Guitar attenuator Line Out to Headphones
Nov 11, 2008 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Avenyr

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have been looking around for a few days, looking information on the internet about possible ways to hook up my guitar attenuator to headphones. I hope to use the attenuator for a cranked amp at low volumes and also using headphones with a good sound quality when I disconnect the cabinet from the attenuator for silent playing at night.

I current own Sennheisers HD-497 and RS-140.

Now the problem is with my current setup and gear, I can't get a decent sound quality. Plugging headphones directly in the line out obviously does not work as it is not meant for that. The only device I have that "works" is a Boss MicroBR but I have to plug the Line Out into the Guitar In jack... it sounds awful.

I would like to know what are your suggestions simply so I can plug headphones into a device that will manage the Line Out of the attenuator. Both my amp and speaker cabinet also have a line out which give the same results probably because I don't have what's needed.

Thank you very much !

Nov 13, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #2 of 7
I noticed some products could provide a starting such as the Presonus HP4 headphone amplifier or their Firebox recording device. Also could small 2-4 channel Mixers help me achieve that goal without lose of quality?

Any idea on these devices ?

Nov 13, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #3 of 7
I've got a E-MU 0404 with which I try something like that. It will take a short while before I'm at home again though. (about two hours I think)

If I'm correct you just want something in between your line-out and your headphones in order to get a better sound quality. Right?

Nov 13, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got a E-MU 0404 with which I try something like that. It will take a short while before I'm at home again though. (about two hours I think)

If I'm correct you just want something in between your line-out and your headphones in order to get a better sound quality. Right?

Yes that's exactly what I want to do.

I currently send the line-out of the attenuator through the CD-IN of a solid state amp and use the headphone output of this instead of the Micro BR. The sound quality is a bit better but the sound distorts immediately after I set the line out volume for the headphone to an audible level.

So the device will have to ensure that it will not distort with a decent volume from the attenuator and sound good. It doesn't have to make me deaf
L3000.gif

Nov 13, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #5 of 7
Well, after trying several combinations I can honestly say that everything I've got is not able to do it. Not with good results that is.

I can get a signal out from the line-out without distortion into the E-MU and then listen to it with direct monitoring, but the volume with which you'll end up with is simply too low. It also sounds kinda 'plasticy' and since my strings aren't made of plastic last time I checked this is not ideal. So in order to get enough volume I hooked up the E-MU on my WooAudio 6 and while that does provide enough volume it sounds pretty awful. It has pretty much the same effect as daisy chaining too many pedals.

The only way I can get a good sounding signal from my amp into my E-MU is placing a mic in front of my amp which kinda defies the idea here.

Nov 17, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #6 of 7
I had the chance to test some devices this weekend and I ended up getting interesting results going from a Presonus HP4 headphone amp hooked directly at the lineout. The sound is much much better but then it would need some major EQing because the sound is giving me some major headaches... but it's still the best I've had so far.

Do you think it might be a good thing to try out high-end headphones such as the HD650 and the DT880 ? Could I get a decent upgrade in sound quality versus my Sennheiser HD 497 ?

I wanted to get some HD 650 but I would have to try them out first to see if it's worth it but nobody around here seems to sell them unless you buy them on special order
frown.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #7 of 7
I tried this again with my E-MU 0404 and I actually had a better result now. I forgot that I still had my wah-wah pedal on. Such things happen I guess...
redface.gif

Either way. The sound which I got from it now was quite good. So, if you really want to be able to play at night you should be doing just fine with the E-MU 0404 or something else like it.

A better headphone surely makes it sound better. I doubt the HD650 is a great idea for this purpose though. Since the HD650 is open you will hear everything including the strumming etc. I am mainly using my HD250s for this purpose. They are closed, comfy and still pretty neat sounding. I am sure there are better sounding alternatives, but probably a lot more expensive. Stax 4070 for instance. A lot better, but also a bit (read: insane amount) more expensive.

If you are planning on getting a headphone which you are going to use a lot for this purpose I would at least recommend a closed one instead of an open one. A closed headphone won't leak as much sound either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back