GS Audio Impressions Thread
Aug 26, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #541 of 1,414
GS Audio GD3A, ST6A, ST6B, ST8B, ST10 listening impressions ~ mini review

General info
Most of the listening was done on a Cayin N3 Pro as the source. I used the 3.5mm output no tubes. The measurements was done on a iec 711 coupler off of Aliexpress. I am still mostly a noob, so take it with plenty of salt if anything is off looking. I use EQ only went noted for some comparisons, otherwise most of the sets were listened to with no EQ for the main impressions. The sets do appear to take EQ well if you want to play around with it, I only tried 5-10DB swings here and there to check it out.

Overall theme for the iems. As a group they all have a moderately large soundstage. As a group detail imaging and separation was excellent, the quality tends to increase a bit as the price increase. The crossover work was also well done. I had a hard time determining where they were implemented it overall. I am sure someone with a trained ear could, but for someone like me I could not. The size of the shell does increase quite a bit as more is stuff in it. People with smaller ears might find the ST10 or large iems potentially off putting due to size, the ST8B was where the comfort level was mostly there for me. The ST10 did fit, just after a few hours I had sore ears after the fact.

GD3A
GD3A.jpg

The bass is clean, detailed and moderately textured. Compared to the other GS Audio I have, it has the more impact wise(DD). Bass is the slowest in the GS Audio lineup that I have. Quicker then the GK10 LZ A7 showing more of a BA presentation with some of the DD impact. The Mids detail is clear and clarity, male vocals is a bit recessed and female vocals are fine. Some might be seeking more treble extension.

ST6A
ST6A.jpg
gd3 st6a.jpg

The bass is still rather well done. Here it is more of a BA style bass, quicker then the GD3A, also a bit thicker also in the presentation, but you do lose a bit of the impact. It is still well done, just the difference between BA and DD it feels like. It had a feeling where the drivers could not keep up with the track, there was no smearing in faster moving tracks. Probably a good presentation of what BA bass should sound like if someone is curious when compared to the GD3A.
The male vocals are a touch closer to the mix, and the brightness that could be seen as missing in the GD3A is well presented here. Is it worth the increase in price, that can be highly debatable. It is a well done tuning with the extra perks of having more drivers to fill out the sound a bit more. Probably the biggest question do you want the increase technicalities and BA bass or just slightly worse and more of a DD impact.

ST6B
ST6B.jpg

ST6A-ST6B.jpg

So The big thing is how do you like your treble and upper mids. Due to the recession the bass-lower mids are much more presented forward. Also the sharp increase in the mids lower treble honestly is a bit too hot overall. The ST6B sharp dropoff in the treble also make some instruments just sound a bit too off overall to the overall mix.
Personally the ST6A is the better tuned of the set. Both are close enough tech wise, the soundstage and air is better on the ST6A, the 6B is much more intimate of a presentation.

ST8B

ST8B.jpg
ST8B ST6A.jpg

So this is what I would probably describe as the perfect laid back IEM that I have tried so far. Everything is well balanced throughout the mix with some treble rolloff at the end. Nothing is extremely overpowered at all. There is less air and soundstage presence then the rest of the collection here. Technicalities are in-between the ST6A and ST10.

ST10
ST10.jpg

ST10-ST6A.jpg

So the ST10 Yeah, I called it neutral bright, nah its more closer to a V shape after some more time listening to it and not trying to compared it so harshly to the ST8 at first impression. The Treble at first glance is not that bad overall. It is brighter then the ST6A but at least it is not unbearable for me.
From the collection I have it is by far the best technicalities of the sets I have. Also has the largest overall soundstage. I do not find the extra treble energy that poorly done compared to the rest, but it certainly will be probably too much for some.

Comparisons

Geek world GK10
GD3- GK10.jpg

Compared to the GD3A, it has more of a sub bass/bass presence throughout the overall mix. There is a bit more overall impact to the bass, but my set has some subbass bleed. Slightly more soundstage, and the separation and details takes a step back. Treble is a bit farther back and you more air to the overall sound. Personally I prefer the GD3A here more.

Fearless Roland

Roland ST8.jpg

Is there any Fearless Roland fans somehow still out there? Yes the Roland is Dark. The ST8B could be a potential upgrade path. The ST8B gives you overall a higher level of technicalities and soundstage with giving you some more energy where the Roland is just too dark overall at. You do lose the speed of a DD driver for the bass, but the rest of the presentation would be an overall upgrade. And honestly since the EST drivers are honestly wasted here, the treble has overall much better quality and texture overall. Even when you EQ the treble down to the Roland's darkness.

Conclusion

Overall the GS Audio Line up was a pleasant surprise. The only one I truly did not care for that much was the ST6B. I can overall highly recommend most of the items here. For most people I would lean the ST6A and the GD3A will probably be the most popular. Safe general tunings that works. The ST8B could be the sleeper here for anyone that likes a more relax presentation. The ST10 honestly probably does not do enough to warrant the higher price tag. Yeah it is better then the ST6A, worth the price difference debatable. The ST8 will probably get the most used out of them for me, since it is more relaxed presentation(I deal with migraines/headaches too often sadly) but the ST6A or ST10 is certainly the better sounding sets.

For me it turned out to be ST8B>ST6A=GD3>ST10>ST6B
Does the ST10 have more bass, more highs, more recessed mids, more details and note definition, more expansive soundstage, and better separation compared to ST8B? Does it justify the price gap between them?

Also, does the ST8B outclass its peers in terms if balance and technicalities, especially details, stage, and separation? And does the ST10 trump it under 500 USD?

Aug 26, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #542 of 1,414
Just tried my GD7B with some extremely wide bore double-flanged eartips that I got with this set of cheap single DD IEMs. While I vastly prefer a set of medium-small set of Spinfit CP-360 tips on those cheapo IEMs, their eartips do work shockingly well for my GD7B. The large size is roughly the size of most brand's medium or medium-large eartips, if they decide to be that granular about it, and work fantastically well to create just the best seal I've had with these things yet. The bass is so much better than I've experienced it before with this set. It's still not basshead levels, but it has impact. Can recommend. The cheapo IEMs that came with the eartips aren't terrible after some burn-in, but they're nothing particularly special either. Mid-treble has a spike I'm not particularly fond of.

Edit to add pic
20210826_204513.jpg

And yes, that is a set of MMCX FiiO LC-BT2 being adapted to recessed .78mm 2-pin using the absolute shortest adapters I have ever seen. Yes, said adapters are also a real pain to get off the mmcx connector. The LC-BT2 does a pretty decent job at powering these things as long as you connect with LDAC as your codec. Anything less and the bass just disappears for some reason. As does everything above 16kHz, not like that especially matters, but that's just every Bluetooth codec worse than LDAC.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #543 of 1,414
00CCD4FA-3E41-47B3-A2F2-4F6DD6A6F4CE.jpeg

F582A837-D61A-4066-9DCA-BDB6C7896BF7.jpeg
4AF66CF5-ADEE-40F1-88A2-F2155BBF94B4.jpeg
88A772D8-F5BD-4756-84CC-24B42FC2FCF1.jpeg
D95713B8-AAB1-4790-838E-A95BDD07A696.jpeg
C103DA76-D14E-48DC-BB34-10B4420BC52B.jpeg
317AFCAB-5231-4E6E-918E-879F9B4B8211.jpeg

More I listen to the SE12, the more it grows on me. Now that I’ve been trying out different music genres outside of my usual classical library, it explains why it’s tuned this way. Additionally this must be one of the very best BA bass I’ve ever heard surpassing RS10 and Spark easily. Its attack is really crisp, clean, impactful with unusually natural decay and sustain. Coincidentally I noticed the SE12 is using the same Sonion 38series Accupass woofers as Oriolus Trailliis, but doubling up to a quad setup 😮. Also interesting to see 4 x Knowles 33803 full range drivers to cover the presumably lower mids to lower treble regions then those electrets taking over the upper registry.

1D1D9398-7823-416C-A772-C1E9E4B7DEBF.jpeg

Traillii has 2 x woofers + 6 mid range BAs + 4 ESTs.

SE12: 4 x woofers + 4 full range BAs + 4 ESTs.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #544 of 1,414
Bought my GD3A from aliexpress. 7 business days to ship. Ouch, the wait...
My one is shipped yesterday, just on time as they claim.

Aug 27, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #546 of 1,414
Listening into ST10 these days more than anything else. When ST10 meets a matching low pass filter, the transient response changes drastically, better imaging, making it quasi-S grade IEM.

I’m definitely started to like ST10, not a balanced set, but it has good intention.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #548 of 1,414
Since only concern for ST10 was the tuning, I suggested GS Audio to add switches, nowadays even IEM starting with $100 comes with switches such as TRI Starsea. So that let user to boost bass/mid/treble, not the manufacturer’s engineer. Suggested to add switches to GD/GT series too, it’s good to have choices when it comes to tuning. Set default as neutral, then add whatever DF-neutral, treble boost, or bass boost as a la carte. Then GS Audio’s IEMs will be very very competitive.

Aug 27, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #549 of 1,414
Since only concern for ST10 was the tuning, I suggested GS Audio to add switches, nowadays even IEM starting with $100 comes with switches such as TRI Starsea. So that let user to boost bass/mid/treble, not the manufacturer’s engineer. Suggested to add switches to GD/GT series too, it’s good to have choices when it comes to tuning. Set default as neutral, then add whatever DF-neutral, treble boost, or bass boost as a la carte. Then GS Audio’s IEMs will be very very competitive.
I can see this being a valuable addition to their premium sets where the addition of switches won't be quite as impactful to the price, but it would be counterproductive to add additional parts and labor costs to the GD3A and push it out of its competitive pricing. For the ST10, I can definitely see this as a positive. Even just a 3dB drop in bass would be useful for the bass sensitive. I would appreciate them on my GD7B, but probably not at an extra $15-20.

Aug 28, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #550 of 1,414
I can see this being a valuable addition to their premium sets where the addition of switches won't be quite as impactful to the price, but it would be counterproductive to add additional parts and labor costs to the GD3A and push it out of its competitive pricing. For the ST10, I can definitely see this as a positive. Even just a 3dB drop in bass would be useful for the bass sensitive. I would appreciate them on my GD7B, but probably not at an extra $15-20.
I’m not expecting increase in pricing as a result of switch addition, as we already have TRI Starsea, going with Knowles ED29689 and TRI’s custom TWFK 30017 with 1composite silicon crystal biological diaphragm DD, 2 switches (4modes), going $93 on sale, pretty close to GD3 series, I don’t see GS Audio with any reason to not be able to compete with this offering, they supposed to be lower in cost as GD3 series are not using Knowles to my knowledge.

Aug 28, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #551 of 1,414
I’m not expecting increase in pricing as a result of switch addition, as we already have TRI Starsea, going with Knowles ED29689 and TRI’s custom TWFK 30017 with 1composite silicon crystal biological diaphragm DD, 2 switches (4modes), going $93 on sale, pretty close to GD3 series, I don’t see GS Audio with any reason to not be able to compete with this offering, they supposed to be lower in cost as GD3 series are not using Knowles to my knowledge.
Akros has said that GD3A and B are using Sonion and Knowles drivers in his reviews. I think there may be a different driver loadout between the two, though, rather than just different tuning of the same drivers.

The average retail price of Starsea is $129. The pricing for the GD3A has settled at $86. I would rather see the lower priced IEMs stay without switches if the price has to be increased to incorporate them.

Aug 28, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #552 of 1,414
GS Audio reps have confirmed that they're trying to get things ready so they can relist the GD5 by the end of the month.

Aug 28, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #554 of 1,414
If my GT12 shows up and turns out to be another successful IEM, I might order the SE8 and change my handle to TGS78 😝
Vortex Reviews seemed pretty positive in his video of it. Hopefully it sounds like you're hoping for.

Aug 28, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #555 of 1,414

Users who are viewing this thread

Back