GS Audio Impressions Thread
Jul 29, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #286 of 1,414
Looks like there's a new IEM from GS Audio: the SD9. Graph looks pretty good.
That looks interesting!
Nicer looking graph than their SD7.
1627577946818.png

Their text describes a similar configuration.
Bass = DD + Sonion 37
Mids + highs = Sonion 2389
Ultra highs = Knowles ?? for SD7 and ???? for SD9

So I assume that:
SD7 = 1x DD + 2x Sonion 37 + 2x Sonion 2389 + 2x Knowles ??
SD9 = 1x DD + 2x Sonion 37 + 4x Sonion 2389 + 2x Knowles ??

The SD9 is pretty tempting.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #287 of 1,414
Just ordered PW audio’s Legend II copper cable in a hope to pair with incoming ST10.

Should be receiving it tomorrow.
Ah so it was you on Aliexpress store says “sold : 1” ! LF for your impressions 👍

Jul 29, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #288 of 1,414
That looks interesting!
Nicer looking graph than their SD7.
1627577946818.png

Their text describes a similar configuration.
Bass = DD + Sonion 37
Mids + highs = Sonion 2389
Ultra highs = Knowles ?? for SD7 and ???? for SD9

So I assume that:
SD7 = 1x DD + 2x Sonion 37 + 2x Sonion 2389 + 2x Knowles ??
SD9 = 1x DD + 2x Sonion 37 + 4x Sonion 2389 + 2x Knowles ??

The SD9 is pretty tempting.
SD9 indeed is tempting…need impressions!

Jul 30, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #291 of 1,414
God. You have to give us your first impression. Any thoughts or opinions so far? Those look prettier than I had expected :xf_eek:
They do look stunning, especially with how absolutely dense those drivers are crammed in there. That, on its own, is a work of art, but the faceplate looks great too.

Jul 30, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #292 of 1,414
Haha sorry I am frantically getting ready for my trip. Super busy weekend and I don’t want to miss my ferry.

I listened to it briefly and I can tell you it might crack into my top 3. Balanced and very detailed sound with awesome staging in all axis is what I can tell you for now.

Jul 30, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #293 of 1,414
Haha sorry I am frantically getting ready for my trip. Super busy weekend and I don’t want to miss my ferry.

I listened to it briefly and I can tell you it might crack into my top 3. Balanced and very detailed sound with awesome staging in all axis is what I can tell you for now.
Sounds quite promising. I hope you have a great time on your trip! Please give us your opinions once you get back and have a chance to burn them in and get to really enjoy listening to some music with them.

Aug 1, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #294 of 1,414
Here’s my general feelings of the SE11 after few days of listening.

SE11’s sound can be characterized as reference tuned as it boasts (to my ears) spectacular clarity with a high level of transparency. Even compared to my IER-Z1R and Spark, SE11 is clearly a bit more.. well clear. Almost all frequency range are surgically resolved and reveal fine details in music that most other in ear speakers struggle to convey. In my experience, the bass digs very deep and provide a low end that feels very supportive and quite well integrated. Bass is unmistakably DD. Low-end extension, texture, timbre, is all where it should be. Quantity is also adequate and transient behavior is pretty clean and snappy for my taste and bass bleed is nowhere to be found. The SE11’s transients do definitely lean on the faster side of things, which plays nicely with the driver coherency on this fairly complicated IEM. But if I had to nit pick, I feel like the SE11’s bass doesn’t quite slam hard enough. It certainly slams harder than a BA, but I do wish it had a bit more mid bass substance. The other thing is that it has a low end that comes off as a bit dry. However the slight lack of slam and more subbass focus lends itself better to the SE11’s more airy sound. In either case, the SE11’s bass is not the best in class, but it certainly is not bad.

The mids are perhaps the show stopper for the SE11 as they convey extremely natural sounding vocals and instruments with a high clarity, without overloading too much on upper mids region. The particularly snappy midrange transients sound quite right in combination with the faster DD decay.

Electret treble tuned better than most others I’ve heard with a good amplitude, but I do find myself desiring more extension, and perhaps more incisiveness on attack transients to bring out more stick impact, but I find little fault with the SE11’s treble as a whole.

On resolving ability, the clean sound of the SE11 really does shine through. Possibly one of the most resolving IEMs I’ve heard in the macrodetail department next to the Thieaudio Monarch, especially in the midrange.

So in a nutshell, I’d say the SE11 delivers an impressive experience as it sounds great with most of my music, but definitely shines best with genres like jazz, classical, folk, or anything acoustic. You may consider something else if your main material is stadium rock, R&B or metal.

Will compare with the GD3A when it arrives.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #295 of 1,414

SE11’s sound can be characterized as reference tuned as it boasts (to my ears) spectacular clarity with a high level of transparency. Even compared to my IER-Z1R and Spark, SE11 is clearly a bit more.. well clear. Almost all frequency range are surgically resolved and reveal fine details in music that most other in ear speakers struggle to convey. In my experience, the bass digs very deep and provide a low end that feels very supportive and quite well integrated. Bass is unmistakably DD. Low-end extension, texture, timbre, is all where it should be. Quantity is also adequate and transient behavior is pretty clean and snappy for my taste and bass bleed is nowhere to be found. The SE11’s transients do definitely lean on the faster side of things, which plays nicely with the driver coherency on this fairly complicated IEM. But if I had to nit pick, I feel like the SE11’s bass doesn’t quite slam hard enough. It certainly slams harder than a BA, but I do wish it had a bit more mid bass substance. The other thing is that it has a low end that comes off as a bit dry. However the slight lack of slam and more subbass focus lends itself better to the SE11’s more airy sound. In either case, the SE11’s bass is not the best in class, but it certainly is not bad.

The mids are perhaps the show stopper for the SE11 as they convey extremely natural sounding vocals and instruments with a high clarity, without overloading too much on upper mids region. The particularly snappy midrange transients sound quite right in combination with the faster DD decay.

Electret treble tuned better than most others I’ve heard with a good amplitude, but I do find myself desiring more extension, and perhaps more incisiveness on attack transients to bring out more stick impact, but I find little fault with the SE11’s treble as a whole.

On resolving ability, the clean sound of the SE11 really does shine through. Possibly one of the most resolving IEMs I’ve heard in the macrodetail department next to the Thieaudio Monarch, especially in the midrange.

So in a nutshell, I’d say the SE11 deliver an impressive experience as it sounds great with most of my music, but definitely shines best with genres like jazz, classical, folk, or anything acoustic. You may consider something else if your main material is stadium rock, R&B or metal.

Awesome review. I've been waiting for your impression given your kilobucks experience.

Thanks so much for this and hope you're enjoying your vacation!!

Aug 1, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #297 of 1,414
78EE936C-31D8-42AD-B677-59300DF0E206.jpeg
It is a bit crude, but I managed to graph the SE11 vs Spark. As usual, post 8KHz is not reliable with a cheapo mic so take it with a grain of salt.
Wow, that sure looks more balanced than the rather treble heavy Spark.

Aug 1, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #298 of 1,414

It is a bit crude, but I managed to graph the SE11 vs Spark. As usual, post 8KHz is not reliable with a cheapo mic so take it with a grain of salt.

Could you mind telling us which coupler you used? Presumably the IEC 711?
The graph is strangely a lot different from the graph provided by the manufacturer of the SE11.
This graph was provided to me by the seller. The shape is very similar to the graph you measured, but has a much higher peak from upper-mid forwards.

Quite interesting.

SE11.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #299 of 1,414
Could you mind telling us which coupler you used?
The graph is strangely a lot different from the graph provided by the manufacturer of the SE11.
This graph was provided to me by the seller. The shape is very similar to the graph you measured, but has a much higher peak from upper-mid forwards.

Quite interesting.

Usually I use IEC711 clone at home, but I brought my UMM-6 with a tube coupler for my vacation. @Precogvision will measure my set with his rig soon.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #300 of 1,414

So in a nutshell, I’d say the SE11 delivers an impressive experience as it sounds great with most of my music, but definitely shines best with genres like jazz, classical, folk, or anything acoustic. You may consider something else if your main material is stadium rock, R&B or metal.

Were you able to burn this set in before needing to head out for your trip? I found that the DD they used really needs some play time to open up properly, though I definitely agree that even after burn-in, the bass performance does trend a bit leaner than I would necessarily prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back