GS Audio Impressions Thread
Oct 14, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #842 of 1,414
Hi....well I haven't yet received the ST4
....customs and postal services are a joke lately.
I just had 4 earphones get stuck in Spanish customs ....but I am in Portugal....so some sellers on AliExpress when they ship they ship to Holland or Spain and then it gets sent to Portugal and occasionally customs here has me pay the respective duties.
This time it was stopped by customs in Spain and they say I must pay customs there....which of course ain't gonna happen. Absolute joke.
So that's over 400usd in earphoens stuck there.
As for the ST4 it says Still in Transit....will have to wait. My apologies
Weird. Don't you pay taxes at checkout?

Oct 14, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #843 of 1,414
Weird. Don't you pay taxes at checkout?
Everywhere is different, i am in the U.K and have been using AliExpress for many many years and have never payed V.A.T but i am now being charged about 20% V.A.T at checkout!!! This has something to do with Brexite mind you!

Oct 16, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #844 of 1,414
Everywhere is different, i am in the U.K and have been using AliExpress for many many years and have never payed V.A.T but i am now being charged about 20% V.A.T at checkout!!! This has something to do with Brexite mind you!
Surprising, the systematic VAT payment on imports is a European Union directive, which applies since July. The UK shouldn't be concerned since you're out of the EU.

Oct 18, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #847 of 1,414
Surprising, the systematic VAT payment on imports is a European Union directive, which applies since July. The UK shouldn't be concerned since you're out of the EU.
That's VERY interesting! I will have to look into this because it's costing me quite a bit of money from companies like Aliecpress & IMR Acoustics, when your buying something for £75 and over it becomes a BIG hit on the final price! I was looking at buying the GS Audio ST3 earlier and it charged me an extra £26 so i didn't go ahead!

Oct 18, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #848 of 1,414
Mine should be delivered this week and I will post my impressions here.
Fantastic look forward to hearing your impressions? I'm still waiting for for Tonytex to give me his impressions on the ST4 before i buy my first GS Audio iem? I'm torn between the GD3A,ST3,ST4 & GD5? I'm 99.9% sure on the ST4 due to it being a pure BA which i don't have! Also, the ST4 has a Sonion 38 & Knowles 22955 for Bass which is probably the best low frequency BA's at the moment and add to that Sonion 23 Series for Mids & Highs makes it an EXCELLENT iem on "paper" but i need to know what its tuning & timbre is like in real life? Especially in the highs due to a pretty steep peak around7-8 kHz!! So yeah your impressions on GD5 will help me keep it in my list or drop it?

Oct 18, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #850 of 1,414
Fantastic look forward to hearing your impressions? I'm still waiting for for Tonytex to give me his impressions on the ST4 before i buy my first GS Audio iem? I'm torn between the GD3A,ST3,ST4 & GD5? I'm 99.9% sure on the ST4 due to it being a pure BA which i don't have! Also, the ST4 has a Sonion 38 & Knowles 22955 for Bass which is probably the best low frequency BA's at the moment and add to that Sonion 23 Series for Mids & Highs makes it an EXCELLENT iem on "paper" but i need to know what its tuning & timbre is like in real life? Especially in the highs due to a pretty steep peak around7-8 kHz!! So yeah your impressions on GD5 will help me keep it in my list or drop it?
asked gs audio what they would recommend for jazz, classical and instrumental - they said that st4 is the best option

Oct 18, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #851 of 1,414
asked gs audio what they would recommend for jazz, classical and instrumental - they said that st4 is the best option
Oh this is very very interesting & positive for me because i want this iem for complex music like Arcade Fire for example and GS pointing out its good for Jazz & Classical is another positive tick for the ST4. Also, i listen to a lot of instrumental Drum & Bass So that's another positive GS saying it's good for instrumental.. The 2 things I'm holding out for is how they portray male vocals & sub-bass? I'm pretty sure male AND female vocals shouldn't be an issue due to the Sonion 23 Series BA which is supposed to be one of the best Midgrange & Vocal BA out there? The big thing for "me" will be the low frequency presentation? Im a basshead at heart and ALWAYS need a healthy sub-bass no matter what I'm listening too, it presents a great atmosphere in the music! That's the main reason i have never purchased a pure Balanced Armature iem, thay can NEVER beat a dynamic driver for impact,depth,texture & layering! But what interests me is the speed,clarity & detail retrieval a "good" Low Frequency Balanced Armature driver like the Sonion 37 & 38 Series & Knowles 22955 can bring to the table.
So this is what I'm waiting for, does the ST4 have a Warm Tuning with enough bass "FOR ME"? Tonytex is having an absolute NIGHTMARE with customs who are treating him disgraceful so it will probably be a while for his impressions? But to be honest iv just put a deposit down on my UM MEST mk2 and its nearly paid in full and Christmas is just round the corner! having 3 kids & 2 grand children my Christmas presents list is normally pretty long so new iem will probably have to wait until the new year lol 😀😀😀😛

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #854 of 1,414
Which tips bring the best out of the GD3A? Just received mine today :D
It depends on what you're looking to change about it's sound. I was plenty happy with how they sounded with the stock tips. I'll do some rolling and see what changes.

Oct 18, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #855 of 1,414
Which tips bring the best out of the GD3A? Just received mine today :D
Generally speaking narrow bore Tips bring more low-frequency and wide bore more elevated mid & highs. But like Mndless said there are many many factors in play when selecting tips for "Your" ears? If we shared an eartip it would for sure sound different to each other due to the shape of our ears! So in general try this as a "General Guide"
1/ Silicone= Bright
2/ Foam=Dark/Warm
3/ Narrow Bore Silicone=More Bass.
4/ Wide Bore Silicone=More mids & Highs.
As i say this is just a guide and not set in stone. What i would say is try all the Tips Included with the iem in question and if your not getting your desired sound start Tip rolling(trying Tips from other iem's and 3rd party Tips like, JVC Spiral Dots,Spin Fit,Comply ect..)
Hope this helps?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back