GSP Audio Solo headphone amp(review)
Mar 30, 2002 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dandi

100+ Head-Fier
Impressions of the GSP Solo headphone amp:

The Solo is the first headphone amp , for me, which goes beyond my expectations and sets a new standard for excellence in quality sound reproduction. Grahm Slee’s Solo amp creates a truely "high-fidelity" experience bringing out the deepest level of feeling in the recording. The openness and spaciousness of the sound is remarkable. The headphones seem to disappear into a transparent musical experience like listening in a concert hall or to a fine pair of speakers, an experience not had with numerous other headphone amps.
Each element of the recording each instrument, each vocal, each microphone is very clearly defined individually then blended into a perfect sound stage. My attention can go to any one element and there is satisfaction. No element is sacrificed for another.The whole of the music is presented in a dynamic that is clear,neutral and open.
The Solo’s depth reveals the “mechanics” of the music like no other amp I have listened to. I am hearing musical direction as in microphone and instrument placements on stage and the sound of horn valves and piano pedals and the slide of fingers over strings just before they are plucked. All of these nuances have been heard in other headphone listening but not, for me, in such an integrated complete way as with the GSP Solo.
Listening is the least fatiguing of my experience with a noticeable lack of that slight ringing or buzzing which lingers sometimes after.
Lastly the most profound impression with the Solo is -the silence- the Solo is so good at what it does that in the gaps and pauses between the musical notes and movements or transitions there is a richness, a fullness which brings a big smile of pure contentment and the thought that it doesn’t get much better than this.
Please go to the GSP web site at www.audiocontrol.co.uk for complete information.

system: Sony PCDP D25S, Solo amp and .5 meter Clearview II Ultrathin interconnects Senn. 580s
prior amps listened to: Wheatfield HA-2, Headroom Supreme, Earmax and Grado

Mar 31, 2002 at 2:30 AM Post #2 of 9
Thanks for the review, dandi. It's obvious that you really like the Solo. How would you say it compares to the other amps you listed as having listened to, in particluar the Grado RA-1 and the Earmax?

Mar 31, 2002 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 9
I really love the sound of the Grado, the Earmax left me completly flat, perhaps I didn't give it enough burn in time. The Wheatfield is a tube lovers dream. The Solo is, in my opinion, in the vanguard of the headphone amp market. It is a different breed of amp.

Mar 31, 2002 at 8:51 AM Post #5 of 9
Hmmm....interesting. I have little knowledge of electronics and circuits and all that, but this C-drive concept definitely sounds like a very different approach to headphone amps than any other company. The site actually gives a pretty good rundown of the amp itself, and it definitely sounds like something worth checking out (the price looks pretty good as well - about $330 after shipping). If only I had money...
wink.gif

here's a direct link: www.audiocontrol.co.uk/headphone.htm

It's not the prettiest thing to look at...looks a little DYIish, actually...
biggrin.gif

solo%20front.jpg

solo%20rear.jpg

Apr 4, 2002 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 9
Dandi, my GSP unit have a slight hum, noticeable only when you really listen to it, and which is gone completely when I touched any of the metal part. Could be a grounding problem...does your unit have similar problem?

Anyway, I have been listening to this GSP amp for quite a while now...It gets better with burn-in period...as the unit does not go through any manufacturer burn-in period yet when it arrived. I would not hesitate suggesting this amp to acidtripwow
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2002 at 2:47 AM Post #9 of 9
I think you should contact Grahm Slee at GSP with your hummmmm problem. It could be a ground, I guess. Check the other components of your system also and placement, you don't want the Solo's power supply too near the amp or for that matter any other power supply and not near the TV etc...You may also try and reverse the polarity by unplugging the solo and turning the plug 180 degrees and plugging in again. Try plugging into another outlet in a different part of the house?? I think probably contacting GSP is your best bet. Check to see if the humm is there with the volume level all the way down and with all other componets disconnected.
-Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back