Group Buy: Eastsound CD-E5 - within Canada
May 6, 2005 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

chillysalsa

Headphoneus Supremus
As per the following thread:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...50#post1379550

I have contacted Cattylink Research in China and they are offering a price of $625 USD (+ import fees and shipping from me Toronto) on this amazing player.

Impressions and comparisons rank this unit above several $1k players, and it uses key components like the DAC, clock, and class-A output stage similar to those only found in units from the likes of Gryphon, and Mark Levinson.

Pictures and description can be found here:
http://www.audiocostruzioni.com/r_s/.../esound-e5.htm

Comments and comparisons:
http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/dig...es/104320.html

If you live in Canada and are interested, please post and send me a PM.

esound-e5-3.jpg

P1010072.JPG

Local pick-up from downtown Toronto would be possible when they come in too, so you can save yourself the shipping costs.

A minimum of 5 + myself is required for the deal to go through.

Here is the list of the other prospective buyers:

Bruno (Picked-up)
Brian (Picked up)
Jeff (Shipped, to Mac)
Xeno7651 (Picked up)
Randy (Shipped)

What their status means: this is the progression of different situations for each person, and how I'll designate what stage they are at:

1) Tenantative: I'm waiting to confirm they are committed to the process, pricing, etc.
2) Committed: they have confirmed they are in on the group buy. Yes, I of course you still haven't paid anything at the 'Committed' point, it's just so I know when to send out all the funding requests at one time.

Once all participants are 'Committed', I will send their emails to Cattylink, and Snowy will email out Funding Requests for $625 from each person.

3) Paid 1st installment (Cattylink): will be updated when they have answered Cattylink and sent funds to Snowy

Once Cattylink gets funds for 6 units, they will ship out. Once I receive the shipment, I will send a funding request showing you the total for shipping from Toronto to your location + any import fees / taxes.

4) Paid 2nd installment (Chillysalsa): once I get this I will update you.

5) Shipped: to Final Destination!

My numerous 100% positive feedbacks:
Head-fi: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40904
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...userid=apg_123

May 6, 2005 at 1:33 PM Post #4 of 28
When is the estimated delivery timeframe?

Is is impossible for chillysalsa to ship into the states?

May 6, 2005 at 1:35 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
Is is impossible for chillysalsa to ship into the states?

Well in your case since you are nice and close you could always just attend a Canadian meet that chillysalsa was also attending and pick it up.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2005 at 1:59 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
I want one of these.

Jason - can you help?

I'm sure we can figure something out.
cool.gif

May 6, 2005 at 2:03 PM Post #8 of 28
I'll take one and figure out how to get it out of Canada later
tongue.gif
Seriously, count me in.

edit: PM sent.

May 6, 2005 at 2:05 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
I'll take one and figure out how to get it out of Canada later.

Here is hoping you like it when you hear it in Detroit on the 20th.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm a little worried since you have been exposed to all those toys at the Wadia plant that it will not impress you. Then again, it does kick ass.
icon10.gif

May 6, 2005 at 2:10 PM Post #10 of 28
Well, I wouldn't have much of a problem shipping to the states, but the only issue is that it will drive up the price. Shipping from Toronto to the US would be about the same, but the person in the US will be paying another set of for taxes / import fees from Canada to US.

I am not sure, but this could drive the price up to the point that just buying it individually from Cattylink would be about the same?? One would have to check into US import legislation.

Declaring the value of the goods at say, 10% of the actual value is not an option - that would mean it would be insured for shipping only that value (and yeah, you're breaking the law too). So I don't think most people would be in favour of that, am I wrong?

May 6, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #11 of 28
Some more detials & math...

- as for delivery time, the biggest bottleneck getting people to commit to buying
- $625 USD includes shipping from China to Toronto by DHL
- Once enough buyers have committed, I will request the 1st payment converted to Canadian funds from each buyer, either by Paypal, money order, or cheque (small delay for it to clear)
- after all the payments are recieved, the batch will be ordered from Cattylink, and shipping time of under 1 week is estimated
- upon arrival, any outstanding import fees (estimated ~$100 CDN based on sales taxes) and shipping fees (estimated at ~$30) within Canada will be requested, and the units will be individually shipped to each buyer after the 2nd payment for these fees is recieved. Shipping ~1 week within Canada.

The alternative is to order it individually from Cattylink, which is $779 USD + import fees (if you insure the shipment for the full amount) = $895 USD, so you save ~$150 USD through the group buy.

May 7, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #12 of 28
May 8, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #13 of 28
I asked Snowy about payment and warranties, and go the following response (his is in all Caps)
Quote:

1- Payment: can each person just call you and give their Visa / Mastercard #, and reference this groupbuy so you ship all the units to one location after all the people have paid you.
*****PLEASE USE PAYPAL FOR PAYMENT. NO PROBLEM FOR INDIVIDUAL PAYMENT BUT PLEASE INCLUDE THE 3.5% PAYPAL CHARGES (I CAN SEND A PAYMENT REQUEST TO EACH OF YOUR MEMBER AND THIS WILL BE A GOOD WAY I THINK)

2- Warranty: is there any warranty on the player if something goes wrong later?
*****IN THIS BATCH TO YOUR GROUP BUY ESOUND WILL CONDUCT A THOROUGH QA TEST BEFORE DELIVERY TO OUR WAREHOUSE. OUR TECHNICAL SUPPORT UNIT WILL THEN CONDUCT OUR OWN 120HOUR QA TESTS. BASED ON THAT WE THINK THE CHANCE OF PROBLEMS ON ARRIVAL WILL BE EXTREMELY SMALL.

*****REGARDING CD-E5 THE CHANCE OF ELECTRIC BOARD, DAC BOARD OR MAIN BOARD PROBLEM IS UNLIKELY TO HAPPEN BASED ON THE QA TESTS RECORDS OF THE PAST YEAR. ESOUND HAS, HOWEVER, OFFERED 1 YEAR ORIGINAL WARRANTY OF THEM TO YOUR GROUP BUT OBVIOUSLY ESOUND AND US COULD NOT BEAR THE TRANSPORTATION COST; I WISH YOU CAN UNDERSTAND THAT AS THE PRICE FOR THIS GROUP BUY IS FOR PROMOTION PURPOSE AND THE PROFIT MARGIN IS VERY SMALL INDEED.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back