ad, but it looks like someone else's is still going too :)

Apr 24, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #435 of 832
I currently own a Squier Strat and a BC Rich Warlock Platinum through a Peavey Vypyr amp. I play mostly rock and metal, but a little classical and some blues and jazz.
I want a new guitar and found a Schecter Damien FR that is MSRP $650 and actual selling price $450-500 but I found it online for about $235. It has a Specia Floyd Rose, EMG-HZ pickups, satin black finish, and badass bat inlays. Would anyone recommend it or are there any other better options??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back