growing audiophile, keeping DAP or new?1
Mar 30, 2010 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

lxlx

100+ Head-Fier
hi,

started reading here 2 weeks ago, meanwhile I have ordered Musiland 02 for PC and home-hifi-use, a pair of UE 5EB IEMs (well that was before reading here) - IE8 on the list ... and now, which DAP as source for the road?

After reading a lot
- the S:flo2 sounds great, but a bit buggy (no easy screen lock e.g., hello?)
- the Cowon D2+ is interesting, a friend uses it, small, good SQ?
- and I own a iriver H140 ... bought it years ago, didn't think of it becoming popular again, heh.

So, I could keep H140, buy a HDD-CF and a fairly fast CF ... about 40€.
Or I buy a used D2+ for about 90€ (16GB)
Or I really trust you guys, buy a buggy DAP from China and hope the sound makes up for it ... help!

I'm not going to amp further, future IEMs as said Sennheiser IE8.
thanks!

Mar 30, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #2 of 9
Are you going to use this for your home at all? If you are I would keep the H140 assuming all is working well. It's a nice option to have that optical out. So buy another if you want but at least keep the iriver.

Can you try your friends' D2? It doesn't matter what anyone here says about it if you don't like the sound the sound. If you're just looking for an just audio player have you thought about anything less expensive like the Sansa Clip+ or the Fuze? Both sound very good (to me anyway) and are rock solid operationally. And you can rockbox the original Fuze & clip (not the Clilp+).

Mar 30, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 9
Welcome to Head-Fi!!

If you're happy with the iRiver I'd say stay with it and use it as long as you're happy with it. Upgrading (or side-grading) for the sake of new toys is a rampant disease in these parts
tongue.gif
But it is fun, I'll admit. And portable gear isn't as hard on the wallet for the most part as home audio.

I just ordered a S:Flo2 yesterday. I bought one because currently the only portable sources I own are my horrible sounding phone, and my uber-portable but spartan Shuffle. I really only wanted more storage and I like that I can watch video on a portable. So me being a person who really just want's to press play and stop I figured the S:Flo2 would be fine for me. The high-quality DAC chips and the nice screen coupled with the low price did it for me.

Another couple of options would be the Samsung P3 and the Sony WalkmanX. Both are probably more than adequate as far as sound quality and you know they'll have a great UI. But you'll pay more.

I'm just a cheap-skate and will put up with a few bugs to save a C-note.
k701smile.gif

Happy listening

Apr 19, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to Head-Fi!!

If you're happy with the iRiver I'd say stay with it and use it as long as you're happy with it. Upgrading (or side-grading) for the sake of new toys is a rampant disease in these parts
tongue.gif
But it is fun, I'll admit. And portable gear isn't as hard on the wallet for the most part as home audio.

Another couple of options would be the Samsung P3 and the Sony WalkmanX. Both are probably more than adequate as far as sound quality and you know they'll have a great UI. But you'll pay more.

Happy listening

I'd have to agree with some points but not all. If you are happy with the player, then by all means spend a couple bucks and replace the HDD with the CF card. Fresh new memory and it's a cheap method as well.
If you want to get a different player, the s:flo2 is a great DAP and the kinks/bugs have been worked out quite nicely. There's still a few things that I don't like such as no sorting alphabetically or by genres, but if you can get by that it's an amazing player.

However, the s:flo2 does sound better than the Samsung P3 and Walkmen X stated above. It truely is an impressive player.

Apr 20, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #7 of 9
^ I agree. It wasn't too long ago I was considering selling my s:flo2 and getting an iRiver to couple with a new D10 but.... I ended up just getting a higher tiered amp.

Apr 20, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by renyiandhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just keep your H140, it is much better than D2. The s:flo2 is good, but with many bugs.

What bugs exactly? I use mine at least 4 hours daily and I haven't had a "bug" in months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back