gspaudio SOLO 2004 preview
Mar 31, 2004 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

PinkFloyd

Headphoneus Supremus
I thought I'd share this with head-fi members. This is a prototype of the gspaudio circuit and chassis that will be going into production at the end of April. Graham reckons this will be the full production chassis.

proto%20solo%202.jpg

It's the 2004 version incorporating all the mods of the "unofficial" modded version that a few head-fiers and sennheiser got using the old board (PCB) and facilitates all the under board mods (piggyback mods) on an entirely new board.

Graham says "it sounds just the same as the fully upgraded original (is the same) with identical components yet implements a new circuit board to accomodate the parts in a tidier way"

The new casework "will" feature a white LED in place of the white circle above the gspaudio logo (nice one) Some people think LED's affect sound quality but I prefer to know the amp is switched on :)

Gone is the hook up wire, replaced by direct connection to the PCB using a very high quality RCA connector block, gone is that black plastic volume knob which will be replaced with a solid aluminium knob, the headphone socket has been replaced with a Jalco PCB mount substitute and the brass bayonet DC socket has been replaced with a standard 2.1mm DC jack.

Unfortunately that "switch" remains but we can't have our cake and eat it. The 2004 solo "proper" won't sound any different to the ones that sennheiser and a few head-fiers have but it will sure look different being housed in an aluminium enclosure with high quality fascia.

I can't critisize any part of the new layout apart from the switch (lose it) and the potentiometer which, I feel, could have been replaced with a blue velvet. That's probably an unfair comment as the pots Graham uses are individually tested and I found them to operate superbly.

Overall it "looks" a darned good amp now the bottom of the board tweaks have been brought to the surface and I can't wait to see the finished article once the rest of the casework is completed. Cosmetics aside, the Solo circuit remains unchanged.

Pinkie.

Mar 31, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 6
Very clean looking layout on the SOLO amp now. Thanks for sharing Michael. I sure hope that many more here take the plunge and are truly blown away by what you described in your assessment of this amp.

Apr 1, 2004 at 4:12 AM Post #5 of 6
Can you go more into detail about the Solo? Are you aware of pricing and are there any more pictures to whet our appetities? It looks incredibly efficient from the naked pic posted above. Thanks and sorry if the information was posted in a different thread I missed.

Apr 1, 2004 at 2:38 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by highflyin9
Can you go more into detail about the Solo? Are you aware of pricing and are there any more pictures to whet our appetities? It looks incredibly efficient from the naked pic posted above. Thanks and sorry if the information was posted in a different thread I missed.

The price of the Solo was £299 with standard PSU or £399 with the "PSU1" I'm not sure if these prices will be the same when the 2004 Solo goes on sale at the end of this month. The last time I spoke with Graham Slee he indicated that he may have to add 10% to the price.

Unfortunately, that's the only picture that was given to me but I'll post the complete 2004 Solo as soon as I get the piccies :)

There is another thread which has a bit of information but this was on the MK111 version, the 2004 version sounds a lot better.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ight=slee+solo

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ight=slee+solo

All the best.

Pinkie.

PS: I'll be adding my review of the 2004 version to http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/soloreview.htm very shortly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back