[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Apr 20, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #1,471 of 1,845
Quote:
Of course you can use the Magni by itself, it's a dedicated headphone amp. But if you feel you need a DAC and amp, yes you need both. The Magni has considerably more power output than the Fiio, but I haven't listened to the E10, so can't comment on their sound.

Quote:
There's no rule saying the Magdi and Modi should be used together. They're just fine as separates. If you can only afford one, get the amp first. If you're going for portability though, the e10 is better as it is usb powered. 

Oh ok Its good that one can use them seperately but its still not possible to connect Magni to laptop via usb(as its not dac) which is no big deal only it adds the issue of powering the Magni using wall socket which considering that Im not in US may be a bit of problem.

Anyways I still dont know how Magni would pair with dt990 in comparison to E10 with dt990, considering that some of the forum members say that they have good synergy together....

Apr 21, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #1,472 of 1,845
Get the E10. Although it's still not sufficient, it will be decent for now, and you can attach a better amp down the line.

May 12, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #1,474 of 1,845
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm a new audiophile that started buying and paying attention to better quality sound equipment just about a year ago.

A while ago, I got my hands on the DT990 Premium 250s + an E11 Fiio that I ran through my Xonar DX on my computer. I just wanted to make sure that I do in fact have the 250s since I got these through the Massdrop from before. Well, my spare batteries for my Fiio pretty much died and has left me unamped for quite a while. What I find interesting is that despite what people have said about Xonar DXs not being able to drive the headphones to a high enough volume or that the sound would be too quiet, the soundcard can sort of drive them up to a point. Basically, they're loud enough for me before it reaches max on my computer, where the max is pretty close to my listening volume.

I was wondering if that is supposed to be the case with the 250 DT990s or if that's a sign that maybe I have the 32ohm version instead. I understand that the quality of my sound is being compromised but I just want to understand if the Xonar DXs are supposed to give me a decent listening volume despite the loss in sound quality without an amp. If need be, is there anyway I can check the impedance on my headphones through the computer? I'm thinking I might need to buy a multimeter for this.

Also, on that note, I would like a recommendation on a desktop amp for a good price. I've seen quite a few different options such as the Chinese ebay single tube amp, the O2 and the Magni. Would the Magni pair up nicely with these headphones or would paying extra for the O2 be worth it? I also welcome any recommendations I haven't mentioned.

Figured it'd be better to post it in this thread instead. Thoughts on this?

May 12, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #1,475 of 1,845
Quote:

I was wondering if that is supposed to be the case with the 250 DT990s or if that's a sign that maybe I have the 32ohm version instead. I understand that the quality of my sound is being compromised but I just want to understand if the Xonar DXs are supposed to give me a decent listening volume despite the loss in sound quality without an amp. If need be, is there anyway I can check the impedance on my headphones through the computer? I'm thinking I might need to buy a multimeter for this.

Also, on that note, I would like a recommendation on a desktop amp for a good price. I've seen quite a few different options such as the Chinese ebay single tube amp, the O2 and the Magni. Would the Magni pair up nicely with these headphones or would paying extra for the O2 be worth it? I also welcome any recommendations I haven't mentioned.

Its definitly the same for me. I also have dt990 pro(250 ohm) and the sound from my laptop could get as load as mu hearing limits just like the way you described it. So I think you have 250ohms alright...

Im also looking  to get an amp for dt990s and was looking at LD MK3. But I dont know how the tube amps could affect the sound on rock and metal songs. I dont know if they are good for these genres or just good with jazz and classicals (I meant in comparison with SS amps such as O2 and M-Stage) ....

May 12, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #1,476 of 1,845
Hey ZX,

Thanks a ton for this thread!  It helped me a lot in guiding me to what I really want, but I still need some recommendations. 

I came from beats pro (only because they were free) and became very used to that sound, but wanted to try an upgrade, so I bought the dt880's (32 ohm, portability is very important to me).  I like the 880s, but because I was so used to the hyped sound of the Beats, I feel the 880's are lacking in bass and the highs are a bit too harsh for me.  SO I went ahead and purchased the dt990's 32 ohm to hopefully make up in the bass.  I haven't listened to them yet, but they're waiting for me in the mail for when I get home. 

I realized soon after purchasing the 990s that I need minimal leakage, so an open headphone may not be for me.  

Now, I'm leaning towards trying the dt770 32 ohm, or just pulling the trigger on the t5p.  They seem to hit all my marks, except I haven't listened to either.  

How do the 770 & t5p compare (which has more bass and more gentle treble), how does the t5p compare to the 880 and 990, and which would you recommend? 

If you get a chance to respond to this, thanks in advance,
-bliss 
atsmile.gif

May 19, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #1,477 of 1,845
Guess who's back after months of not being around....

I think comparing them isn't exactly fair. Which DT770 were you looking to get? The 250Ohm versions are brighter and thinner sounding while the 80Ohm version is thicker and smoother with thick bass.

The T5P sounds more similar to the 250Ohm version.
  1. The T5p Is more treble focussed but the bass is there and is very controlled with good impact. It's not like a subwoofer at all and is more contained (if that makes sense). It extends much deeper and is more detailed and tighter than the 250Ohm DT770.
  2. The treble is very detailed and extends high and can sound bright on poorly mastered material. The T5p instantly sounds smoother and more detailed next to the DT770. 
  3. The midrange is pretty different between them. As much as I love the DT770, it ends up sounding incredibly thin in this department. Instruments and vocals have so soul. It's like listening to an outline of the instrument/singer. The T5p is much thicker and sounds full bodied in contrast. The guitars shred nicely, singers sounds realistic. The resolving capabilities of the headphones really stand out here and you can here very subtle nuances that aren't that well pronounced on the DT770.
  4. The soundstage is the biggest difference. The DT770 sounds small and enclosed while the T5p is big and spacious. That being said, the imaging is still good on the DT770, but sounds muddled. The T5p's angled driver help to make the sound more coherent and focussed.

May 19, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #1,478 of 1,845
Thanks for this! Much appreciated :)
I've since purchased the T5p's and it's funny how I can agree with all your comments.

I love em but they just lack bass quantity for me. I'm definitely keeping them for the soundstage and clarity throughout the spectrum, but I want a fun headphone to get into the music creation process. I have the monster Inspiration for that. I love their sound signature (similar to beats), but I just wish they had that same clarity the T5p's deliver.

Can you (or anyone) think of a phone that comes to mind?

Thx ZX!

Guess who's back after months of not being around....

I think comparing them isn't exactly fair. Which DT770 were you looking to get? The 250Ohm versions are brighter and thinner sounding while the 80Ohm version is thicker and smoother with thick bass.

The T5P sounds more similar to the 250Ohm version.
  • The T5p Is more treble focussed but the bass is there and is very controlled with good impact. It's not like a subwoofer at all and is more contained (if that makes sense). It extends much deeper and is more detailed and tighter than the 250Ohm DT770.
  • The treble is very detailed and extends high and can sound bright on poorly mastered material. The T5p instantly sounds smoother and more detailed next to the DT770. 
  • The midrange is pretty different between them. As much as I love the DT770, it ends up sounding incredibly thin in this department. Instruments and vocals have so soul. It's like listening to an outline of the instrument/singer. The T5p is much thicker and sounds full bodied in contrast. The guitars shred nicely, singers sounds realistic. The resolving capabilities of the headphones really stand out here and you can here very subtle nuances that aren't that well pronounced on the DT770.
  • The soundstage is the biggest difference. The DT770 sounds small and enclosed while the T5p is big and spacious. That being said, the imaging is still good on the DT770, but sounds muddled. The T5p's angled driver help to make the sound more coherent and focussed.

May 19, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #1,479 of 1,845
Which version of Beyer sounds best with classical. Most reviews I have seen favor the 880, but I just read one on a classical music website and they said that the 990 was better (I guess due to the increased bass). To further muddle the pond I remember reading a topic on these boards some time ago in which someone was stating that the 770 was the ideal phone for classical. I like my HD650, but I would really like a little (or a lot) more detail and air in the mid-treble region without losing any of the bass detail and impact. Is there a Beyer (short of the T1) that has that?

May 19, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #1,480 of 1,845
Yes, the 880. I came to the 880 from a 650 looking for the same thing: more detail, more treble, more air, more vitality, less mud. To my ears, on classical, the 880 is a definite step up from the 650: it simply reminds me more of the sound of a live orchestra and has noticeably less listener fatigue (once the treble peak is addressed, with can be achieved with something as simple as a treble tone control). I've never heard the 990, but the FR and many reviews suggest they're less neutral, and I don't see how something less "flat" than the 880 can be better for reproducing live instruments unless you don't actually like the sound of live instruments and want some sort of "enhancement".

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #1,481 of 1,845
I have the choice between the DT770 and DT990 for the same price. Which would you guys get and why? I know that the DT770 is closed while the DT990 is opened, and although I usually prefer open, I am willing to try anything and not going to make that a deciding factor, as I don't plan to use these outdoors anyway, just at my home.

According to the DT770 vs DT990 part on the first page: "The DT990's can make a lot of music sound thin but the DT770's makes music sound lifeless." This makes me worry because it seems like both make music sound "bad"? But I guess in the end, "thin" is better than "lifeless"?

At first, I planned to get the DT770 but then noticed that the DT990 was the exact same price, and so I just assumed that the 990 was better than 770 because the number is higher (lol).
So I don't really know, what are the pros and cons of each? Do they both have the same comfort and cables?
Btw, they're both the 250ohm PRO versions.
and would your decision change if it were the 80ohm version of DT770 instead of 250?

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #1,482 of 1,845
I don't know about DT770.. But I feel DT990 is very scalable.. Keeping the headphone constant, I have been trying to improve my audio chain to suit the sonic signature of DT990 which I like, despite the v-shape graph..

For example, changing my interconnects to better quality ones like canares improve the clarity. Using transparent dac like ODAC gives it better imaging. I tried a few amps and in the end only tubes can give it the power to punch in the mids while controlling the bass.. Then some tube rolling can fine tune the sounds even further, i.e width and depth..

So basically I am hearing improvements on my DT990 in the gradual upgrade attempts.. Maybe DT770 can do likewise.. But the open factor can be crucial to determine the sound signature unique to each after all..

Beyers just need great pairings to sound the best I reckon, and I believe there is further room for that improvement in my case (as long as I have not mod the stock headphone cable!).. And when my upgrades are not like a big few hundreds or thousands, the sound of my DT990 now is just fantastic, for it's price..

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #1,483 of 1,845
Quote:
I have the choice between the DT770 and DT990 for the same price. Which would you guys get and why? I know that the DT770 is closed while the DT990 is opened, and although I usually prefer open, I am willing to try anything and not going to make that a deciding factor, as I don't plan to use these outdoors anyway, just at my home.

According to the DT770 vs DT990 part on the first page: "The DT990's can make a lot of music sound thin but the DT770's makes music sound lifeless." This makes me worry because it seems like both make music sound "bad"? But I guess in the end, "thin" is better than "lifeless"?

At first, I planned to get the DT770 but then noticed that the DT990 was the exact same price, and so I just assumed that the 990 was better than 770 because the number is higher (lol).
So I don't really know, what are the pros and cons of each? Do they both have the same comfort and cables?
Btw, they're both the 250ohm PRO versions.
and would your decision change if it were the 80ohm version of DT770 instead of 250?

That bolded red part is complete rubbish, no offense to the original author, none of these headphone make anything sound bad or good....they're both deep inside the "very neutral and natural sounding" category. They're pro headphones made by some of the best, if not the best engineers in the business, pretty sure they know what they're doing, regardless of what any CONSUMER might say. Again, none of them will change the sound that you feed into them in a dramatic way, they both sound very realistic.

And yes, DT990 Pro's are FAR better the 770. They're not even in the same league, and therefore should not even directly compared. DT990's are clearly, in completely different league in terms of sound quality, regardless of anyone's sound signature preference.   They're on a level of HD650's or K701's, while DT770 are not even nearly as good. Basically, I thought the same thing, that 990 and 770 are similar because they cost the same, but when I bought the DT990 Pro's, DT770's 80 Pro's suddenly sound like an obviously lower tier headphone. Difference between them is larger than between my HD650 and HD558. They still sound neutral and very realistic, and totally perfect for studio use, but they don't sound as "hi-fi" as the 990's.  There's nowhere near as much detail or soundstage, they have slightly, VERY slightly recessed vocals in comparison, but not as nice sounding as on the 990's, 990's have a very airy, transparent, large soundstage, very good imaging, etc. Basically, they're a top contender for an open back <500$ headphone, and owning pretty much every other headphone in that category, I feel I can say that with a considerable amount of certainty. If you don't NEED closed headphones, buy the 990 pro's and don't ever even look at the 770's.

770's are great headphones for their $200-250 price and a for a closed headphone, and they do their job perfectly well,  but 990 pro's would be a steal even at $400, because they take the performance of the 770's, and just improve on every single thing....tightness, speed, texture, detail, extension of the bass is superior, it does not at all interfere with the rest of the spectrum, and don't let anyone tell you 990's are basshead headphones. I compare mine directly to the K701, and I still don't feel they're bass heavy in comparison, just slightly more capable in bass than the K701's... so...they can produce a lot of bass, but ONLY when needed. Crappy headphones like Sony XB500's always sound bassy unlistenable fart canons, when needed and when not needed, but DT990's will be bass light, totally neutral, or bass heavy WHEN needed, which means, it totally depends on the mastering of the recording you're listening to.  Vocals and instruments just have more space around them, they sound more real and textured than on the 770's,  highs are cleared, more crystalline, there's more detail...but at the same, they're less fatiguing, because the whole sound of the 990's is smooth. It's a very smooth sound that when you first hear it immediately makes you feel like thats it, it sounds as it should sound, as close to reality as possible.

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #1,485 of 1,845
Quote:

That bolded red part is complete rubbish, no offense to the original author, none of these headphone make anything sound bad or good....they're both deep inside the "very neutral and natural sounding" category. They're pro headphones made by some of the best, if not the best engineers in the business, pretty sure they know what they're doing, regardless of what any CONSUMER might say. Again, none of them will change the sound that you feed into them in a dramatic way, they both sound very realistic.

I have owned or heard virtually all of the mid priced  Beyers and I must disagree. The only Beyer I would ever consider using in a professional/studio environment would be the DT250, with a slight compensation for bass rolloff below 80Hz. The DT770/880/990 all have elevated bass/midbass and the same treble peaks, with the 990 being the most pronounced of the three which also makes it the least neutral. The DT770 actually has less bass response than the 990, but feels stronger due to the closed nature of the headphone. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back