GS Audio Impressions Thread
Oct 20, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #871 of 1,414
gd5.jpg

GD5 arrived and it sounds great!
this is cool. we are waiting for more detailed impressions

Значок Проверено сообществом

Oct 20, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #875 of 1,414
and the comparison of GD5 with DT600 is also very interesting) my GD5 is already on the way, I want to decide whether it is worth buying Audiosense as well😀
I think GD5 is much better tuned set, so no need to buy the DT600.

Oct 20, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #877 of 1,414
57E05025-5E63-4968-98E9-1179A8B6D7F2.jpeg

Between the DT600 and GD5, the sound signature of the GD5 is close to neutral, whereas DT600 (20ohm OI) is tilted towards bright neutral with subbass boost. This means that the midrange of the GD5 is more prominent in comparison and the bass and treble are more relaxed. The lows of the DT600 shows more contrast from the dipped lower mids so it sounds a bit cleaner but GD5’s bass impact is more tactile and it has rumble to go with its punch. In the midrange the GD5 is thicker, smoother, and more fluid. Clarity levels are similar but the DT600 is slightly more resolving. Overall GD5 is more dynamic, which has an effect not only on fidelity but also on imaging and positioning. The sonic space of the GD5 is easily more well-rounded and more 3-dimensional while the DT600 has a slight upper hand in soundstage width and stereo separation.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #878 of 1,414

Between the DT600 and GD5, the sound signature of the GD5 is close to neutral, whereas DT600 (20ohm OI) is tilted towards bright neutral with subbass boost. This means that the midrange of the GD5 is more prominent in comparison and the bass and treble are more relaxed. The lows of the DT600 shows more contrast from the dipped lower mids so it sounds a bit cleaner but GD5’s bass impact is more tactile and it has rumble to go with its punch. In the midrange the GD5 is thicker, smoother, and more fluid. Clarity levels are similar but the DT600 is slightly more resolving. GD5 is also more dynamic, which has an effect not only on fidelity but also on imaging and positioning. The sonic space of the GD5 is easily more well-rounded and more 3-dimensional while the DT600 has a slight upper hand in soundstage width and stereo separation.
thank you very much, now we are waiting for you to have more free time)))

Oct 20, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #879 of 1,414

Between the DT600 and GD5, the sound signature of the GD5 is close to neutral, whereas DT600 (20ohm OI) is tilted towards bright neutral with subbass boost. This means that the midrange of the GD5 is more prominent in comparison and the bass and treble are more relaxed. The lows of the DT600 shows more contrast from the dipped lower mids so it sounds a bit cleaner but GD5’s bass impact is more tactile and it has rumble to go with its punch. In the midrange the GD5 is thicker, smoother, and more fluid. Clarity levels are similar but the DT600 is slightly more resolving. Overall GD5 is more dynamic, which has an effect not only on fidelity but also on imaging and positioning. The sonic space of the GD5 is easily more well-rounded and more 3-dimensional while the DT600 has a slight upper hand in soundstage width and stereo separation.
and gd5 do not make noise? did you use an adapter with them?

Oct 20, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #880 of 1,414
thank you very much, now we are waiting for you to have more free time)))
The GD5 are excellent, but less dynamic sounding than the GD3A, mostly because the elevated mids bring the overall sound signature closer to reference. The GD3A don't sound all that much brighter despite their additional treble gain, but the bass response of the GD3A is definitely more pronounced. I am sure you'll be pleased, though, once your set comes in. They have a nice, mature sound that really shows how much experience GS Audio has. The GD3A are just punchier and more energetic, but that certainly doesn't mean that the GD5 aren't more than capable.

Oct 20, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #881 of 1,414
Any recommendations from their catalogue for rock/prog/metal/instrumental/live music? I asked them about the the ST4 but it was recommended th SE8 or ST10. I'm bit confused now and options are way more pricey.

Oct 20, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #882 of 1,414
Any recommendations from their catalogue for rock/prog/metal/instrumental/live music? I asked them about the the ST4 but it was recommended th SE8 or ST10. I'm bit confused now and options are way more pricey.
Got any songs you listen to that would be good to gauge what kind of tuning you're looking for?

Oct 20, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #883 of 1,414
Got any songs you listen to that would be good to gauge what kind of tuning you're looking for?
I don't have any suggestions, I'm quite eclectic with what I listen like Tesseract, Haken, Leprous, Porcupine Tree, Riverside, Tool, Deftones, Katatonia, Tool, ISIS, Meshuggah, The Ocean, etc. I also listen to a lot of live music.

Oct 20, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #884 of 1,414
I don't have any suggestions, I'm quite eclectic with what I listen like Tesseract, Haken, Leprous, Porcupine Tree, Riverside, Tool, Deftones, Katatonia, Tool, ISIS, Meshuggah, The Ocean, etc. I also listen to a lot of live music.
Of the sets I've got, I personally prefer the warmth from the GD7B with those artists, but the GD5 has better clarity in the highs for cymbal strikes. The GD3A will lose some of those vocals in the mix due to the more recessed mids, and also due to how metal and certain types of rock tend to over-fill the mid-bass and mids. Unfortunately, I don't own any of their all BA sets or electret hybrids, so I can't comment on their real-world performance. Maybe once @Tonytex gets his ST4 through customs he can see how versatile they are for those genre.

It also doesn't help that rock and metal aren't my usual genres for listening, so I'm mostly going in blind. The GD7B has the least harshness thanks to it's treble rolloff, but the absolutely minute V puts people off since it'll put the vocals very forward and tends to make the soundstage smaller and more intimate. The GD5 introduces a bit of harshness in the treble just because it does actually have treble gain and extension, and a lot of metal, in my experience, has their treble mixed a bit high in their recordings, so it can be a bit hot. It's still listenable, but my treble sensitive ears prefer the GD7B.

Oct 20, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #885 of 1,414
Of the sets I've got, I personally prefer the warmth from the GD7B with those artists, but the GD5 has better clarity in the highs for cymbal strikes. The GD3A will lose some of those vocals in the mix due to the more recessed mids, and also due to how metal and certain types of rock tend to over-fill the mid-bass and mids. Unfortunately, I don't own any of their all BA sets or electret hybrids, so I can't comment on their real-world performance. Maybe once @Tonytex gets his ST4 through customs he can see how versatile they are for those genre.

It also doesn't help that rock and metal aren't my usual genres for listening, so I'm mostly going in blind. The GD7B has the least harshness thanks to it's treble rolloff, but the absolutely minute V puts people off since it'll put the vocals very forward and tends to make the soundstage smaller and more intimate. The GD5 introduces a bit of harshness in the treble just because it does actually have treble gain and extension, and a lot of metal, in my experience, has their treble mixed a bit high in their recordings, so it can be a bit hot. It's still listenable, but my treble sensitive ears prefer the GD7B.
Thanks for the insight. I'll check those as well and with for further impressions of the ST4. Not sure if anyone has the SE8 or ST10.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back