GS Audio Impressions Thread
Aug 28, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #572 of 1,414
sorry hahahah
So, it CAN be done and the A7's way of doing it is the proper way.
It's true that looking at other IEMs and resulting graphs, most of their switches implementations are not convincing.
Yeah, judging by the A7 it should be possible. No idea how they can do it and no one else seems to be able to do it though...

Aug 30, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #574 of 1,414
Received the GS SD9 yesterday played with the tips they are FANTASTIC
I HAVE been involved with Audio for over 50 years if I had one complaint it is and I can’t believe I’m saying this.
They may have too much detail.
But I can live with that.
The FR graph looks nice. I'm quite interested in more impressions and reviews on the SD9.
Has anybody confirmed the driver types used on the SD9?

1630307740539.png

Aug 30, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #575 of 1,414
The FR graph looks nice. I'm quite interested in more impressions and reviews on the SD9.
Has anybody confirmed the driver types used on the SD9?

1630307740539.png
I tried confirming with GS Audio, but didn't get much info.
Bass: DD + Sonion 37 series BA (2 BAs??)
Mids: Sonion 2389D BA (2 or 4 BAs?)
Highs: Knowles 3rd generation BA (2 of 4 BAs?)

Maybe I'll be able to tell what's what when I receive my pair.

Aug 30, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #576 of 1,414
I tried confirming with GS Audio, but didn't get much info.
Bass: DD + Sonion 37 series BA (2 BAs??)
Mids: Sonion 2389D BA (2 or 4 BAs?)
Highs: Knowles 3rd generation BA (2 of 4 BAs?)

Maybe I'll be able to tell what's what when I receive my pair.
It’s similar to ST10/GT12,
ST10:
Sub-woofer: Sonion 38 AcuPass (2BA)
Bass-Mid: Sonion 37 (2BA)
Mid-Treble: Sonion 2389D (2BA)
Super Tweeter: Knowles SWFK (4BA)

GT12:
Sub-woofer: Sonion 38 AcuPass | 2BA
Lower Mid: Sonion 33 | 2BA
Upper Mid: 2 x GS Custom TWFK | 4BA
Super Tweeters: 2 x GS custom TWFK | 4BA

So my understanding for SD9 is
Bass:1DD (sound like DD, for tonal coherence)
Bass-Mid: Sonion 37 (2BA)
Mid-Treble: Sonion 2389D (2BA)
Super Tweeter: Knowles SWFK (4BA)

So SD9 is basically identical to ST10 except what sub-woofer they use, SD9 uses DD, and ST10 uses Sonion 38 AcuPass✌️ I’m sure you will like SD9😄 Top notch technicalities if there is no bass bleeding.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #577 of 1,414
Does the ST10 have more bass, more highs, more recessed mids, more details and note definition, more expansive soundstage, and better separation compared to ST8B? Does it justify the price gap between them?

Also, does the ST8B outclass its peers in terms if balance and technicalities, especially details, stage, and separation? And does the ST10 trump it under 500 USD?
ST10 ST8.jpg

The S10 does have more bass more highs/air more recessed mids. The notes are a bit fuller sounding. The separation and soundstage is rather close with just maybe 15% better if I had to put some sort of number attached compared to the ST8B. Ignoring tuning since it is on the individual preference, does it justify the price personally no. Is it the best sounding iem have heard to date, $100 more then the ST8B debatable. I do prefer the to EQ the bass a bit down on the ST10 since it does get in the way of some instrumental/orchestras. The extra bass does not feel like it gets in the way of most of the metal/rock I listen to. It can take a 10-20DB bass boost without distortion for those who really do love their bass. I did not test much higher

ST8B compared to the ST6A/B and GD3A it does have better balance techs. ST6 series has ok separation and poor soundstage overall compared to the rest of the line up. The GD3 has less soundstage not much and instruments are better separated then The ST6 but less then the ST8. In terms of details hearing background stages the guitarist strumming or breathing in some recordings are better captured on the ST8. The ST10 trumps them all in that aspects but is it a the best iem in that price range under $500 I have honestly no clue. Sadly I have not heard that many IEMS, so I cannot answer that.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #578 of 1,414
ST10 ST8.jpg

The S10 does have more bass more highs/air more recessed mids. The notes are a bit fuller sounding. The separation and soundstage is rather close with just maybe 15% better if I had to put some sort of number attached compared to the ST8B. Ignoring tuning since it is on the individual preference, does it justify the price personally no. Is it the best sounding emI have heard to date, $100 more then the ST8B debatable. I do prefer the to EQ the bass a bit down on the ST10 since it does get in the way of some instrumental/orchestras. The extra bass does not feel like it gets in the way of most of the metal/rock I listen to. It can take a 10-20DB bass boost without distortion for those who really do love their bass. I did not test much higher

ST8B compared to the ST6A/B and GD3A it does have better balance techs. ST6 series has ok separation and poor soundstage overall compared to the rest of the line up. The GD3 has less soundstage not much and instruments are better separated then The ST6 but less then the ST8. In terms of details hearing background stages the guitarist strumming or breathing in some recordings are better captured on the ST8. The ST10 trumps them all in that aspects but is it a the best iem in that price range under $500 I have honestly no clue. Sadly I have not heard that many IEMS, so I cannot answer that.
How is the bass of ST8B compared to GD3?

Aug 30, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #579 of 1,414
ST10 ST8.jpg

The S10 does have more bass more highs/air more recessed mids. The notes are a bit fuller sounding. The separation and soundstage is rather close with just maybe 15% better if I had to put some sort of number attached compared to the ST8B. Ignoring tuning since it is on the individual preference, does it justify the price personally no. Is it the best sounding emI have heard to date, $100 more then the ST8B debatable. I do prefer the to EQ the bass a bit down on the ST10 since it does get in the way of some instrumental/orchestras. The extra bass does not feel like it gets in the way of most of the metal/rock I listen to. It can take a 10-20DB bass boost without distortion for those who really do love their bass. I did not test much higher

Agree take on ST10, its bass although being elevated to almost basshead region, but it’s not distorted /muddy at all, that makes ST10 sometime an enjoyable tool for heavy bass. Also I do feel the bass floor is too high for the most of the genres, and it’s self-contradicting the diffusion field neuttal mid/treble with its overly done bass.

I’m taming the bass floor with cables/ear tips, low-path filters, so it’s acceptable level to my standard after all.

The value to performance is very high, texturing, layering is beyond most of sub$500. Not bad at positioning, so overall technicalities of ST10 is very high.

If someone is looking Etymotic like mid-focused IEM with high bass floor, this is it.

Aug 30, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #580 of 1,414
Aug 30, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #582 of 1,414
Can it be eaten? I bet it tastes sweet.
This is the jelly-bean forum right?

They broke their naming convention. GD5 is 4 drivers, 1 DD and 3 BAs. It should be GD4.
They've messed up in their picture descriptions before. It's the same model they had a few months back, just re-shelled in this sparkly purple candy looking shell, so it's got 4BA and a DD. I'll let their rep know that the picture is wrong.

I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to spend the extra $20 to get it re-shelled with the carbon and gold faceplate, since I do actually like their jellybean aesthetic. I just don't know if it's worth it to see the drivers when it's going to be a DD and two dual-chamber BAs.

Edit: Speaking of IEMs that look like candy, take a look at the ST3
Hb3712e1e83914bb7b21c2e96b17eeb7c0.jpg

Edit again: Apparently I'm bad at reading or something, so it should be three BA units in total. My guess would be a dual-chamber unit for the Sonion 33 series, a single chamber for the 23 series and then a single for the TWFK.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #583 of 1,414
They've messed up in their picture descriptions before. It's the same model they had a few months back, just re-shelled in this sparkly purple candy looking shell, so it's got 4BA and a DD. I'll let their rep know that the picture is wrong.

I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to spend the extra $20 to get it re-shelled with the carbon and gold faceplate, since I do actually like their jellybean aesthetic. I just don't know if it's worth it to see the drivers when it's going to be a DD and two dual-chamber BAs.

Good to know.

A few of their IEMs have messed up descriptions, copy-pasted from other models and to fully adjusted.

The GD5 has a fun look, I wouldn't pay $20 to re-shell it, especially at it's price point.
I did pay to re-shell my SD9, but it's a more expensive model and is uglier than the GD5 IMO.
The GD5 has one of the nicer looking graphs of their line-up.

Aug 30, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #584 of 1,414
Good to know.

A few of their IEMs have messed up descriptions, copy-pasted from other models and to fully adjusted.

The GD5 has a fun look, I wouldn't pay $20 to re-shell it, especially at it's price point.
I did pay to re-shell my SD9, but it's a more expensive model and is uglier than the GD5 IMO.
The GD5 has one of the nicer looking graphs of their line-up.
I got my GD7B reshelled to look like the SD3 before they started charging for the service, but I would have done so even with the fee because I really didn't like the aesthetic of the chrome blue ginko leaf pattern. But for the GD5, it's a difficult sell for me because it does look pretty cool and it's a pretty great bargain of a set for the number of drivers with BAs from named brands.

Edit: I do actually like the aesthetic of the SD9. I think the chrome faceplate and purple shell are pretty cool, but I definitely agree that the look doesn't really suit an IEM in that price range. Which shell design did you end up going with? I'm personally quite fond of this one:
2021-08-11 06_04_36-GS AUDIO Artwork Appearance Options Customized Earphone Appearance Shell P...png

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #585 of 1,414

Edit again: Apparently I'm bad at reading or something, so it should be three BA units in total. My guess would be a dual-chamber unit for the Sonion 33 series, a single chamber for the 23 series and then a single for the TWFK.
So technically, it is 4 BAs. If I'm not mistaken, dual BAs in a single shell count as two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back