Grover ICs and Analogue
Apr 1, 2004 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

New Head-Fier
Anyone use the Grover ICs with a turntable and what is your impression? By the way thanks Pigmode for the great review "The new Grover MK111 ICs" review 3-28-04.

Apr 1, 2004 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 7
EVI,

I'm going to be using Grover SRs with my VPI Scout. I have a pair right now on my Meridian which is gonna be moved to between my phonostage and integrated (Unico) and there is a package en-route to me now (should be arriving tomorrow) that has a pair of his shielded SRs ICs and a pair of his SR speaker cable.

Hopefully my phonostage (Grado PH-1)will be arriving tomorrow as well and I'll be able to update this thread with initial impressions.

Fred

Apr 5, 2004 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 7
EVI,

My Grover SR Phono editions arrived today. They are the same color of the other SRs but slightly thicker. Also these appear to be the first edition to the Grover line that is directional (or atleast conviently designated). My phonostage should be arriving tomorrow but it only has ~5hrs on it and my Scout has zero, but I'll post early impressions in the next few days.

Apr 6, 2004 at 8:58 PM Post #5 of 7
Well, the grovers are on my PH-1 and scout and my first impressions.....

Unremarkable.

I don't think it's the grovers so much as the phono having less then 10 hrs and the vpi scout having less then 3 but off the bat it sounds distant, hollow, and boring. Bass needs to fill in and the pace seems slow.

More to come later.

Apr 7, 2004 at 9:06 PM Post #6 of 7
I've played around a little bit with tracking weight and am liking the results I get a little above 1.5 grams.

Its still harsh in the upper midrange though the top and bottom end seem pretty controlled. Imaging and soundstaging is great and the musicality is there.

Any further comments I make will be pretty much about the actual scout/grado setup. I mean, the phono cable seems to be very effective. Nice and detailed no RFI or anything getting through---it is shielded after all, and the other IC carrying the line level source was the same one I'd used on my Meridian and my impressiosn (see MK III thread) still stand.

These are FYI the Phono and regular edition of the SR NOT the MKIIIs. But yea, they have my go ahead. Very nice affordable cables.

Apr 14, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #7 of 7
I did some rolling with my cables (things I already owned and found a combination I much prefered).

I still run the Grover SR phono edition from my VPI Scout to my Grado PH-1 but from the PH-1 to Integrated amp I now use a Bogdan Silver Spirit. The Grado cartridge and phonostage already had a very full bodied, warm sound and I feel the neurality of the Bogdan really completemented it better then the second Grover.

Further, I wasn't really liking the more neutral BSSRs on my Meridian and from their first installation felt the Grover matted better. They are ever so slightly less neutral (and a tiny splash warmer) in the midrange and to my ears that extra little splash makes for a much more pleasant listening expereince.

I'll conceed what people have said about te Bogdans providing astonishing low level detail, but I find myself prioritizing the midrange a bit more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back