GS Audio Impressions Thread
Apr 21, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #1,321 of 1,414
In my case there's no miracle that can stop it from sounding strident/ sibilant/ shouty... I already tried multiple tips and cables. This is a pity because despite that peak, everything else sounds great. Unfortunately I can't live with it, having to skip 50% of my tracks.

I guess I should've bought the gd3d ones
I was wondering about the GD3D too? The main difference on the GS Audio graph between GD3C and GD3D is treble beyond 5kHz, so it may not help. I'd ordered the Tipsy TTromso and figured that would cover me for a warm bassy sigature.

TTromso is great BTW, Think warm tone but without losing soundstage. If you like BL-03, it's that, but more technical! :L3000:

Apr 22, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #1,322 of 1,414
GD3C arrived a few days ago... when I first plugged them in, they sounded terrible. :triportsad:

That 5kHz peak was really piercing. Initially I was fuming as this wasn't what I expected. Tried a few tips on them and settled on Tennmak 4.5mm foam tips. That blunted the peak but didn't do great things to the rest of the top end. I finally replaced the cable and that annoying peak disappeared. I tried a Tripowin Zonie 16 core SPC I had spare and the difference was amazing, Peak fell away so I swapped back to KBEAR 07 tips.

I have no idea why the included cable sounded so bright, I wasn't expecting anything like that from a generic 8 core SPC cable. Still, the cable was a bit stiff, and I would have replaced it anyway.

They now sound amazing! Somewhere between Tri Meteor's warmer tone and forward midbass and Starsea's more neutral tuning with details and sub-bass. Haven't had time to A/B them with Olina yet. They sound like they will at least approach them, soundstage and instrument placement are very good.

After tearing my hair out for a day, I am now a happy camper! :L3000:
Hey! I tried a few mods and found an easy one that seems to have fixed that peak! I put a little tube of paper in the BA duct (the outter one).
Just cut two small pieces of paper and roll them around a wire, forming two tubes with the same length and diameter (very important to prevent channel unbalance).

It should look like this:
20220422_211215.jpeg
20220422_211148.jpeg
20220422_211140.jpeg

I can finally enjoy them now!

I also tried a tiny ball of fiber (I think it was silicon fiber, those ones used to fill teddy bears), which helped a ton but also removed too much from the mid and high frequencies. The paper tube is just enough to make it sound pretty good for my taste.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #1,323 of 1,414
Hey! I tried a few mods and found an easy one that seems to have fixed that peak! I put a little tube of paper in the BA duct (the outter one).
Just cut two small pieces of paper and roll them around a wire, forming two tubes with the same length and diameter (very important to prevent channel unbalance).

It should look like this:
20220422_211215.jpeg20220422_211148.jpeg20220422_211140.jpeg
I can finally enjoy them now!

I also tried a tiny ball of fiber (I think it was silicon fiber, those ones used to fill teddy bears), which helped a ton but also removed too much from the mid and high frequencies. The paper tube is just enough to make it sound pretty good for my taste.
Interesting, that is essentially the same mod as the alcohol pad mod used on the JVC FD01 to turn it into the FDX01.

You can consider messing around using these as well:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002584285688.html

Or buy some 2-ply alcohol pads and do the same thing you are doing now.

Apr 23, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #1,324 of 1,414
Interesting, that is essentially the same mod as the alcohol pad mod used on the JVC FD01 to turn it into the FDX01.

You can consider messing around using these as well:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002584285688.html

Or buy some 2-ply alcohol pads and do the same thing you are doing now.
I did try a few filters over the nozzle (I had both the tanyas and arias replacement filters) but they blocked too much of the spectrum. That little tube of paper did just enough to the sound to make that peak go down without changing the rest - at least to my perspective, as I don't have any measurement equipment, but I confirmed it by applying the mod to just one side, which pretty much removed the sibilancy on that side.

I guess this could be related to the duct's diameter, maybe by adding the paper tube, the resonance frequency changes...

Apr 23, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #1,325 of 1,414
I did try a few filters over the nozzle (I had both the tanyas and arias replacement filters) but they blocked too much of the spectrum. That little tube of paper did just enough to the sound to make that peak go down without changing the rest - at least to my perspective, as I don't have any measurement equipment, but I confirmed it by applying the mod to just one side, which pretty much removed the sibilancy on that side.

I guess this could be related to the duct's diameter, maybe by adding the paper tube, the resonance frequency changes...
That filter I linked is only 2.5mm (or 3mm) in diameter. The Tanya filters are 4.8mm.

May 1, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #1,327 of 1,414
Damn seems like GS audio has been dropping the ball a bit with it's newer models. Not that they've fudged things up badly, but reception for their newer models like the gd3c and gt12x have been pretty lukewarm, or pretty mixed. If gd3c treble is as bad as it's been said.. it sounds like the GD3D will be the way to go.

Also finally bit the bullet on the st8b. I just can't believe how cheap it is compared to other very similarly configured iems, this could potentially be a very impressive hidden gem. That said, my expectations still aren't that high, I've not liked many ba iems and just cause the hardware value is great, doesn't mean the tuning will be good. I will be going into my impressions as unbiased as I can, I don't want any buyer justification clouding my impressions, not that it ever has I think considering how critical ive been of some of my more expensive (relative to my collection and budget) iems like the dusk, penon orb and Kato. Graph does look promising and not like some of GS audio's more weirdly tuned stuff so here's hoping. I just placed the order tonight.

I will also likely order the raptgo hook x since I have not tried planar iem yet (though I do own planar closed back headphones that I don't like). I think this will help me finally decide what kind of iems I like best since I've already tried plenty of DD iems (and have preferred them so far) and am finally getting a ba iem that isn't just another cheap driver configuration iem to compare to (I keep getting told by other that the higher end stuff is much better so we'll see). The hook x has the kind of bass shelf I like (slight mid bass and lower mid emphasis). And apparently the piezo driver that handles the treble range has a very similar treble presentation to the zex which I love a ton (and think is way better than the zex pro).

Last edited:
May 1, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #1,328 of 1,414
Damn seems like GS audio has been dropping the ball a bit with it's newer models. Not that they've fudged things up badly, but reception for their newer models like the gd3c and gt12x have been pretty lukewarm, or pretty mixed. If gd3c treble is as bad as it's been said.. it sounds like the GD3D will be the way to go.

Also finally bit the bullet on the st8b. I just can't believe how cheap it is compared to other very similarly configured iems, this could potentially be a very impressive hidden gem. That said, my expectations still aren't that high, I've not liked many ba iems and just cause the hardware value is great, doesn't mean the tuning will be good. I will be going into my impressions as unbiased as I can, I don't want any buyer justification clouding my impressions, not that it ever has I think considering how critical ive been of some of my more expensive (relative to my collection and budget) iems like the dusk, penon orb and Kato. Graph does look promising and not like some of GS audio's more weirdly tuned stuff so here's hoping. I just placed the order tonight.

I will also likely order the raptgo hook x since I have not tried planar iem yet (though I do own planar closed back headphones that I don't like). I think this will help me finally decide what kind of iems I like best since I've already tried plenty of DD iems (and have preferred them so far) and am finally getting a ba iem that isn't just another cheap driver configuration iem to compare to (I keep getting told by other that the higher end stuff is much better so we'll see). The hook x has the kind of bass shelf I like (slight mid bass and lower mid emphasis). And apparently the piezo driver that handles the treble range has a very similar treble presentation to the zex which I love a ton (and think is way better than the zex pro).
You will love ST8B....I do ....one of my favourite IEM out my entire collection

As for GT12x yes the first units are a little off
I have two of them a replacement to the first one I got that was defective and a second I bought....both are awesome.....very nice.

As for 3C..... amazing , just bought a second but custom shell....love it, superior to the 3A
I think it also suffered from some initial production issues, but of there's one thing I praise GS for is how they are willing to sort out issues.

May 1, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #1,329 of 1,414

Congrats on your order!

Just thought I'd chime in to say that as a proud owner of both the Hook X and Timeless, I don't think the Hook X is very representative of what a Planar iem would sound like unlike the Timeless. The Hook X is more cozy, analogue-like, and lower res in a pleasant way A/Bed with my Timeless. The Timeless is more in line with what I experienced trying other Planars like the Euclid and the LCD (one of them, can't remember which one).

Also didn't someone show that the Zex / Zex Pro was actually pretty much a single DD?

May 1, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #1,330 of 1,414
May 1, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #1,331 of 1,414
May 1, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #1,332 of 1,414
Have to hand it to them, they do some of the cleanest / ergonomic / organised builds. That E16 looks beatiful inside but I'm not sure about the graph...

S1a8d33e00bbe4a4cbcfdaf1a889dba80V.jpg

May 1, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #1,333 of 1,414
You will love ST8B....I do ....one of my favourite IEM out my entire collection

As for GT12x yes the first units are a little off
I have two of them a replacement to the first one I got that was defective and a second I bought....both are awesome.....very nice.

As for 3C..... amazing , just bought a second but custom shell....love it, superior to the 3A
I think it also suffered from some initial production issues, but of there's one thing I praise GS for is how they are willing to sort out issues.
I'm very excited to see how the 3c and 3d are going to pan out with others. I feel like at least one of the two will become of their better received iems. Good to hear they sorted out the gt12x, I was slightly disappointed to see that a lot of ppl didn't like it initially. I was gonna get it, but ultimately I find the st8b more interesting because they use the higher end sonion bass drivers, and if I'm gonna move away from my beloved dd iems I better be getting the best bass ba drivers haha.

Congrats on your order!

Just thought I'd chime in to say that as a proud owner of both the Hook X and Timeless, I don't think the Hook X is very representative of what a Planar iem would sound like unlike the Timeless. The Hook X is more cozy, analogue-like, and lower res in a pleasant way A/Bed with my Timeless. The Timeless is more in line with what I experienced trying other Planars like the Euclid and the LCD (one of them, can't remember which one).

Also didn't someone show that the Zex / Zex Pro was actually pretty much a single DD?
I've read the same about the hook x from a lot of others. I'm kind of undecided at this point what I will get because I may just get the timeless instead. S12 looks good too but I prefer lower treble energy. I may just hold it and wait a bit if I like my st8b since planar seems to be the new trend and a lot more planar iems are being made. I'm sure we will see some improvements and better planar iems sooner rather than later. I like a nice analogue sound bit I also like a lot of note weight or thickness, which I've heard the hook x lacks a bit of.
Take a look here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003609326472.html

Its suspected that GS Audio = Leisurely Audio
How many brands have we found that we suspect may share gs audio as an OEM/odm? We should make a list. Off the top of my head, there's fearless audio, definitely hisenior (I'm 100% convinced here), and now leisurely audio. There were one or two more I found I think but I cant remember their names.

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #1,334 of 1,414
I'm very excited to see how the 3c and 3d are going to pan out with others. I feel like at least one of the two will become of their better received iems. Good to hear they sorted out the gt12x, I was slightly disappointed to see that a lot of ppl didn't like it initially. I was gonna get it, but ultimately I find the st8b more interesting because they use the higher end sonion bass drivers, and if I'm gonna move away from my beloved dd iems I better be getting the best bass ba drivers haha.

I've read the same about the hook x from a lot of others. I'm kind of undecided at this point what I will get because I may just get the timeless instead. S12 looks good too but I prefer lower treble energy. I may just hold it and wait a bit if I like my st8b since planar seems to be the new trend and a lot more planar iems are being made. I'm sure we will see some improvements and better planar iems sooner rather than later. I like a nice analogue sound bit I also like a lot of note weight or thickness, which I've heard the hook x lacks a bit of.

How many brands have we found that we suspect may share gs audio as an OEM/odm? We should make a list. Off the top of my head, there's fearless audio, definitely hisenior (I'm 100% convinced here), and now leisurely audio. There were one or two more I found I think but I cant remember their names.

EPZ Q1 looks suspiciously like GS Audio GD3C. That gold leaf and dark wood is pretty distinctive.

S23d8571179954ce99778d997bc2aa5bf8.jpg

H02120be3acf3477ca8f180ea80903f97I.jpg

After cable and tip rolling the GD3C is really starting to grow on me. Not as bassy and relaxed as TRI Meteor and Tipsy TTROMSO. Not as detailed as Olina or TRI Starsea. It's beautifully clean and kind of fills in the middle ground. All get their share of listening depending on mood and what I'm listening to.

Variety is the spice of life! :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back