Grist for the mill - iPod/iPhone internals
Oct 8, 2009 at 10:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

estreeter

Headphoneus Supremus
Internals of the 3G iPhone, clearly showing the audio chip, but I wouldnt know who made it from this photo:

3G iPhone

And the much-vaunted iPhone 3GS - again, my eyes cant distinguish the audio chip:

3GS iPhone

Teardown of the 3G Touch, but I cant even tell where the audio chip is (anyone ?). Its supposed to have the 'same internals' as the 3GS, if that helps... :

iPod touch 3rd Generation Teardown - Page 2 - iFixit

6TH Gen Classic - again, I cant see much beyong 'Apple' branding on the chips:

iPod Classic Teardown - Page 2 - iFixit

I expect that Apple are keeping their options open with their suppliers - if they want to change chip makers in the future, it makes sense to award a contract for several million chips with 'Apple' branding to whichever company can deliver on time and on budget. I still believe that too much emphasis has been placed on which DAC was in which model : I'm more interested in which model had more R&D thrown at audio over the 'gee whiz' marketing toys (its got a *camera* ? gee whiz, dad !) that Apple count on to ship product.

Happy to see links which show the audio chip in each of these more clearly, but I'm guessing its a nondescript little chip with 'Apple' or the logo on it - apologies if I've missed the blindingly obvious in the examples above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back